Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS recommendation - silent / fanless QNAP HS-251+
For all interested to follow JRiver release on QNAP - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p...c=100018.0
I can't find any user manuals online, so I wonder if I can pick someone's brain!

Being an early adopter of broadband, before wireless networking became available, my Mac which is on the floor above my Devialet 200, is wired with an Ethernet cable.  Can the Qnap simply be daisy chained in between Mac and Dev. so that I could either have the Qnap next to my Mac or on the rack with my audio equipment? I think the Qnap has an HDMI output, so does that mean that I could also connect it directly to my TV as well as my Dev? 

TIA for your help!

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I can't find any user manuals online, so I wonder if I can pick someone's brain!

Being an early adopter of broadband, before wireless networking became available, my Mac which is on the floor above my Devialet 200, is wired with an Ethernet cable.  Can the Qnap simply be daisy chained in between Mac and Dev. so that I could either have the Qnap next to my Mac or on the rack with my audio equipment? I think the Qnap has an HDMI output, so does that mean that I could also connect it directly to my TV as well as my Dev? 

TIA for your help!

Alex.

PS. What's the difference between the 251 and 251+?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(05-Nov-2015, 00:57)markush Wrote:
(04-Nov-2015, 17:47)Mohmm Wrote: Does it run hot while playing music files?
Not at all! I am using 2x6TB WD Red in the HS-251+ and even when doing some performance demanding operations like streaming HD Video with High-Definition Audio it's running very silent. The WD Red drives have been explicitly developed for NAS requirements - also streaming video / audio files.
Along with the QManager tool you can easily check via your smartphone or tablet all the relevant resources of the NAS including temperature of the System / Processor / Harddrives. I'd really recommend the WD Red drives as they provide great performance, running very silent and reliable.

Great that it digests also high TB HDDs. Thanks to all.
(08-Nov-2015, 09:32)Axel Wrote: I can't find any user manuals online, so I wonder if I can pick someone's brain!

TIA for your help!

Alex.

Anyone?
South Coast England
(09-Nov-2015, 10:38)Axel Wrote:
(08-Nov-2015, 09:32)Axel Wrote: I can't find any user manuals online, so I wonder if I can pick someone's brain!

TIA for your help!

Alex.

Anyone?
You can directly connect the QNAP to your TV via HDMI - along with the remote (as well as with the smartphone / tablet apps) - this is a very convenient way to use your apps.
JRiver for QNAP will also be available in the next few days.
You can connect the QNAP via ethernet (to your router, Mac etc.) to access your files and also for direct playback via USB to the Devialet. It features also USB Audio out - so a perfect combination with the Devialet.
So yes - you can either connect it directly to your TV or Devialet.

The difference is that 251+ has more RAM (2GB) and a faster processor (Quad-Core). What is amazing is the price drop - QNAP is providing the 251+ now at around EUR 300,-
I was toying with the idea of using the Qnap's VM option and installing windows server 2012 and Jriver etc, but was put off a bit when someone said it would introduce more noise etc etc... than with a dedicated external Music server....
#
But, now with Jriver server round the corner for Qnap, it would be less hassle to try... so I was kinda wondering about using the USB direct to the Dev (with Jitterbug?), and see what happens?

What do others think?
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
(09-Nov-2015, 15:26)teddlesdee Wrote: I was toying with the idea of using the Qnap's VM option and installing windows server 2012 and Jriver etc, but was put off a bit when someone said it would introduce more noise etc etc... than with a dedicated external Music server....
#
But, now with Jriver server round the corner for Qnap, it would be less hassle to try... so I was kinda wondering about using the USB direct to the Dev (with Jitterbug?), and see what happens?

What do others think?
That's exactly the way I'm going to use it - just currently doing beta testing.
USB has even a better performance than AIR and along with Audioquest Jitterbug or USB Regen things will sound incredible!
(09-Nov-2015, 12:50)markush Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 10:38)Axel Wrote:

TIA for your help!

Alex.

Anyone?
You can directly connect the QNAP to your TV via HDMI - along with the remote (as well as with the smartphone / tablet apps) - this is a very convenient way to use your apps.
You can connect the QNAP via ethernet (to your router, Mac etc.) to access your files and also for direct playback via USB to the Devialet. It features also USB Audio out - so a perfect combination with the Devialet.

The difference is that 251+ has more RAM (2GB) and a faster processor (Quad-Core). What is amazing is the price drop - QNAP is providing the 251+ now at around EUR 300,-

Thanks for that. What I really need to know is if it is possible to connect Mac to Qnap to Dev using only Ethernet? Because I may decide to keep the Qnap upstairs with the Mac.
South Coast England
(09-Nov-2015, 23:17)Axel Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 12:50)markush Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 10:38)Axel Wrote: Anyone?

Thanks for that. What I really need to know is if it is possible to connect Mac to Qnap to Dev using only Ethernet? Because I may decide to keep the Qnap upstairs with the Mac.
That will work too.