Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No sound on Companion????
(22-Jun-2015, 20:18)teddlesdee Wrote: Angry

After waiting for a week, all excited, my Dev companion came into the dealer today, so hotfooted it up to Coventry to pick up.

Se it all up as per the rather sparse instructions, including using the same (?) two speaker outputs as shown for left & right. Did the configure thing for both using default file name - really only switching on SAM....

Left channel (Master) is fine - right channel... NOTHING?????
Tried unplugging the cards on both units and restarting both and it says D200 on each?????
Still no rt channel.....
Checked speaker cables (OK)

Have no idea if the companion needs updating the sware to match the master - tried. but didn't see the files, so I guess not??????

What the hell am I doing wrong?

NOT Impressed with the almost non-existent docs on configuring a companion.

grrrrrrrrrrrr
Yours  - very frustrated...and fed up! Confused

Update the firmware on both units with exactly the same version, and then install a new configuration file in each,
where both configuration files are generated at the same time.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
Lots of helpful comments, guys. Thanks. To answers some of your questions:

1. you have saved separate configurations for the master and slave? - yes, this was done using the new Master/Companion cards that came with the unit. I entered the new serial number on the site then picked D400 and the configurator showed both units (in advanced mode). The link between them is as prescribed (Digital). I activated SAM on the Master & Slave showed the same. Apart from setting up wifi, not much else was changed... oh, apart from reducing the speaker max RMS wattage on each unit.
Each unit image has a corresponding download link and the appropriate config file was placed on each card.

2. Speaker connections - Hard to get this wrong I would suggest as the diagram that come with the unit shows the (counting from the left) 1 & 3 on the Master is red & black Left Speaker, 1 & 3 on the slave is Red & Black for right.

3. Updates - this puzzled me - nothing in the box or anywhere suggests updating the new unit. The Master (original) is 8.1 latest. The menu on the companion is a bit confusing , lots of screens, lots of abbreviations. Did notice one figure showing 7.1.3 which led me to think it had the old config, so tried to update it Like I had the Master....but for some reason it seemed to ignore the files on the card (no config file, just update files)
Can someone remind me the steps (button presses) to update, maybe by this time I was so pissed off, dripping in sweat, and fed up, so got it wrong!

If it turns out to be mismatched firmware, then its obvious that the slave config file would not be read, so thus my problem, but at this point, pure speculation???????

If I get this working (rather than throwing it back at Devialet), I will certainly be shouting at them for the very poor documentation. Not used to this, most electonics (even from the far east these days) have comprehensive accompanying instructions (or on CD/site), which cover the usual + what to check if something is wrong - Frankly it is even poorer given the cost of their equipment.

Cheers

Keith
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
IMO there's a responsibility for your dealer here as well. Devialet is not a factory direct brand but has premium dealers which are all trained. All your dealer seems to have done is hand you over the box..easy money for them! Wink If they haven't they should have at least offered to install the companion for you.

PS. The firmware upgrade to 8.1 is well documented by Devialet in a 15 page manual so that part of it all should be easy.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(23-Jun-2015, 09:48)Antoine Wrote: IMO there's a responsibility for your dealer here as well. Devialet is not a factory direct brand but has premium dealers which are all trained. All your dealer seems to have done is hand you over the box..easy money for them! Wink If they haven't they should have at least offered to install the companion for you.

+1 

I couldn't agree more, where on earth is the dealer?!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I had some problem with my new companion and I think it was due to the firmware. So I put in 8.0.0 as it was the newest when I got my second 200 on a SD card and updated each of them. Pulled the powercord and inserted the SD card and the updating started when I put in the powercord. After this I did a completely new config and put the on clean SD cards and after that it was ok.
I know I tried to update them befor but it was only when I pulled the powercord that the updating got right, I also think the way to do all this was rather badly discribed but now in 8.1 the have a manual so it is a little easier. After a couple of times you get the hang of it Smile
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(23-Jun-2015, 09:10)teddlesdee Wrote: 3. Updates - this puzzled me - nothing in the box or anywhere suggests updating the new unit. The Master (original) is 8.1 latest. The menu on the companion is a bit confusing , lots of screens, lots of abbreviations. Did notice one figure showing 7.1.3 which led me to think it had the old config, so tried to update it Like I had the Master....but for some reason it seemed to ignore the files on the card (no config file, just update files)
Can someone remind me the steps (button presses) to update, maybe by this time I was so pissed off, dripping in sweat, and fed up, so got it wrong!

If it turns out to be mismatched firmware, then its obvious that the slave config file would not be read, so thus my problem, but at this point, pure speculation???????

Cheers

Keith

It is hard to tell remotely, but point 3 above could potentially be your problem.  When you update firmware, the amp deletes two files from the SD card, so check the SD card has the full compliment of 17 files (not 15 files) and retry loading 8.1 onto the slave.  (some have reported that this is now 18 files with a manual added)  If you have less than 17 files, the amp will ignore the firmware on the SD card, no update will take place.

So, make a firmware 8.1 SD card, check this has at least 17 files.  Turn off the Devialet completely (switch off at the mains is easiest), load the 8.1 firmware card into the amp, switch on the amp, watch the display, you should see that the firmware is updating, it takes a couple of minutes.  Take a deep breath.....  Try some tunes.

If this doesn't work, a quiet chat with your dealer would be in order .......

Good luck!
Guys, problem solved - indeed the firmware needed to be updated as I and others here suspected.
It is easy to miss if you are not familiar with this kit, and I am very surprised that there is no standard reminder in the brief instructions, as this is just fundamental, and would prevent numpties like me having an instant meltdown, especially after shelling out big bucksl!

Anyhow, all working, so thanks to all that contributed to this thread. BTW: Faster that the dealer anyway!

Respect!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Very good! Now we've got that one sorted, you can tell us why you have a massive curry and naan as an avatar?

Oh, and enjoy the dual mono music!
I am the world renown curry connoisseur and founder member of... 'The Slightly Dangerous Club' a long-standing and very select secret organisation that promotes mild nutter behavior to help divert total abject lunacy in the middle-aged and older population, which wrecks lives. Our last venture was to take 13 unfortunate sufferers to Prague for 4 days last weekend, and apart from one incident (I can't tell you, can I?) the whole excursion was a resounding success, and no-one got killed or divorced!

You can give to this worthy cause by pledging your money to iwanttostopextrememiddleagecrisesbehaviour@caringforlunatics.com.

...and thanks old chap (and to all others that helped), I certainly will! I have already played Vangelis and a few others and note a pleasing & much wider sound-stage with better definition. Long may it continue!

Salut!
Great to hear that you're all sorted! I know that sinking feeling when you've just plugged it all together and it seems like it's never going to work. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK