Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Optical dropouts
@meeotch I checked my email archive. Time flies! Turns out I researched this back in late 2015! Sorry about the time error. The situation is probably the same today though. And two USB devices would most likely give you trouble with timing, unless the devices have word clock inputs so you can clock them from the same reference. The offer from Vincent Brient actually included re-programming of the FPGA in the d1 by the way.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
@meeotch maybe the Devialet guy who 'also suggested that a split channel optical setup' was thinking about the 'Dante dongle'? We know nothing about this device apart from the photos and some PR text posted a while ago. https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4632
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Hi all,
Optical splitter sounds delightfully technical.
I got an e-mail from the support team, telling me that they coud see from my error reports, that my household got "bad" power.
I haven't had ANY problems with all of my other electronics.
But here's the deal ... I found an old power regenerator, that I plugged my phantoms and dialog into.
By some magic EVERYTHING worked as it should! I could airplay, Bluetooth and optical without any dropouts.
The power regenerator was not made to sit in my livingroom, as the fans put out 87db, but the test was a success!
I think that the Phantoms have REALLY crappy power components inside.
Anyways, if you have dropouts, try to measure what's in your walloutlet.
My quest is now headed towards online ups'es and power regenerators. If I win the lottery I'll get myself a ps audio p10, but for now I'll have to find something less expensive.
Cheers guys.
@ogs and anyone else interested: customer support claims that they are sending me an optical splitter. I told them I didn't think there was such an animal, and the rep said it definitely existed and she'd get back to me. This should be interesting.
@meeotch that is indeed interesting! Please report back when you receive it!
Devialetless!
(20-Jan-2018, 10:20)ogs Wrote: @meeotch  maybe the Devialet guy who 'also suggested that a split channel optical setup' was thinking about the 'Dante dongle'? We know nothing about this device apart from the photos and some PR text posted a while ago. https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4632

I think this is available now.....

https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-...al-adapter
Thanks for the link @Extra Gravity . I've requested specs and pricing from both Auvitran and Devialet. We'll see.
Dante Asio virtual sound card (DVS) for PC or Mac is just $30. The Dante Controller is free according to Audinate. It may be possible to route L and R to separate units, but I have absolutely no experience with Dante and I do not know if the Controller is necessary. No Linux support it seems
Devialetless!
(19-Jan-2018, 21:20)ogs Wrote: @meeotch  unfortunately I do not think 'an "optical channel splitter" ' exists.

Optical splitters do exist but their description is misleading. They actually ‘split’ an input signal into two output signals, each containing the original stereo signal.

I use them in my system but I have setup Spark, via the Dialog, to create two rooms, each containing one Phantom. One room assigns a Phantom as left and the other room assigns a Phantom as right. Both Phantoms receive the same stereo signal via separate optical inputs but play only the assigned channel.
I don't know if optical splitters exist or not, but surely if some manufacturer wanted to do it it wouldn't be that hard; take the two channel signal, then output two signals (all optical receivers can do that!) each effectively mono, ie both channels the same (mono, the same in both channels), but in two (stereo) sets. Hope that makes some sort of sense! Easily done via firmware, surely. I don't know how much demand there would be apart from from Phantom owners. They could probably charge a fortune, though.
(25-Jan-2018, 23:07)meeotch Wrote: @ogs and anyone else interested:  customer support claims that they are sending me an optical splitter.  I told them I didn't think there was such an animal, and the rep said it definitely existed and she'd get back to me.  This should be interesting.

@meeotch I thought wiring ethernet was not an option in your case? I can´t wire up my Phantoms as it will destroy the ascetic  of my apartment..