Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Crossovers for my Speakers
Not really Devialet related, but currently having my speakers upgraded (Mike Lenehan ML3 Ref's upgrading to ML5 Ref's).

The crossovers are currently getting made up:
  • Tweeter Network - Jupiter Copper Caps (4 x 10µF and 2 x 1µF), 
  • Woofer Network - Jupiter VT Round Aluminium Caps (2 x 6.8µF)
  • Main Caps being bypassed with Duelund Silver Caps (0.01µF)
  • Resistors - PathAudio 10W
  • 10awg hand wound Air Core Inductors
The crossover board is getting a wee bit tight, especially with the main Caps (they're actually just slightly longer than a Coke can) Tongue

Completed

1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Only one word for these...Magnificent.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
Did you ever try the cross-over function of your 1000Pro?
(16-Jan-2018, 17:05)Music or sound Wrote: Did you ever try the cross-over function of your 1000Pro?

Not sure what you mean by "cross-over function". Only thing I do have is my sub dialed into the speakers (High Pass 3rd order filter, 80Hz cut-off).
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
@Celts88
The fact that you mentioned that the main caps are larger than coke cans brings the size of the crossovers into perspective. Huge!
(And a work of art IMHO)  Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Axel
  • US Standard Coke Can - 2.600″ X 4.800″ (66.0mm x 121.9mm)
  • Jupiter Copper Cap - 2.500″ X 4.938″ (63.5mm x 125.4mm)

Coke Can Slightly broader, Cap slightly longer

Australia (Perth)
@Celts88 I read some of the Lenehan ML5 thread on Stereonet this morning and am starting to get seriously interested in these speakers. Where is he situated? Something tells me he's on the Gold Coast, which is just a hop, skip and a jump for me. I'd like to have a listen to them. I might get to audition yours before he sends them to Perth Wink

Edit; Found it. 35-40 drive minutes max. When are your speakers ready for me to audition?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Pim

Mike's workshop is located 10/185 Currumburra Road, Ashmore so just up from the Gold Coast. I've never been over there, but have spoken to Mike on the phone plenty of times, and read lots of stuff about his speakers on SNA. He’s not a salesman, but a speaker builder who has pride in his work, and as such will put everything into his speakers (at a cost) to make them the best sounding he can (within the budget). The beauty with him being a small Speaker manufacturer is that he'll change to what the customer wants (within reason). He will go from the cheaper Caps all the way up to Exotic Caps (Duelund Cast).. You can upgrade the crossovers bit-by-bit from standard variation up to very expensive components (don't know if he's even made any ML5's that are built exactly the same). He'll just add up the cost of the dearer components and just adds a bit of ++ (he has to make a profit somewhere)

His standard ML5’s come with Jantzen Superior caps, with Duelund carbon resistors, but he’ll upgrade what others want (mostly based on his recommendations). A lot of people are gong for Duelund VSF’s, but I went for the Jupiter Copper as been told they have a bit more ’flavour’ to them over the VSF, and as Mike’s speakers tend to be very neutral/clean/precise (or whatever others want to call it, maybe resolved is a better word) I’ve went for the Jupiter Cu. The Woofer network wouldn’t give back the full value of using Jupiter Cu’s, therefore have went for the VT rounds in there.

Lots of people have been writing about the benefits of the Duelund Silver bypass Caps so I’ve included these in both the Tweeter & Woofer Networks. Realise most would say it’s not worth it in the Woofer network, but as my current ML3’s have to be shipped to the other side of Australia and back for the upgrade (I live in Perth, and of course Mike's in Queensland) I thought it worth including for the small(ish) cost to add.

The inductors are hand wound by Mike (and his sons, who also help in the business), and he prefers these (also helps with the cost). Some people are going with Jantzen Wax Foil inductors, but Mike suggested I stick with hsi hand wound one’s. I’m not much of a numbers guy when it comes to all the components, etc. but he said the 10awg produce 1.25mh DCR 0.09ohms (he may even have improved on this, I’m not sure).

I’m also changing the tweeters, currently 30mm Wavecore TW030WA14, over to SEAS Exotic T35’s  These were originally a suggestion to Mike by one of his customer's who liked the benefits of the Alnico magnet. After a few trials with them Mike began designing a new crossover to suit, and over the months tweaked them to where they are now (Mike has the SEAS Exotic as standard in the ML5's).

Mike's speakers are super rigid (he prides himself in making them inert). I only need one additional brace to be installed in my upgrade, but Mike installs metal plates, L-brackets, cast iron differential cross bracing rods, silicone filled copper tube braces, etc., to ensure the rigidity.

Cheers
John

PS - whatever you do don't read too much into Mike's webpage as it's ancient, and he hasn't updated it since Noah tried his luck in the Sydney to Hobart race (and lost Tongue )

Australia (Perth)