Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D changes Phantom line naming & output to RMS value
Kind of hard to keep track of all the changes to the Phantom line since launch xD

- It seems like what used to be Phantom Premier, Silver and Gold is now the "Phantom I" line, comprised of the "Phantom I 103 DB" and the "Phantom I 108 DB", with the latter still available as Opéra de Paris version
- Phantom Reactor is now the "Phantom II" line, comprised of "Phantom II 95 DB" and "Phantom II 98 DB"
- output is now given in Watts RMS, from 350 Watts RMS with Phantom II 95 DB to 1100 Watts RMS with Phantom I 108 DB

Hope I have everything correct there.. : )

While I think this is confusing to many of us watching the development since the first Phantom launch, I do think this is clearer for new customers. What do you think?
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.
(10-Feb-2021, 12:41)WesCrackin Wrote: Kind of hard to keep track of all the changes to the Phantom line since launch xD

- It seems like what used to be Phantom Premier, Silver and Gold is now the "Phantom I" line, comprised of the "Phantom I 103 DB" and the "Phantom I 108 DB", with the latter still available as Opéra de Paris version
- Phantom Reactor is now the "Phantom II" line, comprised of "Phantom II 95 DB" and "Phantom II 98 DB"
- output is now given in Watts RMS, from 350 Watts RMS with Phantom II 95 DB to 1100 Watts RMS with Phantom I 108 DB

Hope I have everything correct there.. : )

While I think this is confusing to many of us watching the development since the first Phantom launch, I do think this is clearer for new customers. What do you think?
I would agree with this.  The old designations of 3000 watts, 4500 watts, or whatever, were fairly meaningless.  A bit like 80's budget Hi Fi units with "1000 Watts PMPO" written on them.  By comparison, a dB rating is far more meaningful and easier to relate to.

This reminds me of an event at Oxford Audio, just after the original Phantoms were launched.  Myself and @NickB were asking Mathieu Pernot how powerful the Phantoms are in RMS.  He seemed reluctant to give a straight answer, mentioning stuff like how there were separate ADH modules for bass etc.  Eventually he said something like "about 400 watts RMS".  To me this was far more interesting, and informative, than the marketing lead "3000 Watts" nonsense, and the new dB ratings are even better.

That said, I think I preferred the Reactors being called Reactors and the Phantoms being called Phantoms, rather than the new Phantom I and Phantom II designations.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12