Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New loudspeakers & room digital correction service
@SwissBear - Sounds like an interesting service.

Thanks for sharing. Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Swissbear - any chance you could persuade Thierry to drop by and give a bit more insight into what he's doing? The packages/processes - whether it's off the shelf software, or modifications to, or custom written, the types of filters employed, his background etc etc.

I'm not sure how this sits with forum rules as he's offering a paid service, but I'd be really interested to get a bit more insight.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(21-Aug-2017, 12:37)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Swissbear - any chance you could persuade Thierry to drop by and give a bit more insight into what he's doing? The packages/processes - whether it's off the shelf software, or modifications to, or custom written, the types of filters employed, his background etc etc.

I'm not sure how this sits with forum rules as he's offering a paid service, but I'd be really interested to get a bit more insight.

1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Yes, me too.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Just taking a look at this and I have one observation.

The idea is that the customer does 'the easy bit', then this service provides the difficult stuff, done with great expertise.  OK, this is fine.

Regarding the 'easy bit' of taking the measurements,  the website states: 'Software : we do recommend using REW as you can export all measurements in one file (.mdat) You can find links for measurements guidelines on the REW homepage.'

Regarding this, I would say that many potential customers for this service would look at the guidelines on the REW homepage and give up!  The guidelines are not that clear.  Even taking myself as an example, I know I can go into REW and take measurements but I am a very long way from being an REW expert, so I would be wondering about settings, the exact volume level I used, and many other things.

So what I would say is that there needs to be very clear instructions for the taking of the measurements, step by step, each setting defined (preferably with screen shots.  For me the website is a little too vague and relies too much on REW's documentation, which is not the clearest and simplest set of instructions ever conceived.  If I was paying for this service I would want to be 100% clear that I had done my measurements the right way, with all the right settings, volume levels and whatever else.  I would NOT be 100% sure of this be reading and interpreting REW's website.

Or to put it another way.  The way the website is written at the moment would put some potential customers off trying this service, a bit more clarity could easily equal more business I think.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I asked about this from Thierry and he suggested using this guide:
https://www.minidsp.com/applications/aco...p-with-rew

He also gave following instructions to me:

"From a practical point of view I suggest to follow this procedure:
- set the microphone at the sweet spot position
- set the level using the left loudpseaker
- perform the sweep measurement for this position & left loudspeaker and rename it L1
- perform measurement for this position but right loudspeaker this time, rename it R1
- move microphone to the next position & perform the measurements for right then left loudspeaker, name it R2 & L2
- repeat the procedure for the others different positions (I recommend sweet spot + 4 others as a minimum)
- save the bundle of measurements as a .mdat file"

I hope this helps.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(21-Aug-2017, 13:04)Confused Wrote: Just taking a look at this and I have one observation.

The idea is that the customer does 'the easy bit', then this service provides the difficult stuff, done with great expertise.  OK, this is fine.

Regarding the 'easy bit' of taking the measurements,  the website states: 'Software : we do recommend using REW as you can export all measurements in one file (.mdat) You can find links for measurements guidelines on the REW homepage.'

Regarding this, I would say that many potential customers for this service would look at the guidelines on the REW homepage and give up!  The guidelines are not that clear.  Even taking myself as an example, I know I can go into REW and take measurements but I am a very long way from being an REW expert, so I would be wondering about settings, the exact volume level I used, and many other things.

So what I would say is that there needs to be very clear instructions for the taking of the measurements, step by step, each setting defined (preferably with screen shots.  For me the website is a little too vague and relies too much on REW's documentation, which is not the clearest and simplest set of instructions ever conceived.  If I was paying for this service I would want to be 100% clear that I had done my measurements the right way, with all the right settings, volume levels and whatever else.  I would NOT be 100% sure of this be reading and interpreting REW's website.

Or to put it another way.  The way the website is written at the moment would put some potential customers off trying this service, a bit more clarity could easily equal more business I think.

Confused

That's my biggest worry. Not that Thierry's software won't give good results, but that I'll take inferior measurement readings via REW that will affect the end result. I've never used REW or taken measurements using any software before, so I'm worried that I'll do the measurements wrong - or not so much wrong, but not as accurate as they can be.

Thierry's reply to a previous question from myself:

"Hello John

It is pretty easy to make good enough measurements and it is also easy to check them. Before building a correction I always make a quality check.
Regarding your specific questions
1. It is REW that will generate the test signal for impulse response acquisition  (a sweep signal actually)
2. For a 2.1 system you have to measure left channel + sub and then right channel + sub for each location"
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(21-Aug-2017, 13:12)Celts88 Wrote: That's my biggest worry. Not that Thierry's software won't give good results, but that I'll take inferior measurement readings via REW that will affect the end result. I've never used REW or taken measurements using any software before, so I'm worried that I'll do the measurements wrong - or not so much wrong, but not as accurate as they can be.

Don't worry. Please check my earlier post. I think the measurements were easy to take with these instructions.
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...5#pid65395
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(21-Aug-2017, 12:37)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Swissbear - any chance you could persuade Thierry to drop by and give a bit more insight into what he's doing? The packages/processes - whether it's off the shelf software, or modifications to, or custom written, the types of filters employed, his background etc etc.

Hi Hifi_swlon,

I have forwarded your request to Thierry. Let's see how he is reacting.

To give you a foretaste, I would say that Thierry is a talented young man, very found of music and very innovative. He has a background in science and attended one of the most famous scientific universities in France. He has been confronted with the problematic of mastering a pair of difficult loudspeakers and tried to innovate to do this.

He has developed is own technology, using a technical framework (kind of MathLab) and getting inspiration in the technical works published by famous researchers (see the academic literature mentioned in reference on his website).

The filters are not produced by him, but by the editors of the software which are applying the correction impulses. You can choose to use JRiver, Roon or HQPlayer. I tried all three of them and they are all working well.

Hope this helps as a starter Smile
(21-Aug-2017, 13:33)petrik Wrote:
(21-Aug-2017, 13:12)Celts88 Wrote: That's my biggest worry. Not that Thierry's software won't give good results, but that I'll take inferior measurement readings via REW that will affect the end result. I've never used REW or taken measurements using any software before, so I'm worried that I'll do the measurements wrong - or not so much wrong, but not as accurate as they can be.

Don't worry. Please check my earlier post. I think the measurements were easy to take with these instructions.
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...5#pid65395

If anyone is facing a difficulty making his/her first measurements with REW, please forward me a link to the measurement files and I will be happy to help if I can.

Its relatively easy to make reasonable measurements. It's not harder than to make the measurements for Dirac or any other application IMHO.