Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with Devialet 200 when you have different source of music
Hi guys,
I just got my Devialet Expert 200 and recently joined the forum. Last night I have tried it with Roon AIR and get good result.
The system currently includes:
Devialet Expert 200
QNAP NAS (only store music)
SonicTransporter i5 (running Roon Server/Core)

Both Devialet and SonicTransporter connected to the same router via ethernet cable.
At the moment I can stream music via Roon flawlessly, no dropouts etc. However I cannot stream Spotify, Airplay because this is not a “Pro” version.
So I found a solution with the AppleTV (old generation) which has Optical audio, I tried to connect it with the Devialet and it works as well. Basically I can now stream Airplay and Spotify from my phone to the Devialet.

My problem is I want to separate my music, for example Roon & NAS will store all high-res, DSD files, I will only use Roon for critical listening. Apart from that I store pop music, mp3… to my phone, and I also stream music from Spotify.
I’m thinking of adding a Network bridge player, like a Auralic Aries. This way the Auralic takes responsibility of all streaming, also acting as Roon ready player, and stream Spotify and Airplay from my phone. This way I won’t have to change the input back and forth while playing Roon and Spotify.

I want to ask a few questions:

1. Compare to the AppleTV, is Auralic Aries the better option?

1. Any of you have the same setup (Devialet + Auralic Aries)? How do you connect them? Via USB or AES ?

1. Any of you have same situation (different source of music) and how do you solve it neatly with your Devialet?

Thank you for reading.
I really wouldn’t bother getting an Aries for Spotify and Airplay - seems like changing input is a simple enough thing! Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

But in terms of sound quality, do you think the Aries is better than the AppleTV?
You’d think so, but I’ve never had one - there are a few users here though. I honestly don’t think it’ll make a difference with Spotify as a source though.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Oct-2018, 22:46)kylevuong Wrote: But in terms of sound quality, do you think the Aries is better than the AppleTV?

I have a D200, an Apple TV and I had a Aries too.
The Aries is far better that ATV., the best connection, for my experience, is the AES input (better than USB).
The apple device stream only in 48/24, it's a good choice for mp3/spotify.
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -
(24-Oct-2018, 11:59)Paperman Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 22:46)kylevuong Wrote: But in terms of sound quality, do you think the Aries is better than the AppleTV?

The Aries is far better that ATV., the best connection, for my experience, is the AES input (better than USB).

Thanks for your reply. Can you let me know if you use both AppleTV and Aries for streaming airplay/spotify?

Do you think AES input to the Devialet is better than ethernet cable?
(25-Oct-2018, 06:23)kylevuong Wrote:
(24-Oct-2018, 11:59)Paperman Wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Can you let me know if you use both AppleTV and Aries for streaming airplay/spotify?

Do you think AES input to the Devialet is better than ethernet cable?

I try these inputs in different configurations: the AES with the Aries (full femto) and the ethernet with a NUC as Roon/Rock server only.
Yes, the Aries>AES sound a little better, but I like more the "minimalism" of the devialet stand alone without other gear connected (except for the turntable), so this is now my choice.

I use the ATV as A/V and airplay inputs only. I don't have spotify but sometimes I use it with Tidal, with good SQ but nothing like the other digital inputs.

Alberto
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -