Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Amps ?
Yes, yes, let's keep respect and sense of humor at the same level as the audio we want to hear.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
Still no hardware updates or anything right. Im wondering wether is shall buy the expert 140/220 pro or wait for like six months. The products is approximately 5 years old right?
Hi Kermak, and welcome.

I hardly pay attention to gear once I have my stuff, unless I develop some urge for an addition, or have functional or sonic annoyances. So, I'm not at all in the news loop, for Devialet or anybody else.

My sense, however, is that the current Pro CI series of amps are probably here for the long term, at least in Devialet's vision. I can't see any radical new line of products to replace the current series. If there were, it would almost certainly be a retrofittable upgrade if hardware, and downloadable if it were software. There could be new models, but again, my guess would be on some variation of existing amps in new dual mono configurations, or possibly a different entry level amp? Total guesses. I always wished for a phantom-based sub, but that never happened.

The Expert to Pro change was really a big one; radical surgery on the internals for the 'Pro' part, and then a more modest, but notable hardware addition for the 'CI' part.

To some extent it may be like computers; if what is available now does what you want and what you need, then in you go. The only thing that comes to mind is that since the Devialet release of the Premier, and moreso after the Expert line, other manufacturers have begun making amps that, in many ways (IMHO), have followed / copied the compact, multi-functional typology of the Devialet products. So, there are more choices now. Is a NAD M33 a worthy alternative? Possibly. But the 140 ProCI is very likely a finer sonic product (says I), and the NAD is really a great product as well.

My guess is that if you wait six months, you will be looking at the same menu. May as well eat now and savour the meal << (note new audio analogy: 5 points to me. But who's counting).
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
The problem we have with the current CI is the nonsense of having to insert and remove SD cards to configure the system, particularly when there are two boxes involve as per my 1000 system. Additionally, adjusting elements of the system has to be done in conjunction with the clunky controller and the minuscule screen on the amplifier itself. All these features should have been in an app years ago. Someone, somewhere deep in Devialet has decided to abandon the Expert system in terms of operability. There is absolutely no excuse.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
@Gerronwithit I agree with you completely, but much more of a worry for me is the continuing dependency on the on-line configurator. As far as I know Devialet already seem to have stopped bothering to fix its known defects, which include some quite significant ones for dual-mono systems.

I wish Devialet would open-source the configurator so that (1) defects could be fixed by owners with suitable knowledge and experience, and (2) it would be possible to run it on a non-Devialet server in case the worst happened. At the very least, Devialet should document the syntax and semantics of the configuration file so that alternative tools could be developed in case the on-line configurator ceases to be.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(02-May-2022, 21:18)thumb5 Wrote: @Gerronwithit I agree with you completely, but much more of a worry for me is the continuing dependency on the on-line configurator. As far as I know Devialet already seem to have stopped bothering to fix its known defects, which include some quite significant ones for dual-mono systems.

I wish Devialet would open-source the configurator so that (1) defects could be fixed by owners with suitable knowledge and experience, and (2) it would be possible to run it on a non-Devialet server in case the worst happened.  At the very least, Devialet should document the syntax and semantics of the configuration file so that alternative tools could be developed in case the on-line configurator ceases to be.

Agree totally!   And if they truly have decided to stop further development on the Expert Pro line, I can't for the life of me think of why they wouldn't release this information.   But they will also need to release the info needed to write the correct checksum in the config files so that the Expert Pros can read them.   Personally, I was hoping that the web page you see called 'Devialet Configuration' when you type in the IP address of your Expert Pro in a browser would ultimately provide a means to bypass the SD card.  

But, as usual, nothing but crickets from Devialet.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Jeeze Guys,

The SD card thing isn't that big a deal. Well, it isn't for me. I can see that it is not totally mod and rapid, on-the-fly changeable, but as far as I can tell, you get things dialled in with a bunch of changes, then a few more, then you settle down and stop playing with it. Imagine, if you will, an amp with no programmability... you just got wha'chu got, outta the box. Yep, that's how old I am.

Anyhow, @kermak , their opinions are valid and worth noting. It will be an issue for some, and nothing at all for others. It really is hard to know what Devialet's current or future plans are. Unless somebody has insider knowledge, I don't think anyone can say that the amps are abandoned, or otherwise ignored. Or that there isn't some new iteration in the works.

I still feel there is nothing new or radical coming, so no need to wait if the current offerings do what you want. I also still feel the Devialet is an outstanding amplifier, and of all the components in my simple system, it is the last one I'd change.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Absolutely no problem with the sound coming out of my Devialet which also blows away any guest who has the privilege of hearing it. The Stone Age controls are an absolute disgrace, totally discrediting the claims of the sophisticated electronics within the package. Rummaging around the back of two boxes for the SD cards and having to configure the system on a PC when this should all be done on-line dynamically is simply pathetic. The CI board was supposed to be a Great Leap Forward, pity it got stranded in the starting blocks.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(03-May-2022, 11:45)Gerronwithit Wrote: Absolutely no problem with the sound coming out of my Devialet which also blows away any guest who has the privilege of hearing it. The Stone Age controls are an absolute disgrace, totally discrediting the claims of the sophisticated electronics within the package. Rummaging around the back of two boxes for the SD cards and having to configure the system on a PC when this should all be done on-line dynamically is simply pathetic. The CI board was supposed to be a Great Leap Forward, pity it got stranded in the starting blocks.

It is really a matter of usecase and perception. 

To me, the single most important control for an amplifier is the volume. 

I’m yet to see another remote volume control that feels so satisfying as the Devialet’s one under my palm, so it does not feel Stone Age to me!

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Thank you for the replies! The lack of involvement and information from Devialet with respect to their amps is indeed sad. On the other hand, their product is in ways still superior in comparison with most competitors. The SD card wont be a problem for me, because I intend to use one pair of speakers.

I do wonder if it will be wise to buy the 140 or the 220 in combination with my B&W 702 Signature speakers.