Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more spare parts?
Hi Guys, hope you are doing well!

I had a pair of Devialet Gold for three years now. One of them stopped working suddenly. I can still see it through the software, and connect to it but no sound is coming from it.

Anyway, I called customer service in France and they told me for three days that they don't have spare parts for the Devialet Phantom I in stock and don't know when they will get spare parts in their warehouse again.

I was frustrated as in France,  it is mandatory by law to have spare parts. I had to threaten them with a lawsuit to get someone from Devialet to call me and explain to me that they had found spare parts and they could "fix it".

They also mentioned that I would have a new serial number. Looks to me that they are going to give me a refurbished one. I had to threaten them with a lawsuit to get what they are promoting on their website (https://www.devialet.com/fr-fr/repair-pr...country=FR).

I said yes, paid 550€ and they should pick up my Phantom with UPS.

It really worries me, to have a high-end speaker that breaks after three years and the company doesn't have spare parts.

Did anyone have this issue with spare parts? Thank you in advance
I think with speakers like the phantoms, we need to reset our expectations for the longevity of audio equipment. The speakers have so much technology packed into them, that there is bound to be a failure that will cause them to be inoperable. If I get 5 years from my phantoms, then I know i'm on borrowed time. Its just the current state of consumer electronics.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(29-Oct-2023, 23:26)njaiswal Wrote: I think with speakers like the phantoms, we need to reset our expectations for the longevity of audio equipment.  The speakers have so much technology packed into them, that there is bound to be a failure that will cause them to be inoperable.  If I get 5 years from my phantoms, then I know i'm on borrowed time.  Its just the current state of consumer electronics.

Thank you and rightly said! I would be happy if they provided me a refurbished one for 550€. I am happy to not have taken the Devialet care as I am not sure it is a bargain. You put 250€ up front and later you pay 250€ again. Instead, as you say, you "hope" they last at least three years (2 years warranty + 1 year without). I am waiting now for the other one to "bug" soon. The concern is also around the spare parts you must fight for. About the current state, we can mention too that no one apart from Devialet is able to fix them (At least in France as far as I know).
Update from my side.

After struggling with customer service to have my Devialet Phantom I Gold repaired, I received it today.

They said they didn't have spare parts, but they finally found some.

First, I have noticed that the rear button has become transparent and the serial number has changed.

I cannot confirm if it is fixed or refurbished. In any case, it took a week to fix it for 550€ ($590)!
I hope your case will be an isolated one.

I own one Phantom I (old light Chrome) which is 8 years old and still works flawlessly.

Then I bought x2 Phantom I Golds, and 2x Phantom II 98 dB which are now 6 to 5 years old (respectively) and still woks flawlessly with no issues and great satisfaction. I use them mostly every days, one/two hours per day.

My only complaint, as most of you know, is that software wise are not always fully reliable sometimes.
Hardware wise…I touch wood, at the moment no issues.

I only need to mention that one Phantom II 98 dB turned off a couple of times, out the blue, while watching movies. Immediately turned it on again, then worked fine along the same movie. I think this could also be related to software but not really so sure about. Hope it won’t happen again. If a device turns off himself suddenly while working, it is not a proper good sign…

Regards
(09-Nov-2023, 07:32)massi.rav Wrote: I only need to mention that one Phantom II 98 dB turned off a couple of times, out the blue, while watching movies. Immediately turned it on again, then worked fine along the same movie. I think this could also be related to software but not really so sure about. Hope it won’t happen again. If a device turns off himself suddenly while working, it is not a proper good sign…

Regards

Thanks for your feedback. This is how it started with mine. Started to suddenly stop. As you mentioned out of the blue. 8 years is already a long period especially the frequency you use them. Maybe my speaker was faulty and the new one will hold for years, I sincerely hope so. In case of trouble with Devialet with spare parts, don't hesitate to insist and mention that it is mandatory to have parts by law. Do not let them tell you to wait. If you need help, you can reach me. Otherwise, for Phantom II, the cost of a full internal reparation is 350€ which I think is a fair price considering the amount of technology inside.
(10-Nov-2023, 08:40)molecule93 Wrote:
(09-Nov-2023, 07:32)massi.rav Wrote: I only need to mention that one Phantom II 98 dB turned off a couple of times, out the blue, while watching movies. Immediately turned it on again, then worked fine along the same movie. I think this could also be related to software but not really so sure about. Hope it won’t happen again. If a device turns off himself suddenly while working, it is not a proper good sign…

Regards

Thanks for your feedback. This is how it started with mine. Started to suddenly stop. As you mentioned out of the blue. 8 years is already a long period especially the frequency you use them. Maybe my speaker was faulty and the new one will hold for years, I sincerely hope so. In case of trouble with Devialet with spare parts, don't hesitate to insist and mention that it is mandatory to have parts by law. Do not let them tell you to wait. If you need help, you can reach me. Otherwise, for Phantom II, the cost of a full internal reparation is 350€ which I think is a fair price considering the amount of technology inside.

Hey mate, thanks for your suggestion and I keep my finger crossed.
My personal opinion ...
As long as there is no "built in" obsolescence they should live long. 3 Years is nothing and I do expect them to live at least 10 years+.

I had a lot other high-end Audio equipment and I never had any hardware problem with one of them.
The most critical electronic components are low-end (cheap) chinese capacitors which tend to dry out over time and then run out of specifications and going to lose their electrical properties... which causes outage of integrated circuits or transistors....

As fas I have seen in some youtube videos they have been using only quality components inside. 

So I guess there is no reason to worry ....
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
(12-Nov-2023, 15:58)Taucher666 Wrote: I had a lot other high-end Audio equipment and I never had any hardware problem with one of them.
The most critical electronic components are low-end (cheap) chinese capacitors which tend to dry out over time and then run out of specifications and going to lose their electrical properties... which causes outage of integrated circuits or transistors....

Thank you for your feedback. As I said before, Devialet doesn't have any spare parts in stock and they don't have any delivery dates too. This is very concerning. I had to struggle/fight to get mine repaired. By the way, China is not only providing cheap components but the components you are paying for. Most Apple products are built in China. I have been using my Imac for 7+ years, 16 hours a day. I have used KEF speakers for 10 years before. Same results. Keep in mind, that hardware is 50% of the speakers. The other 50% are around software. Could you please provide the links to the videos you are talking about? I am very interested to see what components are inside
(27-Oct-2023, 17:56)molecule93 Wrote: Hi Guys, hope you are doing well!

I had a pair of Devialet Gold for three years now. One of them stopped working suddenly. I can still see it through the software, and connect to it but no sound is coming from it.

Anyway, I called customer service in France and they told me for three days that they don't have spare parts for the Devialet Phantom I in stock and don't know when they will get spare parts in their warehouse again.

I was frustrated as in France,  it is mandatory by law to have spare parts. I had to threaten them with a lawsuit to get someone from Devialet to call me and explain to me that they had found spare parts and they could "fix it".

They also mentioned that I would have a new serial number. Looks to me that they are going to give me a refurbished one. I had to threaten them with a lawsuit to get what they are promoting on their website (https://www.devialet.com/fr-fr/repair-pr...country=FR).

I said yes, paid 550€ and they should pick up my Phantom with UPS.

It really worries me, to have a high-end speaker that breaks after three years and the company doesn't have spare parts.

Did anyone have this issue with spare parts? Thank you in advance
Hi 
I have the same problem with my Devialet Phantom Silver. One of them also stopped working. I can only see it in IP address but I got communication error 502 from Devialet web site. No any response and sound.
I wrote to Devialet support and finally I got same answer - we don’t have spare parts. Anyway, if they will get I’ll get it with white woofers and classic side plates instead of the silver one. This is pathetic. One works phantom will be silver and the second white!!!
Do you have number of UE regulations about mandatory by law to have spare parts?
Maybe they also find spare parts for me, I hope.

Best Regards
Beata