Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical in only up to 96kHz
I had a problem with my D-Premier connecting to my Astell&Kern AK 120 via optical cable. Up to 96/24 both inputs worked but optical 1 also worked with 176/24. None worked with 192/24.
I just got my Devialet back from upgrade after waiting 6 weeks and now both optical inputs work only up to 96/24. I told Audioplus services who are responsible for the upgrade to make sure the optical inputs work when i initiated the upgrade.
I am using 2 different glass optical fiber cables of 0.6 and 1 m length.
Has anyone any experience with optical sources greater than 96/24 ( the maximum rate available on Apple products).
f1eng noticed this as well, see:

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Antoine-s...562#pid562
http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Upgrade-D...917#pid917
http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Frank-s-s...695#pid695

He asked Devialet to use an optical transceiver part that supports 192/24 before the upgrade.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I asked also Audioplus, the US distributor before the upgrade to make sure the input transceiver works at 192/24.
I had some more discussions with Audioplus and they had no idea why it does not work past 96/24. Is it the D250 input receiver, cable or source. Has anyone optical in working past 96/24? What source (most computers output optically only up to 96/24)?
My D-Premier worked on 24/192 files with my Astell and Kern 240. When my first unit updated to 240, as was then, came back it did not work with 24/192.
I put a query in to Devialet who at first said that only input 1 is capable of 24/192, but a few days later confirmed that the 240 is only specified to 24/96.
My second updated unit had a selected input module fitted, since it was actually at the factory when this fact was revealed, and -does- work to 24/192.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks for the reply. I guess service in Europe is much better (not only time wise) than in America. It seems that Audioplus does not know anything about that in spite of me requesting that it works at 192/24.
It doesn't surprise me.

Indeed, when I spoke to the upgrade manager in La Maison, he didn't know this optical issue… and I can understand that as it's not his field of expertise… As Audioplus I think… So, if Audioplus ask Thierry, he (or another engineer) will be able to give the proper information to format the optical to 24/192…
My recollection (Frank, f1eng, if he reads this will correct me if I am wrong) at the recent Devialet/Oxford Audio Consultant day was that Mathieu Pernod, their lead engineer, said that Devialet had decided to move from 24/192 to 24/96 because 24/192 had proved to be buggy, and not because 24/96 saved lots of money compared with 24/192.

I'm sure that Devialet will have checked whether doing this denied, or prospectively might deny, users access to a great deal of music encoded at 24/192 or presumably 24/176. As far as I can see Qobuz encodes at a maximum 24/96. HD Tracks does have offerings at 24/192 but, as far as I can see, always give you the 24/96 alternative.

In addition, is 24/192 a standard the industry might move to - which will happen only if it is financially viable, is supported by enough hardware and (hopefully but not necessarily) if it matters. There are lots of web articles suggesting that 24/192 is a waste of time and space, for example:
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So my take on it, at least at present, is to forget 24/192 unless you already have lots of music encoded that way.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I can hear more improvement by increasing the sample size to 24 bit than increased bit rate. Also I think that the recording and mastering process has a much more significant impact on sound quality than any digital format choice. But I have some 192/24 downloads and want to listen to them. Maybe I have to look for sample rate converter software?
(03-Aug-2014, 14:34)IanG-UK Wrote: My recollection (Frank, f1eng, if he reads this will correct me if I am wrong) at the recent Devialet/Oxford Audio Consultant day was that Mathieu Pernod, their lead engineer, said that Devialet had decided to move from 24/192 to 24/96 because 24/192 had proved to be buggy, and not because 24/96 saved lots of money compared with 24/192.

I'm sure that Devialet will have checked whether doing this denied, or prospectively might deny, users access to a great deal of music encoded at 24/192 or presumably 24/176. As far as I can see Qobuz encodes at a maximum 24/96. HD Tracks does have offerings at 24/192 but, as far as I can see, always give you the 24/96 alternative.

In addition, is 24/192 a standard the industry might move to - which will happen only if it is financially viable, is supported by enough hardware and (hopefully but not necessarily) if it matters. There are lots of web articles suggesting that 24/192 is a waste of time and space, for example:
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So my take on it, at least at present, is to forget 24/192 unless you already have lots of music encoded that way.

You make it sound as if Devialet doesn't support 24/192 but of course the coax inputs still accept that bit rate/sample freq.

BTW. Wikipedia learns me that Toslink was "Originally limited to 48 kHz at 20 bits. Extended to support all modern formats (Depending on manufacture and specification)". So Devialet probably did choose cheap and crappy transceivers, especially if and when it used to work in the D-Premier.

(03-Aug-2014, 17:31)Music or sound Wrote: <cut>
Maybe I have to look for sample rate converter software?

That, or buy a optical-coax adapter.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands