Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob Network Issues— Please Help
Exclamation 
Good people of Devialet Chat, thank you for letting me into your community!
As this is my first post, not sure if I should introduce myself or talk about my path to devialet etc etc
Alas, I shall remain on topic:
I have an expert 400 system and have been listening to music by streaming roon via a roon nucleus’s USB output directly to my master unit’s USB input. The sound is terrific with my newly acquired magnepan 1.7i speakers, even in my relatively small Brooklyn apartment.
However, so many reviewers and user talk about how the Ethernet input is the best sounding input.
Just one problem, I simply can’t get the thing to work.
I am running the latest firmware 10.1
I turn on the Ethernet input when I configure the units. Insert SD cards— switch input— NOTHING
Okay so I downloaded Devialet Air build 3.2 and 3.4 open the program and it does nothing, I can’t even interact with the menus— running on an IMac with latest operating system.
Okay, uninstall AiR and try to get your roon to recognize the zone— Not working 
Okay, reboot router, change Ethernet cables, turn monoblocs on and off etc etc
NOTHING
Should I just give up and enjoy the sound of the USB input or is there something I am missing?
PLEASE HELP!    Huh
Hello @AbaloneSandwich, welcome to DC.

The first thing to check is whether your 400 is visible on your network; in particular, whether it has an IP address.

Can you describe exactly how the 400 is connected on Ethernet?  For example, do you have a point-to-point connection from the 400 to the Nucleus, or are they both connected to a switch?  Using a switch is easier to get working initially.

Assuming they're both connected to a switch, do you see an LED lit on both the switch ports that the 400 and Nucleus plug into?  If so, that means the basic Ethernet link is established.  In that case the next step is to make sure that the 400 has got an address on your network.

To check that, you can use the information menu on the 400's display (accessible from the remote control).  Scroll through until you get to the section for the Ethernet interface, where it should show the IP address - it should look something like 192.168.1.13 (although the numbers will almost certainly be different for your network).

If you can see an IP address for the 400, then the Nucleus should be able to talk to it.  Anyway, let us know what you find.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(28-Jan-2019, 21:53)thumb5 Wrote: Hello @AbaloneSandwich, welcome to DC.

The first thing to check is whether your 400 is visible on your network; in particular, whether it has an IP address.

Can you describe exactly how the 400 is connected on Ethernet?  For example, do you have a point-to-point connection from the 400 to the Nucleus, or are they both connected to a switch?  Using a switch is easier to get working initially.

Assuming they're both connected to a switch, do you see an LED lit on both the switch ports that the 400 and Nucleus plug into?  If so, that means the basic Ethernet link is established.  In that case the next step is to make sure that the 400 has got an address on your network.

To check that, you can use the information menu on the 400's display (accessible from the remote control).  Scroll through until you get to the section for the Ethernet interface, where it should show the IP address - it should look something like 192.168.1.13 (although the numbers will almost certainly be different for your network).

If you can see an IP address for the 400, then the Nucleus should be able to talk to it.  Anyway, let us know what you find.
Thank you so much for the reply and the welcome!
My Roon nucleus and the master unit of the 400 system are both independently connected to a netgear orbi switch/router. The micro leds on the Ethernet jacks are lit so packages must be being sent and received. As far as the IP address, that I do not know, I will check back when I get home and report.
Hi mate,

Welcome to Le Chat.

If you're using a Nucleus, you can use the Roon AIR version. It's much more stable than the Devialet version. So delete AIR off your mac and stick with the Nucleus. If you have both the Master and Nucleus cabled up to the network, Roon should just see the Expert. In your case it doesn't so I'm going to assume there's something not right with the configuration. Sometimes it can get corrupted, even by the configurator itself.

So start a completely new config. Restart everything. Turn it all off and turn on the Expert first, then the router, then the Nucleus.

Try Below for configuration:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-c...l-s-method

Don't muck around with WIFI at all. That's just asking for trouble. But I see you're using cable so you're on the right track there.

Good luck.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(28-Jan-2019, 21:59)AbaloneSandwich Wrote:
(28-Jan-2019, 21:53)thumb5 Wrote: Hello @AbaloneSandwich, welcome to DC.

Thank you so much for the reply and the welcome!
My Roon nucleus and the master unit of the 400 system are both independently connected to a netgear orbi switch/router. The micro leds on the Ethernet jacks are lit so packages must be being sent and received. As far as the IP address, that I do not know, I will check back when I get home and report.
I just got home and I did a fully firmware re-install and separate configuration re-install. Same result, when I switch inputs, it does not switch to Ethernet. As far as confirming an IP address, I don’t seem to. Know how to do that. When I press tone on the menu, I circle through treble, bass, balance, and some other options, but I don’t see any Ethernet/IP address menus at all...
I figured out how to toggle the advanced settings
Under Ethernet it says “duet module not installed”
What does that mean??
(29-Jan-2019, 00:17)AbaloneSandwich Wrote: I figured out how to toggle the advanced settings
What does that mean??

The Duet board runs AIR.  In a 400, the master has a Duet board, the companion does not.  Maybe you are connecting ethernet to your companion, which will not work, rather than the master, where it should work?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(29-Jan-2019, 00:35)Confused Wrote:
(29-Jan-2019, 00:17)AbaloneSandwich Wrote: I figured out how to toggle the advanced settings
What does that mean??

The Duet board runs AIR.  In a 400, the master has a Duet board, the companion does not.  Maybe you are connecting ethernet to your companion, which will not work, rather than the master, where it should work?

OMG, you sir are a HERO. I had been using my master as the companion and vice versa.
I had no idea there was a difference between them.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!