Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obsolescence
Hi Guys,

I am new on the chat but I noticed that it seems the Phantom doesn't last that long.

Seems to me that 3 years is the magic number.

For me, it is!

Precisely 3 years after buying them ... One stopped working for me on that anniversary date (Bought the 5th of October 2020)

I am wondering how everything inside (components, cable...) can hold such a massive sound. Vibrations must have an impact on electronics too.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Do you think they hold more than 3 years? What's your personal experience?
I know I'm going to jinx myself... but I bought my first pair of phantoms (white) in 2016 and they're still working...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Also I bought a pre-owned Phantom 1 Silver a few months ago... its still running DOS1 and I connected to an AppleTV through my Dante network. I'm pretty sure that maybe the oldest phantom I have...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Lucky you!

I recently discovered on the forum that Phantoms really plays at 48Hz instead of 96Hz as advertised.

20 Phantom speakers must have cost you a fortune for this sound quality.

Is it in a house or a warehouse?
My personal opinion ...
As long as there is no "built in" obsolescence they should live long. 3 Years is nothing and I do expect them to live at least 10 years+.

I had a lot other high-end Audio equipment and I never had any hardware problem with one of them.
The most critical electronic components are low-end (cheap) chinese capacitors which tend to dry out over time and then run out of specifications and going to lose their electrical properties... which causes outage of integrated circuits or transistors....

As fas I have seen in some youtube videos they have been using only quality components inside.

So I guess there is no reason to worry ....
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
(12-Nov-2023, 16:06)Taucher669 Wrote: My personal opinion ...
As long as there is no "built in" obsolescence they should live long. 3 Years is nothing and I do expect them to live at least 10 years+.

I had a lot other high-end Audio equipment and I never had any hardware problem with one of them.
The most critical electronic components are low-end (cheap) chinese capacitors which tend to dry out over time and then run out of specifications and going to lose their electrical properties... which causes outage of integrated circuits or transistors....

As fas I have seen in some youtube videos they have been using only quality components inside.

So I guess there is no reason to worry ....

As mentioned in a previous post, hardware is 50%. The other 50% are around software. Devialet Speakers are guaranteed only two years. If it has high-end components, it should be guaranteed a least 5 years. Even Kia cars are guaranteed 7 years ... Do you work at Devialet?
(31-Oct-2023, 16:56)molecule93 Wrote: Hi, I bought my two silver phantoms in early 2016. In february 2023 the first one broke down. I got it repaired for 550€ without knowing what was wrong.
Yesterday the second one broke down.
This is disgraceful given the price of these products. My first stereo equipment (NOKIA sic!) amplifier and loudspeakers still work after 35 years!!!!

Hi Guys,

I am new on the chat but I noticed that it seems the Phantom doesn't last that long.

Seems to me that 3 years is the magic number.

For me, it is!

Precisely 3 years after buying them ... One stopped working for me on that anniversary date (Bought the 5th of October 2020)

I am wondering how everything inside (components, cable...) can hold such a massive sound. Vibrations must have an impact on electronics too.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Do you think they hold more than 3 years? What's your personal experience?
(03-Nov-2023, 05:51)molecule93 Wrote: Lucky you!

I recently discovered on the forum that Phantoms really plays at 48Hz instead of 96Hz as advertised.

20 Phantom speakers must have cost you a fortune for this sound quality.

Is it in a house or a warehouse?

In a home.  I have 2 phantom home theaters and have phantoms in each bedroom, my office, kitchen and I have a pair for the patio that I keep in cabinet when they're not in use.