Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New potential owner streaming question
I am considering purchasing a used D120 or D200 for a small system in my PHX condo. I am currently using a Cambridge EVO150, which is a pretty good all-in-1 but a bit boring to listen to IMO. It works well, looks nice, but just doesn't engage me into the music, and I've always loved the design of Devialet so looking to upgrade. I also have an Auralic streamer at home and with both the Cambridge and Auralic I can use their native app, Roon, Airplay, Tidal Connect, and even Bluetooth. For the D120/D200, do you have to use the Devialet App or can I stream direct from an Apple device using Airplay without needing an extra device? The main reason is my wife hates using music apps and she will be using this system. She's used to using Airplay and Bluetooth and if I tell her she needs to download an app to listen to music she's going to tell me to get the EVO150 back in. Thanks for the clarification.
(02-Mar-2023, 16:11)abd1 Wrote: I am considering purchasing a used D120 or D200 for a small system in my PHX condo. I am currently using a Cambridge EVO150, which is a pretty good all-in-1 but a bit boring to listen to IMO. It works well, looks nice, but just doesn't engage me into the music, and I've always loved the design of Devialet so looking to upgrade. I also have an Auralic streamer at home and with both the Cambridge and Auralic I can use their native app, Roon, Airplay, Tidal Connect, and even Bluetooth. For the D120/D200, do you have to use the Devialet App or can I stream direct from an Apple device using Airplay without needing an extra device? The main reason is my wife hates using music apps and she will be using this system. She's used to using Airplay and Bluetooth and if I tell her she needs to download an app to listen to music she's going to tell me to get the EVO150 back in. Thanks for the clarification.

The Devialet app is simply a version of the remote control - it offers only source switching; power on/off; volume control with level display. You need another app to do anything on the streaming front.
If you get a model with the CI board (which is the case for new models) you can use it directly as an airplay speaker and therefore would not need any additional application beyond the one you are using to listen to your music on the iPhone.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I use my D1000 with Airplay. At the moment I use Amazon Prime for streaming but if you believe Qobuz or Tidal gives you better quality then you can also use Roon. Roon needs to have a server which could be a stand alone Rock or on a regular PC. I have stopped using Roon because it does not support Amazon.

The merits of Amazon versus Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal or Apple Music is a personal choice but your Devialet can handle it all. Of course I can play my music on either the D1000 or my Dione directly from my iPhone with a swipe of my finger. Roon would give you better curation of your music and more flexible control over multiple zones and hardware.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.