Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noise from loudspeaker via Line-in source
Hi, has anyone experienced this problem?
The Devialet is connected via Goldkabel interconnect to a Marantz AV receiver.
As soon as I switch the source to line-in there is a constant noise coming from the loudspeakers (no noise from other sources). The noise disappears as soon as I unplug the interconnect cables from Devialet.
The strange thing is the noise is there even when the Marantz isn’t connected with a power cable at all.
Is the Marantz connected to any other equipment? First thoughts are that it could be a ground loop. What kind of noise it is - e.g. mains buzz/hum or something else?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(03-Aug-2020, 09:15)markush Wrote: Hi, has anyone experienced this problem?
The Devialet is connected via Goldkabel interconnect to a Marantz AV receiver.
As soon as I switch the source to line-in there is a constant noise coming from the loudspeakers (no noise from other sources). The noise disappears as soon as I unplug the interconnect cables from Devialet.
The strange thing is the noise is there even when the Marantz isn’t connected with a power cable at all.

Hello Markush, was that when the cable on the Marantz is disconnected? Cable with Marantz could act as an antenna!
Shielding defective, EM radiation, etc. Sad
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Like white noise? Pink noise? Hum? Buzz? RCA plugs both ends?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
The Marantz is only connected to surround a center speaker. But is not connected with power cable when the noise is also there. I recorded the noise with my smartphone -the noise seems to be also depending if the TV is connected with power cable or not!
Seems also depending on the TV cable - when connected to the TV directly the noise on the Devialet / speakers is really loud. Get‘s a bit better but still considerable when using the HMS Silenzio FM/TV ground loop isolator: sound recorded https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbwc614a4st8kq...t.m4a?dl=0
Without the HMS isolator it is really loud: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j96bkv06l9h24s...l.m4a?dl=0
I would guess the noise is more prominent with the Marantz off as the output from it is not terminated with active electronics. So you'd get silence when you remove the cables from Devialet (or the Marantz...). What is the noise like with the Marantz on?
If this is a ground loop you'd need an isolation transformer between the Marantz and Devialet to create galvanic isolation.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(03-Aug-2020, 11:03)ogs Wrote: I would guess the noise is more prominent with the Marantz off as the output from it is not terminated with active electronics. So you'd get silence when you remove the cables from Devialet (or the Marantz...). What is the noise like with the Marantz on?
If this is a ground loop you'd need an isolation transformer between the Marantz and Devialet to create galvanic isolation.

Yes it’s absolutely silent when I disconnect cables on Devialet.
Noise when Marantz is turned on is about
(03-Aug-2020, 14:22)markush Wrote:
(03-Aug-2020, 11:03)ogs Wrote: I would guess the noise is more prominent with the Marantz off as the output from it is not terminated with active electronics. So you'd get silence when you remove the cables from Devialet (or the Marantz...). What is the noise like with the Marantz on?

Yes it’s absolutely silent when I disconnect cables on Devialet.
Noise when Marantz is turned on is about

Sounds like a grounding problem.

I don’t have the problem with my line-in, but with some active sub woofer I experience the problem and resolved by solving the grounding.
Are Marantz and Devialet connected to your Niagara 5000? That could solve the groundig prob.

What’s with the noise by disconnect your antenna cable? Stiil the same noise level?
Yes both Devialet as well as Marantz are connected to High Current slots on the Niagara 5000.
Garth Powell suggested trying having on Devialet at the same ground level (in group 1/2 or 3/4) might help. Disconnecting the antenna cable just minimal decreases the noise. But not using the HMS Isolator between antenna cable and TV massively increases it.
Trying the suggestion of Garth - but really interesting how much things interfere with each other.