Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS Recommendatons
Thinking of going down the NAS route, as I'm not 100% happy with streaming performance - dropouts etc.

Synology has been recommended to me - anyone using one?
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I'm using (intel) QNAP and I'm pretty happy with it. This is the second QNAP I have owned and so far I have no complaints. From what I've understood Synology is pretty much comparable with QNAP and that in mind, I'd assume Synology would be a good choice.

The site http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ has some reviews and benchmarks, if you're into that kinda thing Wink
Intel Qnap for me too (TS-459 Pro II). Great device. After using noisy hot Seagate Barracudas for years I'm using WD Reds which are almost completely silent and run very cool. Not super-fast disks but fast enough for a NAS.
Buffalo sells "audio grade" NAS named DELA in Japan. There are two models: N1Z (USD7,000) and N1A (USD1,500). N1Z is equipped with 2 SSDs (512GB x 2) while N1A has two HDDs (1TB x 2). Both have a direct ethernet port which connects NAS to a PC/Mac or a network player directly and don't require a HUB or a router. With this direct connection, you can avoid any noise associated with LAN.

I cannot comment on sound quality as I have not directly compared DELA with other regular NAS products. However, they are being well received by audiophiles in Japan and I would buy N1A if I switch the current firewire music storage HDD to a NAS solution. I read a review that DELA is clearly better than QNAP.

Here is a link to Buffalo website and an article on the products in English.
http://dela-audio.com
http://akihabaranews.com/2014/02/21/arti...1036493665
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
Thanks guys, very helpful
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I did try out QNAP, Thecus and Synology and ended up with Synology as the most reliable solution for me. besides Audio streaming (which doesn't need to much throuput) I use for editing and streaming 4k and 4k+ video.
Today's configuration is an Synology DS1813+ in the following configuration:

3 1 GB Ethernet ports as span ports bundled for the switch connection to my MacPro Video Editing Machine via an HP Switch
1 1 GB port directly connected to my Jriver Audio PC
4 GB Ram extension
6 4 TB WD Raid
2 Samsung SSD 512 GB Evo 840 pro (as cache)
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(07-Jul-2014, 05:49)ozthepoz Wrote: Thinking of going down the NAS route, as I'm not 100% happy with streaming performance - dropouts etc.

Synology has been recommended to me - anyone using one?

Hi - yes, use a Synology 212j for over a year and it's never missed a beat. Fantastic UI (Synology Disk Manager) which makes set up and maintenance a breeze. Also, very quiet (although mine is in separate room from hi-fi). Some great apps available in the Download Centre - including one called DS Audio which allows me to stream my FLAC library on the NAS, transcode to MP3 (or WAV) and send to my iDevice, over wireless or 3G. So - iPod Classic no longer used - I can listen to anything from my home library, anywhere, on my iPhone. Awesome!

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
I now have a Synology DS412+, before that I had a QNAP NAS. The Synology software is a lot more user friendly and the DS412+ is a very quiet machine. The main advantage of QNAP is it's build quality. The Qnap is all metal, while the Synology is all plastic.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(08-Jul-2014, 09:53)Eddye Wrote: I now have a Synology DS412+, before that I had a QNAP NAS. The Synology software is a lot more user friendly and the DS412+ is a very quiet machine. The main advantage of QNAP is it's build quality. The Qnap is all metal, while the Synology is all plastic.

Good point. When I unboxed my Synology, it felt very lightweight indeed, with no discs. Also, the 212j doesn't allow for hot swapping of discs, so the OP needs (as we all do) to have a robust backup strategy. Having said that, I'm in no rush to change.
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(08-Jul-2014, 09:53)Eddye Wrote: I now have a Synology DS412+, before that I had a QNAP NAS. The Synology software is a lot more user friendly and the DS412+ is a very quiet machine. The main advantage of QNAP is it's build quality. The Qnap is all metal, while the Synology is all plastic.
Are you comparing to the new QNAP 4.x series software or the old one?