Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Review in What Hi-Fi
Since my upgrade woes, I won't pass a comment on their review as I am still fuming. I haven't even been near them for a week.

In any case you can read the review here....

http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/silver-...e=20151113
Odd that they seem to favour the Naim Muso in some areas (Ad revenue plays a part I'm sure). I heard a Muso this time last year so I don't remember it that well, whilst I remember the Muso being very capable it wasn't in the same league as the Phantom.
Not a magazine that I take any notice of. Phantom kicks Muso's itty bitty woofers into touch. There is no comparison really, like chalk and cheese.
Shame they didn't do a pair, which most say are a lot more than twice as good Smile
Devialet probably prefer loaning single units... less chance of software bugs whilst being reviewed.
The Muso has more connectivity options and is a more polished in terms of execution. The Phantom still feels more in development. For example, the Muso can connect to a Nas, a greater selection of online streaming sources, and Internet radio. The big difference in the UK is the price where the Phantom has a relatively higher spread compared to other countries. If the premium for the Phantom was smaller, it would favour the Phantom.
(13-Nov-2015, 21:15)Jamington2004 Wrote: Shame they didn't do a pair, which most say are a lot more than twice as good Smile

(13-Nov-2015, 21:44)BowlOfPetunias Wrote: Devialet probably prefer loaning single units... less chance of software bugs whilst being reviewed.

I believe that you are right on target.  Very insightful.
Yes thanks for this insight on single units - makes sense. It's frustrating to me when reviewers have only single phantoms and compare them to other wireless speakers. It would be better to be at least in the active speaker category. Two are not just a little better than one it's like going from having one eye to two eyes. All of the sudden you have depth perception, an actual soundstage and a live band playing in your room. Despite networking woes, when it works I'm still stunned by them and can't believe what I'm hearing some of the time.

One tip I saw, that is impossible with one speaker, is to sit in a fairly equilateral triangle formation (3.5m sides with a good toe in). I did it for the first time today and was amazed at how much better they sounded than when they were closer together (2m apart). You could say the phantoms completely disappeared.