Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New loudspeaker advice
I am looking to add a set of standmount speakers/ bookshelf . I am auditioning triangle competes and Dali sensor 3. I would like your thoughts on these or any experiences and I would like to consider Kef ls50 and rs300 but do not have ready access to a dealer. Has any one any views on any of the above. My preference is detail and soundstage over bass. And would be placed in a relatively free space.

Colin
The good thing about owning a Devialet is that it's compact enough to bring it along for auditioning. My advice is not to listen to us but bring the amp along and listen to as many as you can until one jumps out at you.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
(26-Feb-2017, 18:12)colin2040 Wrote: I am looking to add a set of standmount speakers/ bookshelf . I am auditioning triangle competes and Dali sensor 3. I would like your thoughts on these or any experiences and I would like to consider Kef ls50 and rs300 but do not have ready access to a dealer. Has any one any views on any of the above. My preference is detail and soundstage over bass. And would be placed in a relatively free space.

Colin

I know it's always the correct solution but living in a rural area and working away from home doesn't always make it easy even when it's compact. But I do find it useful to understand other people's opinions of loudspeakers particularily when they are units that have SAM suitability. You can never really substitute hearing it for yourself.
Hi Colin,

I understand the difficulties of auditioning, especially if you are not near dealers. In general, we are all limited in our choices by the available products in our area. And I also understand the value of the 'ears' of others. I have not heard the Triangle or Dali speakers, but I have heard the Devialet with the Atohm GT-1, the Totem Element Ember and Fire, Harbeth P3ES-R and my old ProAc Tabletes. They are all fine speakers and with SAM should give good bass response. IMHO, the LS50 is limited on the bottom end, from 70 Hz on down, but others may feel differently. In fact, you can count on it! When I was speaker shopping, I found the Revel M106 and the Focal Aria 906 kind of un-involving.

It would be helpful for others if they knew something about your room, your Devialet model, your general location, and of course, your listening preferences. A budget wouldn't or target price wouldn't go amiss, either. If you've got $10,000.00 in hand, the choices get much more interesting. Me personally? I'm going to say the Lawrence Audio Mandolin, or the Amphion 3S, bringing you in at about $4,000.00.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I own ls50 and let me tell you that Atohms, while being more expensive, have similar midrange. The resolution and imaging is more focused on the ls50s, while instrument separation is bigger in the Atohms giving it a more room filling sound.

Whether you want to save for good cable or spend a little on the Atohms. Both decisions are good.

I am into the path of upgrading my ls50s and oh god it is the hardest task to find something that bests these without spending 3x the amount.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
Thanks it's all helpful. I think I am going to have to try and get a Kef audition to hear them. The ls50 are very tempting but would rather hear them first. My room is reasonably large for uk standards. And the ceilings are 4.5/5 m high. It does act abit like a theatre, I don't listen at what I would call large sound levels and the room could probably do with some treatments ,rugs etc.
I have got a new set of speakers coming for trial, they are triangle elara ln05. They have come highly recommended from a dealer I trust so I get a home audition for a month which is great. Also got a loan of some speaker cable, vovox. It's been a real shock extremely big improvement so it may be a keeper but will wait for the new speakers first.
(04-Mar-2017, 09:30)colin2040 Wrote: I have got a new set of speakers coming for trial, they are triangle elara ln05. They have come highly recommended from a dealer I trust so I get a home audition for a month which is great. Also got a loan of some speaker cable, vovox. It's been a real shock extremely big improvement so it may be a keeper but will wait for the new speakers first.

So you are saying there is a big improvement just from the change in speaker cable?
Good luck in the journey with the new speakers , I did it last year and thoroughly enjoyed the process
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I know there's always the discussion about whether a cable can make a difference.i have an easy solution for the test.i don't listen to them I let my wife do it . But the vovox cables were a far more detailed sound more defined.bass tightened up but I have always preferred solid core type cables and these are but the chords I currently use are stranded. But as I said I won't change anything until the new speakers are installed.
(04-Mar-2017, 11:40)colin2040 Wrote: I know there's always the discussion about whether a cable can make a difference.i have an easy solution for the test.i don't listen to them I let my wife do it . But the vovox cables were a far more detailed sound more defined.bass tightened up but I have always preferred solid core type cables and these are but the chords I currently use are stranded. But as I said I won't change anything until the new speakers are installed.

I do this everytime I decide to go to the store as a final judge, before paying the big sorry cash (and getting financially lectured be her while driving to & back from the store).
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia