Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not enough bass
I feel like my phantom gold doesn’t have enough bass. It doesn’t have the same sound as in their shop where the bass if felt in the chest. Does anyone have this problem. And what  do you listen at
Maybe placement and or how its positioned, size of the room. Are you comparing *exactly* the *same* source material as in the DEMO environment, *with the same signal path*?

First big jump i saw was taking it off of a table/buffet thing and using the Trees. They do make a difference.
(id imagine a similar pedestal would work, i dont think the trees are magic), but the placement giving the speaker room to breath and not have a blocking surface on the bottom makes a difference.

The Gecko are even better. Put the speaker near a corner, its made it even better for my case.

I've noticed dramatic differences based on room position. How close are you to a wall? Bass reflects and will also resonate if its close to a wall. Think corner mounted gecko for example, vs positioned in the middle of a long wall away from corners, vs sitting on a counter top, for example. each will color the sound in a different way.

Lots of things go into the final sound you hear/feel.

Normal listening level is about 30 - 50, before my wife complains. Party mode 50-60 rarely above that unless 2112 is playing. Smile
She got me a sign that says "My neighbors are listening to Great Music whether they like it or not"
Which OS are you using? With DOS1, if you're using Night Mode the bass will be lower
(30-Sep-2020, 18:25)Jason12345678 Wrote: I feel like my phantom gold doesn’t have enough bass. It doesn’t have the same sound as in their shop where the bass if felt in the chest. Does anyone have this problem. And what  do you listen at

Any chance that you using a single gold but listened to two golds?  I recall reading of a similar lament a few years now, and that poster did not make clear that he was not using a pair of golds, thus triggering discussion on whether it was better to have a single gold or two whites, and the concession, although not unanimous, was a pair in stereo is better than a single in mono.
In addition to the other comments, each Gold Phantom needs a lot of (clean) power in order to turn up the volume and not have the sound quality degrade. With two Gold Phantoms, you would benefit from putting each onto its own 120V 15A circuit instead of sharing a single circuit if you are playing loud.
Neko Audio
I've just update my two Golds from DOS 1 to DOS2, and they sound very different...
Way way LESS bass but a clarity gain.
Depending on music type, sometime better, sometime not as good...

So maybe you listened to Golds using DOS1 in the shop ?
2 x Phantom I 108db Dark Chrome in Direct Optical Mode to a Sonos Connect
Sonos Arc + Sub + 2 x Play:1
Sonos Playbar
4 Sonos zones of 2xPlay:1
I agree that on dos 2 less bass observed.
I have not paid that close attention but the bass and power is still there with my Gold Phantom on the very latest DOS. As per Scotthar comments - its very important to have the speakers elevated - I am using the Tree.

Also, tiled floors does not provide good acoustics - much more preferable carpeted room.