Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical Network with Devialet
Hi,
I currently have Sotm SNH-10G network switch fed by Sbooster LPS. Mac Mini and Devialet 220 are connected to it with Supra CAT8.
I have another standard unmanaged switch which I am planning to replace with Ubiquiti Unifi us-8-150w(not bought yet). It also has 2 different 1Gbps-SFP port.

The smart Tv, NAS, satellite receivers etc are all connected to this switch. I am planning to connect Sotm SNH-10G and Ubiquiti Unifi us-8-150w with an optical cable.Do you have similiar experiences? What do you think about this network topology? Do you advise any other switches(Mikrotik etc) instead of Ubiquiti Unifi us-8-150w?
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2
(31-Jan-2020, 22:54)CongoFather Wrote: Hi,
I currently have Sotm SNH-10G network switch fed by Sbooster LPS. Mac Mini and Devialet 220 are connected to it with Supra CAT8.
I have another standard unmanaged switch which I am planning to replace with Ubiquiti Unifi us-8-150w(not bought yet). It also has 2 different 1Gbps-SFP port.

The smart Tv, NAS, satellite receivers etc are all connected to this switch. I am planning to connect  Sotm SNH-10G and Ubiquiti Unifi us-8-150w with an optical cable.
Do you have similiar experiences? What do you think about this network topology? Do you advise any other switches(Mikrotik etc) instead of Ubiquiti Unifi us-8-150w?

All Ubiquiti here (my main switch is a 16 POE-150 with a 8 POE-150 serving all the bedrooms at the other end of the apartment).  I have to say that a few years down the line I couldn't be happier with my choice.  Rock solid, superb management UI and a constant stream of firmware updates.  POE is a godsend as it enables you to position the wifi access points for coverage rather than proximity to power outlets.  I don't use optical (yet) but at some point I will have to upgrade the connection between the two switches to optical to save space in the ducting so I can upgrade the wired cables for the stereo from CAT 5e to 6A or 8.  

But 5 strutses out of 5 for Ubiquiti from me at least!
@CongoFather I also use Ubiquiti equipment and as @struts say they are rock solid not a problem with them. I use Ubiquiti X Router SFP and Unifi AP (my audio gear is connected a etherREGEN that is connected via fiber to the router, rest of my home comes from a 24port Netgear).
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Which one do you think is better for audio data transfer between Ubiquiti
Unifi US-8-150W (20W excluding POE output,silent fanless operation(0.5 dBr), INTERNAL-ONLY! Power adapter) ,
Edge Router12 (20W power consumption;slient fanless operation;External AC/DC Power Adapter -24V DC) and
EdgeSwitch 10x (It can be fed with 24 LPS and it supports passive cooling. It also has 2 1GB SFP port)
?

The number of ethernet ports(should be at least 6 for me) and number OF SFP ports(at least 1) ,which all models supports, are enough for me. Two of them supports external power supply; the other one has only INTERNAL power supply. If Unifi US-8-150W supported External power supply(for LPS), I would not think for a minute and choose it.

But currently I am close to EdgeSwitch 10x for its simplicity, allowing fiber connection and its LPS support.
Note: The audio-related hardware will still be connected to Sotm SNH-10G.
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2
(01-Feb-2020, 19:21)CongoFather Wrote: Which one do you think is better for audio data transfer between Ubiquiti
Unifi US-8-150W  (20W excluding POE output,silent fanless operation(0.5 dBr), INTERNAL-ONLY! Power adapter)  ,
Edge Router12    (20W power consumption;slient fanless operation;External AC/DC Power Adapter -24V DC) and
EdgeSwitch 10x  (It can be fed with 24 LPS and it supports passive cooling. It also has 2 1GB SFP port)
?

The number of ethernet ports(should be at least 6 for me) and number OF SFP ports(at least 1) ,which all models supports, are enough for me. Two of them supports external power supply; the other one has only INTERNAL power supply. If Unifi US-8-150W supported External power supply(for LPS), I would not think for a minute and choose it. 

But currently I am close to EdgeSwitch 10x for its simplicity, allowing fiber connection and its LPS support.
Note: The audio-related hardware will still be connected to Sotm SNH-10G.

Fair question @CongoFather, and I will defer to @octaviars (who is both knowledgeable and takes power, grounding etc. very seriously) for a considered answer.

My own choice was dictated by the shape of my apartment ("long and narrow") combined with very (18") thick walls. This makes radio planning quite challenging and means that optimum AP placement is essential to achieve good wifi coverage with a minimum number of APs.  This in turn necessitated PoE at both ends of the apartment, and I went with the simple solution of PoE-enabled switches rather than fiddling with injectors.  My bigrig is now "shielded" by an Uptone EtherREGEN switch, so I took the chance that LPS on the main and secondary switches would make little or no difference.  If the EtherREGEN turns out to offer a worthwhile improvement I will also try it out "back-to-front" in front of my Phantoms.
Can anyone explain why you need more than 10g tput in your home and on every channel?
Basically your using 1.25GB of t/put on every Gi.
(07-Feb-2020, 22:59)eladeb Wrote: Can anyone explain why you need more than 10g tput in your home and on every channel?
Basically your using 1.25GB of t/put on every Gi.

All devices mentioned in this topic are gigabit, not 10Gbit’s. The SOTM does have 10G in its name but it’s not 10Gbit/s
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I bought Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 10x which has 8 gigabit ethernet and 2x1GB SFP ports.  Kunter suggested H!Fiber OS1/OS2 LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable 9/125 Singlemode Duplex cable and StarTech.com 1000BASE-ZX SFP Transceiver Module found at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747WZ8LZ/. I bought them. Finally I connected SOTM SNH-10G and EdgeSwitch 10x using the fiber cable.. The result is excellent. Loading and starting to play a very large file (DSD128) using Roon which are loaded from NAS just happened in a second with about 400mbps speed without any packet error/drops. Playing large files is like playing them directly from memory. It is very fast,clear and transparent..

My Final Network Diagram
[Image: Audio-Network-1.jpg]