Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Newbie to Devialet
(26-Aug-2021, 08:56)Wyvrn Wrote: hey man

honestly right, if you wanna go the audiophile route there are a lot of options out there, BUT!

I myself came from a super hifi background and eventually decided that i dont wanna have a 7-8 box setup with tons of wires behind,

One pair of Phantom II 98 dB does more than some of my traditional hifi

of course if you talk about the fine details, midrange, separation the whole audiophile blah blah yes there are better ones for much more money, but for what they do in that form factor, im pretty happy with my 98dB Stereo

I have floor standing speakers (10 times the size of the phantom II) that nowhere near hit as low as the Phantom II's - these things are a marvel in engineering i must say!

Treat the Phantom's as audiophile components with proper placement, isolation, file format playback ,  and youd be surprised at what these little guys can achieve

Hi Wyvrn,

Thank you for your advise on the 98dB’s. I nearly went to get myself a used McIntosh MA6900 as there was one in good condition and I do love the blue meters but as you mentioned, they are bulky setup’s and the super thick cables and interconnects. The Phantoms should be treated as an audiophile all-in-one system and I have heard the bass down Low and I do love them. The nice thing is they work as endpoints for Roon, Audirvana and Tidal without needing a streamer.

It’s good to hear reassuring experiences on these little wonders.

Thank you for your post.
Newbie of 98dB pair and findings:

1) Phantom is a traditional speaker in the sense that it has to be used in pair rather than a stand alone all-in-one bluetooth speaker for desktop computer

2) Phantom sounds bad within 1-2m range so it is not quite enjoyable to be used as a desktop computer speaker

3) If you have been lured into buying one as an all-in-one bluetooth speaker in the beginning owing to wow design factor and the super bass, you will find out there is something wrong very soon, the sound is quite dull and mono (any mono sound has to be)

4) I bought a B&O Beosound 2 almost together and 1 on 1 the beosound is more enjoyable owing to its disperse and stereo sound

5) Once you've paired up with a second phantom with proper spacing and toe-in, the pair will then pay you back with its superior performance, most commentaries and critics are obviously not fair using one phantom to test mono sound with other stereo all-in-one piece such as mu-so 2, beosound series etc.