Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Baker (NickB)
Some members, particularly those who have links to Oxford Audio Consultants will know Nick as a member of this forum and from visits to OAC particularly on Devialet days with Mathieu Pernot. I know he was known to Confused, thumb5, GuillaumeB and no doubt others here as well.

I am sad to pass on the news that Nick died earlier today following a short and unexpected illness. He suffered a massive brain haemorrhage over the weekend and after emergency surgery, never regained consciousness.

Nick was a very dear friend to me, had an extraordinary generous attitude for others and has been taken from us far too soon. He was an otherwise extremely fit and healthy 66 year old on the cusp of an active and exciting retirement. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
Sad news
Roksan TMS3, Vetere SG-1 Tonearm, Dynavector XV-1S, Devialet 440 Pro, Sonus Faber Olympia III, Chord Epic speaker cable, etherREGEN switch, Roon, Isoacoustics under speakers, amps and turntable. MCRU power supplies
oh , so sad !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really sad news and all my condolences to his family and friends.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Greg, what terrible news, I'm so sorry to hear that. Although I only met Nick a handful of times, he left an impression as someone who had a zest for life and a wicked sense of humour; I can imagine that he was a great friend and will be very much missed.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
This is incredibly sad news. I guess many on this forum will only know Nick from his occasional postings here. I think it is fair to say that his posting style could be a little blunt on occasion, but this gives no indication whatsoever of the character of the man himself. I can still remember the first time I met Nick, which as Greg mentions above was at an event at Oxford Audio. I had worked out who he was, and based on his postings here I was a little wary of him. This wariness proved to be utterly unfounded, in no time at all we were chatting about all sorts of things, things audio, things music, things life, and basically just having a good old chat and laugh about things. Nick had a very sharp and slightly wicked sense of humor, which made him just plain very good fun to be around.

I remember one time at Oxford Audio, the official event activities were over, and we ended up on the sofa in the larger demo room. Nick was there with his very charming wife, and we were sat on that big sofa listening to music, taking turns to pick tracks via an iPad. Nick had a great knowledge of many things audio related, and clearly had a great knowledge of music, but the clearest memories of that day are of the jokes, humor, and laughs. I did not know Nick that well, but meeting him at that those events was a bit like meeting up with an old friend, he would great me with a smile and a firm shake of the hand, and after that the fun would start.

Despite the sad news, I am having a bit of a chuckle in my head now, remembering the day he turned up at Oxford Audio with a Raspberry Pi streamer that he had built, insisting that they should try this instead of the very expensive Aurender W20 OAC were demonstrating. Nick was a great character and taken from us far to early.

I feel a sense of loss just writing this now, but for the family and friends close to Nick this must be a devastatingly sad and difficult time.

With my sincere and deepest sympathy. Thanks for the memories Nick, you will be sadly missed.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I rarely post on here but it's never pleasant to be informed of somebody passing.

It certainly sounds like he was a lovely chap.....R.I.P. Nick and condolences to the family.

Dave
(16-Jul-2021, 08:02)DAVEDWACK Wrote: I rarely post on here but it's never pleasant to be informed of somebody passing.

It certainly sounds like he was a lovely chap.....R.I.P. Nick and condolences to the family.

Dave

Sad news- RIP and best wishes to friends and family.
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
My condolences to his family.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
RIP Nick Sad
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire