Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next-generation Devialet
Ok I've been thinking a lot about this lately...

The current range of Devialet products (120, 200 and 250) aren't that much different from the original model (D-Premier), in fact some on here who have upgraded even question whether there is that much of a difference SQ-wise between old and new generations.

From a hardware perspective essentially the ADH core and DAC remains the same since 2010. The main changes have been to the SMPS and connectivity options. And of course we are seeing greater use being made of the DSP section with SAM, and also improved thermal management leading to the power increases. No doubt there is more to come software-wise with firmware updates and more options through the configurator.

But it's the hardware that I'm really wondering about. What will the next-generation Devialet look like?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(06-Oct-2014, 14:32)GuillaumeB Wrote: What will the next-generation Devialet look like?

Guillaume

Shiny, probablyRolleyes
I share your hardware concerns.

DSP Processors, ADCs and DACs are improving all the time.

Can the existing platform accomodation upgrades in these devises?

I think the next-generation Devialet needs to be in a larger chassis to improve thermal management and have
plug-in modules for upgrades.
I doubt there will be a next generation for quite some time. From a technical viewpoint there is little to improve. The ROC equation is probably questionable. Their current proposition remains unique and probably still has much mileage.

I think Devialet's direction will be to exploit ADH (which they have stated before) and maybe SAM. The big money must be in getting the ADH core into many applications outside the small high-end hifi market. That is how the original Devialet partners will become rich guys!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(06-Oct-2014, 18:28)IanG-UK Wrote: I doubt there will be a next generation for quite some time. From a technical viewpoint there is little to improve. The ROC equation is probably questionable. Their current proposition remains unique and probably still has much mileage.

I think Devialet's direction will be to exploit ADH (which they have stated before) and maybe SAM. The big money must be in getting the ADH core into many applications outside the small high-end hifi market. That is how the original Devialet partners will become rich guys!

I agree. Devialet have already stated that they hope to license the ADH technology to other manufacturers.

As for the existing product range, I can see lots of incremental changes to the software platform, but I find it hard to see what a new hardware product would bring. But maybe they'll surprise us.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(06-Oct-2014, 18:28)IanG-UK Wrote: From a technical viewpoint there is little to improve.

Instead of using off-the-shelf A/D & D/A chipsets, Devialet could have used FPGAs (field-programmable gate array) for these functions which allows for firmware upgrades, like the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

The PCM1792 is an 11 year old design.
Do the Devialet device not have FPGAs? I understood there were some. Linn have also used these in their DSes since their inception.
First I would quote Niels Bhor (sometimes attributed to Mark Twain) " Predictions are difficult especially those involving the future." (Or something like that.) In other words, we may all ultimately be proved to be very wrong.

For me, I would agree with those who speculate that improvements to the DAC and ADH implementation would be most likely. After all, these technologies rely on raw processing power, which continues to double every eighteen months, price for price. So something designed now could utilise four times the power (or maybe more) with respect to the D-Premier vintage. Such potential benefits do not apply to the class A or D amplifier sections though.

An upgrade to the DAC or ADH could be of equivalent size to the existing, so another upgrade program is possible.

As a last thought, @Kunter appears to be getting good results from his CuBox "front end", so maybe the next Devialet could be a full streamer, just add music on a hard drive and iPad to controll. Why not? It looks like the extra hardware would cost less that $200. (Plus massive licensing fee to @Kunter?)

So that's my contribution, but remember the words of Mr Bohr.....
(06-Oct-2014, 19:51)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Do the Devialet device not have FPGAs? I understood there were some. Linn have also used these in their DSes since their inception.

Yes, I read that they use FPGAs but not for the DAC (PCM1792) or ADC (PCM4220, the 120 has a PCM4202)

I did view the apparent inability to upgrade the DAC as a downside when I bought my Devialet as there was a lot of noise about the FPGA based Chord Hugo DAC at the time but the excellence of the sound won me over.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I'd make a simple point. If a brand new highly superior model came out any time soon, with no upgrade option, I'd be a little grumpy........