Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical input for 2 gold leaf?
Hi,

New to the forum and got my first two phantom gold leafs Smile Big Grin

My goal is to use optical cables (not WIFI). I was thinking of getting an amplifier with two optical outputs, so I can run a regular jack cable from my laptop to the amplifier. Has anyone got such a setup to work before? If so, what amplifier did you use?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions for how to get two phantoms linked up via optical cables?

Thanks,

Xrs
Welcome to the forum...

Firstly, to pair the Phantoms, you can use either wifi, Ethernet or PLC (Power Line Connection).  PLC uses the power chord and the easiest is to use a power board for both Phantoms.

You can then use 1 optical cable to either Phantom. 

When you say regular jack cable, are you referring to the speaker output from a laptop? If so, then you need to convert the analog signal to digital, which will likely reduce the sound quality.

Ideally, you should be using a digital output from your laptop.  There are HDMI to optical or USB to optical converters.

Having said all that, why not use wifi from laptop and use an Ethernet cable from the router to the Phantoms?  That is the easiest way and sound quality is still good.