Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS drives direct into Dialog?
(09-Jul-2015, 15:45)frix Wrote: I hope the phantoms will become way more flexible in the way one can stream content.
Don't get me wrong. I'm really intrigued by them.

Though reading here it still seems very beta with limitied options to actually get music/movies playing on them.
Disappointing considering the premium price tag.
I hope devialet delivers in the near future.

Certainly 4 months ago when I got mine the software and firmware were very buggy. There have been 4 updates since then iirc and now it does exactly what was claimed except connect to their expert range via USB, which they are working on.

AFAIK they never promised anything other than Spark, which now works fine, though it is as rubbish as all the others at classical music.
Spark can stream from Deezer, Qobuz or Tidal off the internet and can locate and stream any music files that can be seen by the computer it is running on, including remote NAS drives

I agree that only being able to play a CD transport with an optical output is a slight limit, but it seems to me that the sort of person these are aimed at mainly stream from the internet anyway.

People who favour LPs are probably fundamentally opposed to the concept of the Phantom anyway so only a very few of us probably miss that, and it is not impossible anyway.

Some people are using them with video, which never occurred to me but I don't watch much TV or video anyway.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

So you can't have your NAS connected to Dialog, run Spark from an iPad (or similar) and read the music from the NAS?
(09-Jul-2015, 16:38)Confused Wrote: So you can't have your NAS connected to Dialog, run Spark from an iPad (or similar) and read the music from the NAS?

I don't think so, but I haven't tried it. Even though I have had an iPad since they came out in the USA I have slowly gone off it, using one less and less. My little Macbook pro isn't much bigger but has a keyboard, 1tB ssd and 16gB of ram, so I can do loads more with it.
It is on the network so all I need to do is point Spark at the NAS and all the music shows up, including that which is actually the backup of my Meridian Control 15...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(09-Jul-2015, 16:04)f1eng Wrote: Spark can [...] locate and stream any music files that can be seen by the computer it is running on, including remote NAS drives

This is not exactly true, it can also play the audio track of video files!

(discovered this on Monday)
Another of the promises that Devialet has broken. They said that the Dialogue would be compatible to UPNP so NAS and other devices could be directly connected to the system.

Nowadays it is very complicated for me because to be able to read from the NAS I need the computer to be On and also de NAS connected to the computer and each time it disconnects it needs to load tha albums again and you lost all the playlist you made.

The Quality of the system is amazong. I just can't understand it's flawed software.
You should mount your NAS drive onto your smartphone (if it's an Android, t's easy, i don't know recent idevice much), and run Spark on it, playing your music from your smartphone running Spark?
(12-Jan-2017, 18:56)Zumb Wrote: You should mount your NAS drive onto your smartphone (if it's an Android, t's easy, i don't know recent idevice much), and run Spark on it, playing your music from your smartphone running Spark?

Spark will not detect any music on the Iphone that it's not itunes.
(12-Jan-2017, 00:44)ivandolz Wrote: Another of the promises that Devialet has broken. They said that the Dialogue would be compatible to UPNP so NAS and other devices could be directly connected to the system.

Nowadays it is very complicated for me because to be able to read from the NAS I need the computer to be On and also de NAS connected to the computer and each time it disconnects it needs to load tha albums again and you lost all the playlist you made.

The Quality of the system is amazong. I just can't understand it's flawed software.

A Raspberry Pi (RPi) with optical output (e.g. Hifiberry Digi+) can bring you the solution for less than 100€. I agree that Devialet should hold promise and I would prefer to have all in Spark (combined with better features for cataloging and search). On the RPi I run moode. Others of the forum use roon.