Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noisy optical input
(30-Oct-2015, 15:36)f1eng Wrote: SAM does do level dependant DSP correction based on the power handling spec of the drivers. Setting a fixed 0dB level on the Devialet and adjusting the actual level elsewhere will defeat this capability (giving reduced bass since SAM will be protecting the drivers from a level much higher than the actual) and is almost certainly going to reduce potential sound quality anyway.

Are you suggesting that anything that affects volume (like digital room correction through a computer) placed before the Spark would defeat the SAM?
(01-Nov-2015, 10:13)bearcatsandor Wrote:
(30-Oct-2015, 15:36)f1eng Wrote: SAM does do level dependant DSP correction based on the power handling spec of the drivers. Setting a fixed 0dB level on the Devialet and adjusting the actual level elsewhere will defeat this capability (giving reduced bass since SAM will be protecting the drivers from a level much higher than the actual) and is almost certainly going to reduce potential sound quality anyway.

Are you suggesting that anything that affects volume (like digital room correction through a computer) placed before the Spark would defeat the SAM?

I think f1eng may have misunderstood a little here. SAM is sensing the actual signal driving the speaker so should do the right thing irrespective of the digital level of the source material. The DSP correction is not locked to fixed levels.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(01-Nov-2015, 12:40)ogs Wrote:
(01-Nov-2015, 10:13)bearcatsandor Wrote:

I think f1eng may have misunderstood a little here. SAM is sensing the actual signal driving the speaker so should do the right thing irrespective of the digital level of the source material. The DSP correction is not locked to fixed levels.

You are quite right, I was wrong about sam.
I still don't see the point in not using the Spark volume control. It is unlikely for an alternative to be any better.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire