Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Home Theater
Thumbs Up 
Hi Everyone,
I'm in the midst of doing a major renovation at my house and have a dilemma.  I own 5 phantoms ( 2 gold, 2 classic, 1 reactor 900) and love them.  My home theater comprises of hand made JBL (by me) speakers powered by crown k2 amps driven by an Anthem D2V. I have DBX equalizers attached to all of the channels as well as RANE active crossovers for L/R/C channels so I can bi-amp them.  While this system has served me well for over a decade, I think it maybe time to retire them.  So I'm thinking of replacing the system with 5 Phantoms (not sure which ones yet) and driving them with my Anthem D2V using direct optical mode and using analog to digital converters from the audio out elements of the D2V.  What do you guys think?  Would I be making a mistake going down this road?  Also any thoughts of what type of cable I should use for the input methods for the phantoms?  The D2V will be kept in the basement and the home theater will be in the family room on the first floor.  The contractor will run power and ethernet to the speaker locations.  Should I have him run another ethernet and use a balund to convert to optical?

Thanks in advance for the help
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(06-May-2019, 03:19)njaiswal Wrote: Hi Everyone,
I'm in the midst of doing a major renovation at my house and have a dilemma.  I own 5 phantoms ( 2 gold, 2 classic, 1 reactor 900) and love them.  My home theater comprises of hand made JBL (by me) speakers powered by crown k2 amps driven by an Anthem D2V. I have DBX equalizers attached to all of the channels as well as RANE active crossovers for L/R/C channels so I can bi-amp them.  While this system has served me well for over a decade, I think it maybe time to retire them.  So I'm thinking of replacing the system with 5 Phantoms (not sure which ones yet) and driving them with my Anthem D2V using direct optical mode and using analog to digital converters from the audio out elements of the D2V.  What do you guys think?  Would I be making a mistake going down this road?  Also any thoughts of what type of cable I should use for the input methods for the phantoms?  The D2V will be kept in the basement and the home theater will be in the family room on the first floor.  The contractor will run power and ethernet to the speaker locations.  Should I have him run another ethernet and use a balund to convert to optical?

Thanks in advance for the help

I found this.  It looks like it'll do the A/D conversion and send the audio signal over ethernet!  

https://www.gefen.com/product/digital-an...ADA-LAN-TX

Have any of you found this during your research.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
I got it working!  At least the L/C/R speakers.  I'm still working on the rears.  I put 3 of my gold phantoms in optical direct mode and used the following components to connect my receiver to them:

1.  Portta Toslink 1x3 Splitter to split the L/R signal from the ADC
2.  Portta Audio Converter Analog R/L RCA to Digital Coax/ Toslink Audio Converter x 2
3.  J-Tech Digital Optical & Coaxial Digital Audio Extender/Converter Over Single Cat5e/6 Cable (PoC)  x 2 to carry the L/R optical channels to the L/R Phantoms

Overall the WAF has improved dramatically.   No need to deal with Spark any longer.  Perfect sync with the rest of my sonos devices.  

Watching TV and Movies is so much better. 

Downsides
1.  I lose portability due the hardwired configuration...  I may end up keeping a dialog on the network and just reconfigure a pair of phantoms as I move them onto the patio for listening...
Pretty exciting! Report back once you have some rears too!

I’d be interested to know if Reactors could be rears, and how you might get on with a phantom centre.
(16-May-2019, 08:26)booshtukka Wrote: Pretty exciting! Report back once you have some rears too!

I’d be interested to know if Reactors could be rears, and how you might get on with a phantom centre.

I have a pair of reactor 900's that I'm thinking of snagging from another room, but I'm concerned that the Devialet app will randomly reset the volume and that the minimum latency is 60ms... not sure how that will work with the surround processor when it sets up the delays for the rears... Undecided
I have faith in you. Wink
(19-May-2019, 00:56)booshtukka Wrote: I have faith in you. Wink

The home theater is complete.  So I got a pair of reactor 900's and paired them up in stereo mode and ran a single optical connection from an ADC attached to the surround outputs of the Anthem.  I then attached an ethernet between each reactor to reduce issues in low latency mode.  I'm extremely impressed with the immersion I feel when watching movies.  The golds in the front are doing the majority of the heavy lifting while the reactors are doing a surprisingly good job at a decently high volume. The attribute that surprised me the most was the similarity of the mids/highs to the golds.  That made the transition between the fronts and rears really seamless.  All in all I'm really happy with how this turned out.  I did this in a temporary residence while the house is being renovated.  I'm going to build 2 of these systems in the new house and will post pics when they're done.
It seems like you could achieve this with a device that can decode a 5.1 signal and send that signal to five discrete mono optical outputs. Does something like this not exist?
(20-May-2019, 04:22)booshtukka Wrote: It seems like you could achieve this with a device that can decode a 5.1 signal and send that signal to five discrete mono optical outputs. Does something like this not exist?

Agreed.  If you can find it, then let me know.  In the house, I plan on having all of the electronics located in a closet in the basement.  I'll use a combination of baluns and extenders to delivery audio/video/IR control to all of the rooms.  Keeping everything digital would be wonderful.  The best solution would be to have the Phantoms be able to decode 5.1 directly, second best would be to find a device you're describing...
We heard Devialet is working on a new version of Dialogue. Maybe it will be part of the features.