Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Air help, please.
Hello
I have sifted through the threads and I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere and I cannot find them. Would love some help on some simple questions related to streaming through Air on my new Devialet 200 : )

My understanding is that unlike other DACs which tend to prefer USB connection...the Devialet sounds best when using AIR over the wireless router. My first question is whether using the Ethernet connection is like using the wireless connection, but with better consistency in streaming vs over the air. Does that method sound as good? Do you lose functionality of being able to stream from other devices?

Also, a totally un-related question. When connecting via a wired connection a solid state hard drive sounds better because there are no moving parts and less noise from the device. However, if I'm using the wireless connection does it matter whether I'm using a spinning hard drive vs. solid state from an audio perspective?

Would appreciate any advice or if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Josh
(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: Hello

Hello - welcome to the forum!

(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: I have sifted through the threads and I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere and I cannot find them.  Would love some help on some simple questions related to streaming through Air on my new Devialet 200 : )

You'll probably get different answers to these questions depending on who you ask - the answers are a bit subjective.  Anyway, to get the ball rolling...

(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: My understanding is that unlike other DACs which tend to prefer USB connection...the Devialet sounds best when using AIR over the wireless router.

The jury's still out on that one.  There's a poll here: http://devialetchat.com/polls.php?action...ults&pid=6, you might have already seen the results.

(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: My first question is whether using the Ethernet connection is like using the wireless connection, but with better consistency in streaming vs over the air.  Does that method sound as good?  Do you lose functionality of being able to stream from other devices?

Yes, using AIR via wired Ethernet is the same as wireless but it's certainly more consistent and easier to get working reliably (depending on your network set-up, wi-fi environment, etc.).

I haven't heard any difference in sound quality between wired and wireless AIR.

Not sure what you're getting at in your last question: you can switch between AIR and other sources (e.g. USB, phono, ...) very easily in any case.

(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: Also, a totally un-related question.  When connecting via a wired connection a solid state hard drive sounds better because there are no moving parts and less noise from the device.  However, if I'm using the wireless connection does it matter whether I'm using a spinning hard drive vs. solid state from an audio perspective?

Personally I don't necessarily agree with the premise that there's a difference in sound quality depending on what type of storage you're streaming from, whether on a wired or wireless network.  I'm sure other people on the forum will be able/willing to comment on this, though.

Just my 2p-worth!

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Wink 
(22-May-2015, 20:02)thumb5 Wrote:
(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: Hello

Hello - welcome to the forum!

(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: I have sifted through the threads and I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere and I cannot find them.  Would love some help on some simple questions related to streaming through Air on my new Devialet 200 : )

You'll probably get different answers to these questions depending on who you ask - the answers are a bit subjective.  Anyway, to get the ball rolling...

(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: My understanding is that unlike other DACs which tend to prefer USB connection...the Devialet sounds best when using AIR over the wireless router.

The jury's still out on that one.  There's a poll here: http://devialetchat.com/polls.php?action...ults&pid=6, you might have already seen the results.

(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: My first question is whether using the Ethernet connection is like using the wireless connection, but with better consistency in streaming vs over the air.  Does that method sound as good?  Do you lose functionality of being able to stream from other devices?

Yes, using AIR via wired Ethernet is the same as wireless but it's certainly more consistent and easier to get working reliably (depending on your network set-up, wi-fi environment, etc.).

I haven't heard any difference in sound quality between wired and wireless AIR.

Not sure what you're getting at in your last question: you can switch between AIR and other sources (e.g. USB, phono, ...) very easily in any case.

(22-May-2015, 19:48)jogo77 Wrote: Also, a totally un-related question.  When connecting via a wired connection a solid state hard drive sounds better because there are no moving parts and less noise from the device.  However, if I'm using the wireless connection does it matter whether I'm using a spinning hard drive vs. solid state from an audio perspective?

Personally I don't necessarily agree with the premise that there's a difference in sound quality depending on what type of storage you're streaming from, whether on a wired or wireless network.  I'm sure other people on the forum will be able/willing to comment on this, though.

Just my 2p-worth!

Ian
Ian...thank you so much for your response...will give me something to start with.  I see your a fellow Sonus Faber owner...you have my dream speaker, but I was too young when they were in production.  I believe I will be making a play for the SF Accordo in the next couple of years.  I'll tell my wife I'm finished upgrading after that....but we all know how it goes  Big Grin
Josh - I've had the Guarneris for quite a while and am (still) very pleased with them. The Accordos do look very tempting, I agree...have you heard a pair?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Most people seem to assume SSDs would sound better because of no moving parts etc. but I have heard arguments that they can be detrimental in some ways too. For instance the mechanisms for reducing SSD degradation (TRIM for instance I think) could be detrimental. I know the Melco N1Z has had a lot of thought and testing put into this, hence why the SSDs in it are not simply off the shelf. I'm not fully up on the technical details but it is certainly an alternative way of looking at what might on the face of it seem an obvious choice using SSDs.
(22-May-2015, 20:35)thumb5 Wrote: Josh - I've had the Guarneris for quite a while and am (still) very pleased with them.  The Accordos do look very tempting, I agree...have you heard a pair?

Heading to California to hear a pair soon and will let you know.  Never heard a Franco Serblin product I haven't appreciated.