Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of questions from a newcomer to Devialet.
Hi all,

From Australia, new here.

Been doing some reading through older posts and thought I would ask a couple of questions and see what you guys are thinking of the Geminis in their current state.

So I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a set of the Geminis seeing it looks like most of the big issues have been fixed with the latest firmware. The retailer has said they just received the updated units from Devialet so they should be updated already.

I won’t be using the ANC all that much, only when I travel. Never have liked ANC from most brands so it will be interesting to see how Devialet’s tech actually works.

I rarely have earphones in for longer than 4hrs at a time before taking a break. So I feel like the Battery Life with ANC won’t be too much of an issue for me.

Anyway, I digress…

I was wondering if anyone has used any Comply Foam ear tips - https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tgg-truegrip/ -

I have used Comply tips for all my IEMs over the years including my first foray into the TrueWireless space with my RHA TrueConnect. Would the Comply tips affect the EAM?

I have had RHA TrueConnects for a couple of years now and whilst relatively good, When they worked, they leave a lot to be desired in terms of features and stability of the connection.

I use an iPhone 12 Pro and would be interested to hear about people’s experiences using an iPhone with the Geminis.

Also In regards to charging the earbuds and case - do people use the wireless charging feature or plug the case in?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Hope to be a contributor very soon Smile

Cheers,
Tyriall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Tyriall,

Welcome to the Devialet world!

I was one of the earliest adopters, but had a terrible experience with my Gemini's in mid-December.  After 48 hours of marvelous sound through my iPhone 12, I did a software update, and that was the end of them.  Irrevocably bricked.  I really wanted to replace them but Devialet agreed instead to refund and took them back, the catch being I ultimately had to pay $145 shipping from Saudi to France and then they had to pay $90 of import duty. For defective ear buds!  I swore I would never buy another Devialet product.  And I love my Expert Pro's.

But that was then and this is now.  Based on the more recent feedback here on the stability of the software updates, I've purchased again and they will be here in a few days.

Comply's have, as you know, a firm, round plastic core, and like you I use them on everything I can.  The Gemini's (or at least my early model) had oval-shaped connectors and were not compatible with the round Comply ones.  The advice I've see here is to use Spinfit CP360's, which come in a broader range of sizes than with the Gemini's.

Cheers,
Rexie
Goldmund Studietto/SME Series V & Lifetime Roon-->Expert Pro 220-->Triangle Signature Alpha's
Expert Pro 140 --> Vienna Acoustics Schonberg's
(30-May-2021, 12:57)Rexie Wrote: Hi Tyriall,

Welcome to the Devialet world!

I was one of the earliest adopters, but had a terrible experience with my Gemini's in mid-December.  After 48 hours of marvelous sound through my iPhone 12, I did a software update, and that was the end of them.  Irrevocably bricked.  I really wanted to replace them but Devialet agreed instead to refund and took them back, the catch being I ultimately had to pay $145 shipping from Saudi to France and then they had to pay $90 of import duty. For defective ear buds!  I swore I would never buy another Devialet product.  And I love my Expert Pro's.

But that was then and this is now.  Based on the more recent feedback here on the stability of the software updates, I've purchased again and they will be here in a few days.

Comply's have, as you know, a firm, round plastic core, and like you I use them on everything I can.  The Gemini's (or at least my early model) had oval-shaped connectors and were not compatible with the round Comply ones.  The advice I've see here is to use Spinfit CP360's, which come in a broader range of sizes than with the Gemini's.

Cheers,
Rexie

I was going to get a pair when I was supposed to be in Dubai late last year, but covid had other plans. Kind of a silver lining that I didn't have the horror experience others have had. Fingers Crossed they do what they say they do and the 2nd time doesn't repeat the failures of the past.

I have come across a good price here in Aus so I'm kind of ready to pull the trigger.

From the production photo's the connector looks round though it would not surprise me that they are different in the real world. 
The Truegrip is supposed to fit the Gemini according to their "Find Your Fit" utility on the site, but I will look at the spinfits too, thanks. 
I have never liked the feel of the silicone tips in my ear and find they are extremely prone to slipping out during activity.
(30-May-2021, 13:51)Tyriall Wrote: From the production photo's the connector looks round though it would not surprise me that they are different in the real world. 
The Truegrip is supposed to fit the Gemini according to their "Find Your Fit" utility on the site, but I will look at the spinfits too, thanks. 
I have never liked the feel of the silicone tips in my ear and find they are extremely prone to slipping out during activity.

Right you are on the Comply site! That was not the case before, so let's hope it works out for those of us who prefer foam over silicon.
Goldmund Studietto/SME Series V & Lifetime Roon-->Expert Pro 220-->Triangle Signature Alpha's
Expert Pro 140 --> Vienna Acoustics Schonberg's
I was using https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tg-t...earphones/ tips with them and it was fine if that is what you are looking for.

I would consider Gemini only if sound quality is your first priority and you like sound signature of them. But in this category you also have Sennheiser MTW2 (I didn't picked them just because they don't have wireless charging), new earbuds form B&W IP7 that even allow you to connect to non Bluetooth enabled devices (case can be used as bridge between earbuds and other device), not to mention new Sony WF-1000-XM4 are just around the corner. Not sure if I would pick Gemini if I was in market for headphones now.
(31-May-2021, 10:08)igorstefus Wrote: I was using https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tg-t...earphones/ tips with them and it was fine if that is what you are looking for.

I would consider Gemini only if sound quality is your first priority and you like sound signature of them. But in this category you also have Sennheiser MTW2 (I didn't picked them just because they don't have wireless charging), new earbuds form B&W IP7 that even allow you to connect to non Bluetooth enabled devices (case can be used as bridge between earbuds and other device), not to mention new Sony WF-1000-XM4 are just around the corner. Not sure if I would pick Gemini if I was in market for headphones now.

Sound Quality is definitely a priority. I have never really liked B&W sound signature on the headphones I have used in the past. That and they are more pricey than the Gemini's are here in Aus.

If all the issues that made the Gemini's unusable have been rectified what makes it so you wouldn't purchase them if you were in the market now?
(31-May-2021, 12:13)Tyriall Wrote:
(31-May-2021, 10:08)igorstefus Wrote: I was using https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tg-t...earphones/ tips with them and it was fine if that is what you are looking for.

Sound Quality is definitely a priority. I have never really liked B&W sound signature on the headphones I have used in the past. That and they are more pricey than the Gemini's are here in Aus.

If all the issues that made the Gemini's unusable have been rectified what makes it so you wouldn't purchase them if you were in the market now?

After update my main problem is big case and bad autonomy. However what I am concerned about are software updates. How often will Devialet update software and will I have problem again. Definitely did not expect so much trouble with 300 eur earbuds. Sony and Jabra ironed out basics and they are updating earbuds often. In one of the updates Jabra added ANC to elite 75t. So they are miles ahead of Devialet regarding software which is one of the important things to me.

However I also want good quality sound ant this is where Jabra is lacking. On the other hand Sony is different story. Last iteration of headphones was good. Sound was not as good as Gemini or Sennheiser but was decent. New generation looks like it will improve it in every aspect. You are not Android user so it is not important to you but Sony may even add LDAC to new version. New earbuds are smaller,  have smaller case, and wireless charging. Will be better then Devialet in every aspect except in sound quality. Question is will difference be significant to overcome all shortcomings of Gemini's.
Well just pulled the trigger on a pair. I am hoping they work well out of the box and I don't regret the purchase. Should have them in a day or 2 hopefully.

The problem with tech, in general, is that there is always going to be something newer, shinier and/or better. So waiting for the next best thing is just going to end up being an endless cycle.

If they work as advertised and I can get what I need out of them I will be happy, if they don't I will return them. If something outstanding comes out that would make the Geminis totally pale in comparison I might sell them off and then get whatever is the latest and greatest at the time.

From everything I have read pre and post recall a couple of things seems to be constant - the sound quality is excellent and they are pretty comfortable. If the connection issues have truly been fixed that will be the icing on the cake as it were. And who knows maybe they will figure out what was causing the discharge when you could assign the Master and then release a firmware update that allows us to choose again.