Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edge of the Art - Whats Best: CDP, Server or Streaming
(02-Jun-2015, 02:38)MusicFirst Wrote: So I'm Curious.  As someone who is still wed to the SP/DIF of my Esoteric UX-1.
Does the best digital reproduction lie in state of the art disc player-DACs; Servers; or Streaming?

Kerry

I would say that in the past decent CD players had the edge despite all the marketing hyperbole to the contrary from Linn (among others). Possibly the very best CD players still wear the SQ crown.

However music servers and streamers have been catching up fast lately. In my opinion this has happened because we have begun to pay more attention to the impact of the LAN and computers on sound quality, with the advent of one box solutions such as the Aurender effectively combining storage and streamer functionality and removing the need to stream over a network. Melco appear to have taken the concept a step further by addressing the way that files are saved and read on a hard drive and optimising everything around digital storage.

Lots of new products coming out so it's an exciting time for digital reproduction.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(02-Jun-2015, 17:01)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(02-Jun-2015, 02:38)MusicFirst Wrote: So I'm Curious.  As someone who is still wed to the SP/DIF of my Esoteric UX-1.
Does the best digital reproduction lie in state of the art disc player-DACs; Servers; or Streaming?

Kerry

I would say that in the past decent CD players had the edge despite all the marketing hyperbole to the contrary from Linn (among others). Possibly the very best CD players still wear the SQ crown.

However music servers and streamers have been catching up fast lately. In my opinion this has happened because we have begun to pay more attention to the impact of the LAN and computers on sound quality, with the advent of one box solutions such as the Aurender effectively combining storage and streamer functionality and removing the need to stream over a network. Melco appear to have taken the concept a step further by addressing the way that files are saved and read on a hard drive and optimising everything around digital storage.

Lots of new products coming out so it's an exciting time for digital reproduction.

Guillaume

G

Do you think in your experience, that the new Melco N1Z holds the crown as the best source you have heard?

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
(03-Jun-2015, 15:07)MusicFirst Wrote:
(02-Jun-2015, 17:01)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Kerry

Guillaume

G

Do you think in your experience, that the new Melco N1Z holds the crown as the best source you have heard?

Kerry

I think so. There is a LOT of stuff I haven't heard though!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

For many N1Z is cost prohibitive besides no matter how optimised, N1Z storage space is just too small considering music file library sizes these days. I think Melco N1A with dual SMP supplies would be grand, but such a unit could take sales away from the N1Z? Talking to friend in UK, several of his Melco using pals are using there Melco's with just router and integrated for simplicities sake. Makes me feel I'm in good company for I'm doing same.
(03-Jun-2015, 17:20)Bob Ryan Wrote: Do you think in your experience, that the new Melco N1Z holds the crown as the best source you have heard?

For many N1Z is cost prohibitive besides no matter how optimised, N1Z storage space is just too small considering music file library sizes these days. I think Melco N1A with dual SMP supplies would be grand, but such a unit could take sales away from the N1Z? Talking to friend in UK, several of his Melco using pals are using there Melco's with just router and integrated for simplicities sake. Makes me feel I'm in good company for I'm doing same.

Could I ask a couple of questions about how you use your Melco: how do you connect it to your Devialet - direct USB?; which control app do you use?; and you ever tried streaming a lossless online music service like TIDAL or Qobuz through it? Thanks.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Could I ask a couple of questions about how you use your Melco: how do you connect it to your Devialet - direct USB?; which control app do you use?; and you ever tried streaming a lossless online music service like TIDAL or Qobuz through it?

Direct USB. Lumin app for control. I tried Kinsky and Lightning DS but they were sub par to Lumin app, although there are several bad glitches with the Lumin app + Melco. I owned a Lumin Network Player so very aware of how beautifully Lumin app works with their Lumin Network Players. I've been in email exchange with Alan at Melco about the Melco Power app, things I'd like to see, etc. I have not tried streaming services thus far.
Thanks Bob, that's helpful. I like the idea of Melco but wish they would add more functionality - specifically support for lossless streaming services (and Internet radio would be nice)
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)