Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Devialet not sounding quiet right (newbie question)
Hi,

How long did it take before you were satisfied with the sound of your Devialet ?
Is it still necessary to 'burn in' a new box ? If the music doesn't sound OK, what would you change first ? We have a Devialet 200, Athom speakers (trial), dedicated Windows 2012 music server with MC19. Cabling is nothing special : what's in the box.

I'm an IT guy, setting his first steps in the High end audio world so please be gentle. The discussions on this forum are really fascinating (and confusing). Everything I learned about cabling, grounding, power supply, multitasking OS's etc. is questioned.

Thanks,

Joris
It seems that peoples experiences vary. I for one was totally happy with the sound out of the box, but I've heard stories of pretty long required burn in periods as well. Dunno why.

But Devialet is a pretty nice first step Smile
Mine took months (and I'm still not 100% certain it's right). The two demo ones, a 170 and 240, sounded fantastic. I'm personally convinced demo models of any hi-fi component are actually vastly superior to the one you end up buying. I've come across this with lots of gear!
Mine was fine straight out of the box. Having said that, I think it did improve over time, but we are talking very small margins here.

Anyway, you say "the music doesn't sound ok"? What exactly are your issues? If you can provide a little detail, I am sure that there are many on here that will be more than happy to help.
My first D-Premier was superb from the box, the second, bought to go dual mono, was a touch harsh from new so I got it replaced with a third, which sounded the same as the first (and the demo unit).
I had them updated to 800 and this sounds lovely from the beginning.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(24-Jul-2014, 22:14)f1eng Wrote: My first D-Premier was superb from the box, the second, bought to go dual mono, was a touch harsh from new so I got it replaced with a third, which sounded the same as the first (and the demo unit).
I had them updated to 800 and this sounds lovely from the beginning.
So that's five Devialet's so far then..... (counting upgrades)
(24-Jul-2014, 21:23)Confused Wrote: Mine was fine straight out of the box. Having said that, I think it did improve over time, but we are talking very small margins here.

Anyway, you say "the music doesn't sound ok"? What exactly are your issues? If you can provide a little detail, I am sure that there are many on here that will be more than happy to help.

The sound is a touch metallic. The files used to test are high quality lossles RIP's.
I'll let it play for a couple of days. In the worst case I'll do a test at the dealer.
Sounded great right out of the box. Maybe minimal better over some time. Warm up time is also pretty short, a few minutes.
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
Lot's of differences.
There was a thread about this already
http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet-run-in-time
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(24-Jul-2014, 23:16)Georgethesixth Wrote:
(24-Jul-2014, 21:23)Confused Wrote: Mine was fine straight out of the box. Having said that, I think it did improve over time, but we are talking very small margins here.

The sound is a touch metallic. The files used to test are high quality lossles RIP's.
I'll let it play for a couple of days. In the worst case I'll do a test at the dealer.

Welcome

Try changing polarity of the power cable (if you are in Europe) just plug to the wall the other way around.
What is the amp sitting on? If glass or similar hard surface, try something soft under it. The foam in the original package is a very good start. It looks horrible like that but will give you an idea if there is a problem.
Also, for the speaker and power cables, devialet shows any weakness heavily. Even if you were happy with your cables before, your previous gear might have been hiding weaknesses.

My first premier was good from start, the second one took ages to come to life. The 240 (I sold one premier and bougt one 240 new) and the upgraded one were both great out of the box.

They are both sitting on dedicated shelves of a Pagode Master Reference stand. And some serious cash went to proper cabling.

Cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey