Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy speaker cable/binding post question
Hi fella's I'm about ready to get a 200, and I'm wondering about the binding posts. I have Audioquest Oak speaker cables which use these spades. Any issues fitting them

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well I did some digging at it looks like spades aren't gonna fit??

(09-Aug-2014, 18:29)ErikM Wrote: Hi fella's I'm about ready to get a 200, and I'm wondering about the binding posts. I have Audioquest Oak speaker cables which use these spades. Any issues fitting them
(09-Aug-2014, 21:34)ErikM Wrote: Well I did some digging at it looks like spades aren't gonna fit??

(09-Aug-2014, 18:29)ErikM Wrote: Hi fella's I'm about ready to get a 200, and I'm wondering about the binding posts. I have Audioquest Oak speaker cables which use these spades. Any issues fitting them

Hi ErikM, I find that spades aren't great for the Devialet. They will fit (only just!) but your Devialet won't sit nicely. My current cables use banana plugs but I've also tried out other speaker cables with spades; it's not ideal quite frankly.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Agree with Guillaume... Spades are not a good idea with Devialet. Before I had some MIT Spectral cables which I liked but sold them as they had spades... Not very convenient...
Looks like I'm going to have to get them re-terminated with bananas..this is a PITA since I use a REL sub which uses bananas also.. Guess I can use bare wire for the sub.. kind of a crappy setup..

Or maybe I can use banana adaptors..humm..

(09-Aug-2014, 22:29)darthsteph Wrote: Agree with Guillaume... Spades are not a good idea with Devialet. Before I had some MIT Spectral cables which I liked but sold them as they had spades... Not very convenient...
(09-Aug-2014, 23:48)ErikM Wrote: Looks like I'm going to have to get them re-terminated with bananas..this is a PITA since I use a REL sub which uses bananas also.. Guess I can use bare wire for the sub.. kind of a crappy setup..

(09-Aug-2014, 22:29)darthsteph Wrote: Agree with Guillaume... Spades are not a good idea with Devialet. Before I had some MIT Spectral cables which I liked but sold them as they had spades... Not very convenient...

Erik,

I think that someone on this forum had a solution to fit spades in a good way however I do not remember who, please browse forum. I do remember that it involves almost unscrewing the plastic tightening nut.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Some spades fit but others don't come close (e.g Transparent Audio). You may be able to take the plastic housing off around the binding posts but I don't think it's that easy. This is a major pain with the Devialet IMHO.
(10-Aug-2014, 00:12)Mikeeo Wrote:
(09-Aug-2014, 23:48)ErikM Wrote: Looks like I'm going to have to get them re-terminated with bananas..this is a PITA since I use a REL sub which uses bananas also.. Guess I can use bare wire for the sub.. kind of a crappy setup..

Erik,

I think that someone on this forum had a solution to fit spades in a good way however I do not remember who, please browse forum. I do remember that it involves almost unscrewing the plastic tightening nut.

/Mike

That would be me Smile

You can, with a little force, free the plastic housing, turn them 180 degrees and reinstall, so the large spade opening looks towards top. Then you can fit all spade connectors, but without the back cover since the cables protrude from top.

However, banana is the best solution for Devialet...

A note: DO NOT USE SPADE TO BANANA ADAPTERS as even the best ones steal from the music too much... My current setup has Absolare Bullets (go to www.absolare.com) on the amp side with very good results which can act as adapters, but this is not an adapter (and not cheap) so, although sounding glorious, it would not be wise to suggest them as a solution to your problem...

Cheers
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I've found some spades simply won't fit in the housing (e.g aformentioned Transparent Audio cables). The spades are just too big.
The price you pay for the nice styling is no bulky or angled connectors. I am surprised dealers didn't make this clear to the non-technically minded purchasers before selling to them.
TBH it seems pretty obvious by just glancing at the amp!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire