Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New improved Bluesound Node Streamer that ticks all boxes
Just saw that Bluesound will release a new streamer/DAC shortly, named the Bluesound Node. Yes, not called Node 3 or 3i, it will just be called the Node. interestingly this one will also feauture a HDMI ARC port, like to Powernode 2i of previous generation. As Bluesound has Toslink out, its a nice companion to the Devialet Phantom. Other checkbox es include: 32-bit/384khz DAC, MQA, Bluetooth 5.0 AptX and Bluetooth Headphone output, Toslink input and Output, RCA, Subwoofer Output, Roon Ready.. oddly missing seems UPNP/DLNA support, but i could be wrong.

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/
Stereo Phantom 600's matte black on legs + RPI3 with DAC/DSP-Hifiberry with Allo Nirvana PSU+ MacMini (Roon Core) with Ludic Heimdall Netfilter/PSU
I own a Node 2i that is connected via digital coaxial to my Expert 120.
I find the interface simple and effective and I love the fact I can browse the music on a network shared HDD without touching my laptop.

I was curious for this release and I think I might have upgraded only if they implemented a USB digital output (just to connect to my Expert in a more “modern” way).

Honestly, if used as streamer only all the new upgrades would probably make a minimal difference.
(11-May-2021, 23:04)docvale Wrote: I own a Node 2i that is connected via digital coaxial to my Expert 120.
I find the interface simple and effective and I love the fact I can browse the music on a network shared HDD without touching my laptop.

I was curious for this release and I think I might have upgraded only if they implemented a USB digital output (just to connect to my Expert in a more “modern” way).

Honestly, if used as streamer only all the new upgrades would probably make a minimal difference.

Great info. I am going to purchase two Phantoms. Do you know if my assumption is correct?

- Putting a Node within my network I can stream Tidal to my Phantoms via ethernet/wifi
- that way I am able to use the higher quality in relation to Spotify (at this time, I know Spotify Hifi is coming)
- I can connect my TV to the Node with HDMI eARC to play the sound via optical cable
- I do not have to purchase a license from Roon to use Tidal 

Right?
(20-Jul-2021, 19:29)fLexOdder Wrote:
(11-May-2021, 23:04)docvale Wrote: I own a Node 2i that is connected via digital coaxial to my Expert 120.

Great info. I am going to purchase two Phantoms. Do you know if my assumption is correct?

- Putting a Node within my network I can stream Tidal to my Phantoms via ethernet/wifi
- that way I am able to use the higher quality in relation to Spotify (at this time, I know Spotify Hifi is coming)
- I can connect my TV to the Node with HDMI eARC to play the sound via optical cable

Right?

You can also connect your TV by optical to one of the phantoms and Tidal via wifi or UPNP/DNLA.

Then you don’t need a node!
(11-May-2021, 23:04)docvale Wrote: Great info. I am going to purchase two Phantoms. Do you know if my assumption is correct?

Right?

You can also connect your TV by optical to one of the phantoms and Tidal via wifi or UPNP/DNLA.

The Phantoms lack a Tidal Connect option. I am unkown with UPNP and will have to take a look. If there is no need for extra hardware then we stick to the most minimalist set up. But only one condition: Tidal CD quality has to used for not loosing a layer of sound. Can I then use my Android device with Tidal app to stream via wifi/UPNP? Is there some documentation how to do that?
(21-Jul-2021, 16:16)fLexOdder Wrote:
(11-May-2021, 23:04)docvale Wrote: Great info. I am going to purchase two Phantoms. Do you know if my assumption is correct?

Right?

The Phantoms lack a Tidal Connect option. I am unkown with UPNP and will have to take a look. If there is no need for extra hardware then we stick to the most minimalist set up. But only one condition: Tidal CD quality has to used for not loosing a layer of sound. Can I then use my Android device with Tidal app to stream via wifi/UPNP? Is there some documentation how to do that?
Devialet.com
(11-May-2021, 23:04)docvale Wrote: I was curious for this release and I think I might have upgraded only if they implemented a USB digital output (just to connect to my Expert in a more “modern”.

Update is announced for end of the year:

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/...2058351895
Called the BlueSound service today. USB will not be supported this year.
(11-May-2021, 17:45)edgecrush3r Wrote: Just saw that Bluesound will release a new streamer/DAC shortly, named the Bluesound Node. Yes, not called Node 3 or 3i, it will just be called the Node. interestingly this one will also feauture a HDMI ARC port, like to Powernode 2i of previous generation. As Bluesound has Toslink out, its a nice companion to the Devialet Phantom. Other checkbox es include: 32-bit/384khz DAC, MQA, Bluetooth 5.0 AptX and Bluetooth Headphone output, Toslink input and Output, RCA, Subwoofer Output, Roon Ready.. oddly missing seems UPNP/DLNA support, but i could be wrong.

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/
The BlueSound Node is a versatile, entry level, streamer but I am not sure it is a good fit for the Phantom.  The best connection to the Phantom is via Toslink.  But using Toslink will bypass many of the features e.g. DAC, MQA etc.  If sound quality is the priority, there are better (& more costly) streamers from Lumin, Auralic, Innous, Aurender etc. which will be a better match for the Phantoms.

BluOS does not support UPnP and not likely to do so.  I vaguely recall BlueSound mentioning some technical incompatibility?