Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No founder at Devialet anymore
As part of the end-of-life news of Expert 250 and 1000, I was investigating more about Devialet and I discovered that last week the president Calmel also left the conpany. If I am not mistaken there is no more any of the co founders in Devialet. This is an interesting transition and probably will come up with even more news. 

Now I am seriously concerned about what will happen to configurator more than the updates about the amp. (Which were cut out ages ago)

Here is the English translation of the article:
https://www-challenges-fr.translate.goog...r_pto=wapp
That is indeed unfortunate. Hopefully more details will emerge over time. Hopefully it was to their financial benefit, but I would feel leaving behind their baby would be hard to do. I’ve read on other threads that people’s interactions with Devialet were mixed in terms of servicing their phantoms. My experience was all positive. They were actually very gracious. I had noticed that the cost of phantoms had increased significantly the past 11 - 12 months.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
I have a feeling that the discontinuation of the 250/1000 and the departure of Calmel are not unconnected. I also suspect the recent reduction of the warranty from 5 years to 2 years is relevant.

I suspect (based on no evidence whatsoever) he was using his influence to keep the product line open, against commercial pressures to focus on the higher volume lines.

If I'm right, this is possibly very bad news for the whole Expert line, even for existing owners who have no intention of buying more. 

It would also be tragic for the tech and Calmel's wonderful achievement if the only vessel for it (other than active speakers) were to become unmaintainable. 

The Configurator issue is a solvable problem, Devialet should, morally, open-source the IP once they no longer have any commercial interest in the Expert line - what reason is there for them not to? The repair issue is potentially a lot more worrying, because the units do, occasionally, go wrong, as did my D-Premier, and who can repair other than Seprolec?

Could we be looking at a situation whereby repair is impossible beyond expiry of longest-dated warranty, so, 2027?
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
Interesting and at the same time alarming development. If they haven't got an excellent communications strategy and soon, this will affect used Expert Pro prices and in the worst case make them overnight unwanted trade items.

I know I like my Expert Pro 220, but...
Contributing Editor, Hifimaailma -Magazine Finland
Part of the article is behind a paywall, later stating that Calmel only left presidency and remains a leading board member. The beginning also says that Nardin is still in office, too.
So hard to draw anything from a seemingly clickbait source.
Most probably, there is coming a new super upgrade for 250 Pro CI². For free, of course.