Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next step streaming
Hi guys, this question has probably asked before but wanted to focus on my situation. Currtenty own this set:
- Devialet 200
- Roon server (NUC with Roon Rock)
- Linn LP12
- Wilson Benesch Vertex

For a longer period i want to make the next step with streaming. Love the Roon connection with the Devialet, but for me the level of streaming is far behind the quality i get from playing with the LP12. As i see, there are a few options:
- Upgrade the devialet 200 to a 220
- Adding a seperate streamer to the devialet 200 (for example a Naim ND5 XS 2)
- Keeping thing s te same and be happy

I'm not really attracted to upgrading the devialet. Deavialet is sloppy with upgrades and i'm not sure if it is the right step for the money. I'm really curious of adding a seperate streamer. I once had an Auralic Aries G1 for a test but really didn't like it. Is adding a streamer (like a naim ND5 XS 2) to a devialet too much? Or could this work really well?

I know i have to test this in my own setting, but really like to chat about this first and use your experience.

Thanks in advance.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
Interesting question.  My first thought is to ask what it is you prefer about the sound of the LP12 compared to streaming? 

From a technical point of view it's likely that the sound from the LP12 is less accurate than the digital streaming set-up, and perhaps you prefer the less accurate sound because of the inaccuracies.  In any case, the difference between streamers would probably be much smaller than the difference between the LP12 and any of the digital sources, so you might end up not achieving your goal by changing the digital side of things.

As to the upgrade from a 200 to a 220, that's (of course) going to affect what you hear from both the digital and analogue sources.  You've probably already looked at the other threads on the forum that discuss the sound quality changes people have experienced when making this upgrade.  There was a school of thought when the Pro models were introduced that they had a slightly more revealing treble which could be less forgiving of any shortcomings elsewhere in the system.  That sounds initially like a disadvantage but it might just reflect the improved performance of the amplifier, which gives you the potential to achieve better sound quality.

Adding an external streamer to change the sound quality compared to Roon from the NUC is going to be a gamble if you can't listen to the combination, and as I mentioned above I suspect might not give you a sound that's close to the LP12 you prefer.  On the other hand, if there are other things about the Roon/NUC combination that you aren't happy with -- such as form factor, looks, usability, etc. -- then maybe replacing it with a different streamer would give you more pleasure when you use your system.

For what it's worth, my advice would be that unless you can try out a new streamer in your system, option three might be the best approach.  Just my 2p-worth, of course.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(07-Jun-2020, 10:46)thumb5 Wrote: Interesting question.  My first thought is to ask what it is you prefer about the sound of the LP12 compared to streaming? 

From a technical point of view it's likely that the sound from the LP12 is less accurate than the digital streaming set-up, and perhaps you prefer the less accurate sound because of the inaccuracies.  In any case, the difference between streamers would probably be much smaller than the difference between the LP12 and any of the digital sources, so you might end up not achieving your goal by changing the digital side of things.

As to the upgrade from a 200 to a 220, that's (of course) going to affect what you hear from both the digital and analogue sources.  You've probably already looked at the other threads on the forum that discuss the sound quality changes people have experienced when making this upgrade.  There was a school of thought when the Pro models were introduced that they had a slightly more revealing treble which could be less forgiving of any shortcomings elsewhere in the system.  That sounds initially like a disadvantage but it might just reflect the improved performance of the amplifier, which gives you the potential to achieve better sound quality.

Adding an external streamer to change the sound quality compared to Roon from the NUC is going to be a gamble if you can't listen to the combination, and as I mentioned above I suspect might not give you a sound that's close to the LP12 you prefer.  On the other hand, if there are other things about the Roon/NUC combination that you aren't happy with -- such as form factor, looks, usability, etc. -- then maybe replacing it with a different streamer would give you more pleasure when you use your system.

For what it's worth, my advice would be that unless you can try out a new streamer in your system, option three might be the best approach.  Just my 2p-worth, of course.

Thanks for your response! The LP12 has a wider and deeper soundstage, way more air between instruments and a more “live feeling”. These are exactly the things i’m looking for to het more in my streaming setup.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
@KraaijCheck - can I ask how you are using your Roon serve NUC at the moment? That is, does it feed the Devialet via USB or are you using AIR or the Roon integrated AIR?

What ever the answer is to the above, have you ever tried this versus the alternative route and how find the differences, if any? (Which might be (Roon) AIR or USB, depending on the first answer)

I know that when I was running an Expert I achieved very good results using the Mutec MC3+USB, in my case fed by a Sonore microRendu. That said, I tried many things and personally had a preference for devices feeding the Deviaet via the AES/ EBU input. I then note that you did not like the Auralic Aries G1, which does have AES/EBU output, but maybe you tried this via USB? If you did try the Auralic Aries G1 via AES/EBU, this does suggest that your preferences might be slightly different. (although I have never actually heard the Auralic)

Just based on my own experience, I find myself tempted to say you should try a Mutec MC3+USB, which you could feed from your existing NUC, and would provide AES/EBU for the Devialet. It is hard to say if this would suit your own ears though, and I am guessing the Mutec would be a very hard thing for you to get for demo. Although companies like Thomann offer Mutec products a 30 day money back guarantee. Just a thought, and there is much written on the forum regarding the Mutec, see link below for some additional reading.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mutec-MC-3-USB
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
When I had my Expert 200, the sound of streaming via Roon AIR using ethernet was definitely better than via USB (at least to my ears) - particularly if you have your NUC directly connected to your 200 USB input.

But, I also have a very nice analog setup and the sound of a top-notch turntable/cartridge setup playing clean vinyl, while different from digital streaming, can be wonderfully immersive. I doubt a different streamer would make that much of a difference.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
My NUC and Devialet are both connected to the Silent Angel Bonn N8. From there i stream using Roon protocol.

Used USB in the past when i played directly from a mac to the devialet. Think the inputs can make a difference but not that big a difference.

I think the devialet as an amp with for example SAM is still great. But for dedicated streaming i’m curious what are the better options? I read extremely good reviews about the Naim i mentioned earlier, but also the dCS network bridge. But the dCS is a fair amount of money more expensive. For this amount of money it should be a big step in the right direction. And i think for me that is a more “analogue sound” from streaming (sorry using that reference )

(07-Jun-2020, 11:51)Confused Wrote: @KraaijCheck - can I ask how you are using your Roon serve NUC at the moment? That is, does it feed the Devialet via USB or are you using AIR or the Roon integrated AIR?

What ever the answer is to the above, have you ever tried this versus the alternative route and how find the differences, if any? (Which might be (Roon) AIR or USB, depending on the first answer)

I know that when I was running an Expert I achieved very good results using the Mutec MC3+USB, in my case fed by a Sonore microRendu. That said, I tried many things and personally had a preference for devices feeding the Deviaet via the AES/ EBU input. I then note that you did not like the Auralic Aries G1, which does have AES/EBU output, but maybe you tried this via USB? If you did try the Auralic Aries G1 via AES/EBU, this does suggest that your preferences might be slightly different. (although I have never actually heard the Auralic)

Just based on my own experience, I find myself tempted to say you should try a Mutec MC3+USB, which you could feed from your existing NUC, and would provide AES/EBU for the Devialet. It is hard to say if this would suit your own ears though, and I am guessing the Mutec would be a very hard thing for you to get for demo. Although companies like Thomann offer Mutec products a 30 day money back guarantee. Just a thought, and there is much written on the forum regarding the Mutec, see link below for some additional reading.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mutec-MC-3-USB

The auralic just wasn’t the right match in my system. It made it way to analytical and sucked out all the good things.