Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Older Firmware for Expert Pro CI
(15-Nov-2018, 19:53)audio_engr Wrote: The current FW is 13 with DOS 2.2.2 but I am not happy with the bass-to-mid response from my Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 speakers. I tried it with SAM and without SAM but still it didn't help much. 

I wish to downgrade to a FW that still good with the Pro CI amps ... 

Where can I get hold of beta14 much spoken off ?

I have a copy of beta 14, If you PM me your email address I would be happy to send you a copy.

Are you aware of Rufus' firmware archive?  Although this seems to have everything but Beta 14.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet...re-Archive

One thought regarding your midbass issue, I have played with DSP, room correction and many things.  I respect your "purest" approach, and indeed, when I use room correction I can see that a degree of dynamics and detail is lost.  Yes there are benefits, but keeping the signal path "pure" has it's benefits also.  However, I have found that with the Devialet, the tone controls seem to have almost zero negative effects, other than the required change to the tone.  Why not try the bass at +1 or +2 dB for a while?  Purest sensibilities blown I know, but it might be interesting to try for a few days?

EDIT: Plus, the tone controls are fully configurable via the configurator..... (Purist sensibilities blown even further.....)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(17-Nov-2018, 09:53)Confused Wrote:
(15-Nov-2018, 19:53)audio_engr Wrote: The current FW is 13 with DOS 2.2.2 but I am not happy with the bass-to-mid response from my Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 speakers. I tried it with SAM and without SAM but still it didn't help much. 

I have a copy of beta 14, If you PM me your email address I would be happy to send you a copy.

Are you aware of Rufus' firmware archive?  Although this seems to have everything but Beta 14.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet...re-Archive

One thought regarding your midbass issue, I have played with DSP, room correction and many things.  I respect your "purest" approach, and indeed, when I use room correction I can see that a degree of dynamics and detail is lost.  Yes there are benefits, but keeping the signal path "pure" has it's benefits also.  However, I have found that with the Devialet, the tone controls seem to have almost zero negative effects, other than the required change to the tone.  Why not try the bass at +1 or +2 dB for a while?  Purest sensibilities blown I know, but it might be interesting to try for a few days?

EDIT: Plus, the tone controls are fully configurable via the configurator.....  (Purist sensibilities blown even further.....)

I deliberately haven't included beta firmwares there because of potential risk if they caused issues or whatever, and possibly Devialet may not be so keen for old betas to be available.   It would be useful to have them of course...

[actually I did include expert-pro-2.1_rc4 for some reason. I think Devialet seemed to treat this as an official release]
Plus theres no such thing as ‘pure’ signal path in a Devialet Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

...or in any other system, for that matter.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
A simple fuse change on the power cords can change the tonal qualities of the hifi. I see the the OP is using synergistic research power cords maybe a little bit of tweaking is required in that department. As for the speaker cable suggestion I have seen in my own setup how much difference they can make.

How do your speakers measure in your current room @audio_engr?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Thank you @Hifi_swlon, @Devialetuser, @thumb5, @Rufus McDufus, @Confused and @David A for your suggestions & recommendations. 

I have a very funny room, please see below prior to any treatments &/or audio in the room ... 

Bare room in the basement  

[img][Image: without-dimensions.jpg][/img]

Same room with dimensions in Feet.
NOTE : You notice the ceiling is lower for almost 1/3 of the room & then becomes higher for 2/3 of the room.

[img][Image: with-dimensions.jpg][/img]

Having consulted 4 of the very well known acoustic companies, everyone unanimously agreed that my Front wall should be the one with the lower ceiling height, setup my speaker along the Front Wall with the speaker's baffle approx. 3.5 Feet out and my Listening Seat approx. 10 to 12 Feet from the Front Wall. Thereafter, the usual room acoustic treatments etc. Of course, you are seeing these pictures without the room being enclosed that I have upon building a drywall with a door that forms the Left Sidewall from my Listening seat. 

I have been toying with the correct speaker placement for over 2 months now and realised there's a bass suck out from 50Hz ~ 150Hz and this had been bugging me constantly ... It became even more apparent after incorporating the PS Audio Regenerator. I had almost given up and looked at trying older Devialet Firmwares if that would help. I even considered toying with the DSP in Roon to see if the bass can be restored. 

As a last try, I called Bowers & Wilkins UK Factory yesterday and spoke of my issues with an eminent person there with great knowledge & loads of practical experience with their 800-series loudspeakers. I moment I sent him the 2 pictures above by email, immediately 10 minutes later on the phone, he said "Reverse the room setup and place the speakers on the wall behind the earlier Listening Chair and similarly the chair goes back where the speakers were earlier but under the low ceiling .. just out of the low ceiling portion and into the higher ceiling. Pull the speakers from now the "New Front Wall" by 5.0 Feet and toe-in of not more that 20 degrees.     

I incorporated the above suggested switch of the entire placement 2 hours back AND ... man! absolute nirvana !!!  I have not heard my system sound sooooo good ever !!!  Now I need to pull off several acoustic panels that B&W feel not required as it robs the life of the room ... 

Am onto the next thing which is to pull of the bass traps first and replace the corners with trees ...

The Devialet FW is 13.0.0 with DOS 2.2.2 and its great. SAM is ON and also at 100%. 

Wow !!! What a new learning ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Glad you found a solution which doesn't involve building alterations. I'm 71, have been playing with audio seriously for more than 40 years, and still find some aspects of room setup a black art. One thing I will say and that is that, like me, you have an irregular shaped room (mine is L-shaped with 2 large archway entrances). It's easy to find all sorts of guidance on how to set things up and acoustically treat a normal rectangular room with doors that can be closed, especially one without windows to disturb the layout plan, but if you have an irregular room it's virtually impossible to find useful advice and it's usually down to experimentation. Finding someone in the B&W factory who could provide the advice you got on the basis of some photos is the equivalent of winning the lottery in my view. You've been extremely fortunate.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia