Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New Aurender models; X100 vs N100 vs N10 vs S10 ?
I've been looking to replace my mac mini music server for some time now and intend to go with a streamer/renderer. From what I've read, the Aurender line has the most appeal to me. I've read here that a number of people use them and I wanted to ask for a current recommendation in light of their recent product updates.

I just noticed at whatsbestforum a notice that Aurender has an updated line coming out and some of the info is now on their website. I imagine with CES this week there will be more specific information to follow.

It appears the X100 is being replaced by a N100 model and the S10 is discontinued and replaced by the N10. Preliminary prices as noted;

The N100 will be available at the same price as the current X100S(6TB) at approx. 3.500 USD.
The N10 will be slightly more expensive than the S10(2GB) at approx. 7.000 USD.

Given the various digital inputs on the Devialet, is there a particular Aurender that should sound best (by USB, spdif, AES?). I have a robust ethernet and wifi home network available as needed.

I use a Synology NAS for my music library files and intend to try TIDAL (or similar streaming service) once I get a new device in place, so I guess I'm actually looking for both a streamer and server appliance.

Ignoring cost, is there a compelling reason to pick one model over another for best sound quality using a Devialet? Given the N100 $3.5K USD versus N10 $7K USD cost multiple, would you anticipate the sound quality difference to be significant?

Thanks
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
Hi Kenreau

Aurender has W20 which is the flagship with the best implementation they could muster and different digital outputs and built in storage.

Next in line is the S10, it doesn't have the same sophisticated processing but has the same external design, digital outputs and storage.

The X100 (S or L) inherits many of the qualities of the W20, especially the excellent implementation of the USB audio output.

The new line N is almost like the X but without the internal storage and hence is solely for NAS streaming. As such it is not replacing the X but is simply a new line being offered by Aurender.

I use the X100L 8 TB with impeccable sound quality using USB to D400. Search for Aurender on the forum here and you will find many posts I have on the Aurender X100L

For your case, you have a solid network and a robust NAS on which you can install the server of choice so you maybe better off with N100 however I still prefer the reliable performance of the built in storage of the X100

Finally the limitation of both the X and the N is the single USB digital output which maybe limiting especially with Devialet where you have one USB input. Also it could be a more challenging problem with the introduction of the Dialog which will initially connect only to the D via USB.

Finally you may want to wait and see what will the Dialog offer as it may play very well with your robust network and of course with your Devialet.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Elsewhere on this forum there have been some very interesting comments regarding the 3D Lab Nano Transport. This looks like it has a very favourable cost to sound quality ratio. I also like the look of the Aurender range. However, I am happy to wait and see (hear) what the Dialog sounds like. If the Dialog is custom designed and built to match the Devialet USB input, it might just turn out to be best sound quality wise, at a very low price. Time will tell.
Although I'm not in the market for one I was confused by all the different Aurender models, new and existing. However I found the Aurender website very clarifying as to which/what models are for who. See: http://aurender.com/page/audiophile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks, guys, great information on all accounts. It appears Aurender is making frequent updates to their website information. I'll keep on the look out for more reports coming out of CES and on the Dialog software. Lots of new technology and rapid advancements taking place.

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
(06-Jan-2015, 08:43)amabrok Wrote: The new line N is almost like the X but without the internal storage and hence is solely for NAS streaming. As such it is not replacing the X but is simply a new line being offered by Aurender.

..snip 

For your case, you have a solid network and a robust NAS on which you can install the server of choice so you maybe better off with N100 however I still prefer the reliable performance of the built in storage of the X100

..snip

the N10 will have a full range of outputs according to Aurender website, and a 1Tb SSD drive

I noticed that the N series will also utilize linear PS instead of switched-mode. They always claimed it made no difference so that's an interesting change (as a X100 owner !)
Early days but have also read the N100 can also be ordered as an N100S with the S designating a 1Tb SSD similar to the N10. If your library is under that limit (or can be rotated in and out to suit) ths should be a very low noise and discrete piece of gear...looks highly desirable to me. Now if they can only solve the conflicts with the Berkeley Alpha USB...!
WDW
Is there a consensus on which digitial interface should sound the best into the Devialet?

I see the newer Aurenders are USB output only. Would there be a significant sound quality benefit to using an USB to SPDIF convertor (e.g. Berkeley convertor) to feed the Devialet? Or, just go for the S10/N10 models with Coax and AES outputs? I recall reading the new X100 has a high quality USB (from the W10?) port.

Thanks
Kenreau
(07-Jan-2015, 19:59)kenreau Wrote:  I recall reading the new X100 has a high quality USB (from the W10?) port.

Thanks
Kenreau

That is correct! (from the W20 though Smile )

and it sounds fabulous with Devialet
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I submitted the USB, SPDIF, AES port format question to Devialet and got a very prompt response I thought would be beneficial for the group

Thierry Massoubre (Devialet)
Jan 14 09:13
Dear Ken,
Thanks for your message. Basically, the 3 inputs are as qualitative (provided that the USB output of the Aurender is asynchronous). The selecting factor will be more linked to the distance between the different elements.
 A USB cable shouldn't be longer than 2 to 3m. If you intend to have a wider distance betwenn the Devialet and your server, you may consider using the AES/EBU input. Mind using a genuine 100 Ohm digital cable in this case.
I hope this helps you.
Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks
 Kenreau