Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion on mono gold vs stereo elevate
Hi everyone

So I recently had a chance to audition a stereo system of gold and elevate. Unfortunately the store would not let me test speakers in mono. 

My budget is around 3.5K euro which leaves room for 2 elevate and a dialog or 1 gold and a dialog. What would you consider to be the best value for money? I did notice better upper end on the stereo golds but the mono thing puts me off. 

I also don't think I would be willing to buy the 2nd gold soon enough (the misses might kill me) 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks
the sound coming from a single Phantom gold is not good at all.
You should consider buying a pair.
Since Devialet Phantom software are poorly maintained by the support team, i would advise you to try other brands.
So much issues make this device not worth its value.
(18-Sep-2018, 10:30)Caspase Wrote: Hi everyone

So I recently had a chance to audition a stereo system of gold and elevate. Unfortunately the store would not let me test speakers in mono. 

My budget is around 3.5K euro which leaves room for 2 elevate and a dialog or 1 gold and a dialog. What would you consider to be the best value for money? I did notice better upper end on the stereo golds but the mono thing puts me off. 

I also don't think I would be willing to buy the 2nd gold soon enough (the misses might kill me) 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks

Stereo will always be more satisfying than mono. 

Therefore, unless you have an opportunity to buy a second gold shortly after the first one, I would favor the two elevates over a single gold any time. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I have read through múltipla threads. Seems some people have connection issues. I think I might just buy the 2 elevates and then test if there is an issue or not in my house.  

Thank you for your advice. Will report back with feedback for future information.
I would go with single gold, that way you have option to upgrade in the future, instead of trying to sell an old pair of phantoms...
(19-Sep-2018, 18:55)Caspase Wrote: I have read through múltipla threads. Seems some people have connection issues. I think I might just buy the 2 elevates and then test if there is an issue or not in my house.  

Thank you for your advice. Will report back with feedback for future information.

I think that they still have the 45 day trial option so I would try the two elevates and then see how they go. Not having stereo negates the improvement of the gold. The higher upper end and better DAC improve stereo imaging - but not much imaging with only one. Myself, I bought two silvers on the trial, then after that handed them back and bought two golds :-). The missus was not that happy, but she has grown to love them too now. Yeh the software is a bit crap, but put them on a decent network and Spark is solid (if quirky and annoying to deal with). Many hours of great listening - got Stereo!!!! for sure.
Kit: 2 x Devialet Phantom Gold’s plus 3 year Phantom care packs, White tree stands, Dialog, Phantom Remote. Use jRiver, Spark, Roon with a HiFiBerry RAAT using a fibre output.
I own three gold and 3 elevate. Choice is super simple, go with two Elevates.
You don't need Dialog with a single Phantom.

I have one Gold and l like it. It's playing 10 hours a day. (Had a Silver before)