Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dialog and 24 Phantoms
(21-Oct-2015, 14:09)andreas Wrote: Deviate claims that up to 24 phantoms can be used for multiple rooms layout when used with dialog... how is this going to be possible when it barely sees a phantom through a thin wall and even more tricky if phantom plugs in a different electrical loop than the rest of them.

Not that I ever will need to try since I'm perfectly happy with my 3 silvers and dialog... but anyway!

Andreas

Hi folks

Just been reading with bemusement your posts about this topic..

Devialet, like Sonos  will use a  secure, AES-encrypted, peer-to-peer wireless mesh network to connect to each other...

Dialog is just a router able to built the network for designated devices (phantoms) and the Ethernet connection is just to open the door to the outside world...

If you are in your network.. you can check the wifi connections in your house.. you will see several connections called "DialogNetwork"... You can't access that network.. because it is encrypted to be used by the same connection...

I have got three silvers at home with one solo upstairs and never had any issue connecting to the dialog located downstairs... (With thick wall between..)

Yes, it is true, it can connect to the number of device stated....

Hope the above helps
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(21-Oct-2015, 14:09)andreas Wrote: Deviate claims that up to 24 phantoms can be used for multiple rooms layout when used with dialog... how is this going to be possible when it barely sees a phantom through a thin wall and even more tricky if phantom plugs in a different electrical loop than the rest of them.

Not that I ever will need to try since I'm perfectly happy with my 3 silvers and dialog... but anyway!

Andreas

Phantoms also know how to use PLC (networking over Power Lines) so as long as they share the electricity connection to the nearest transformer, they should be able to connect, either via wired, wireless or PLC.

Whether it's easy to use and configure such a system is a different question, but if Dialog can sync them well, that should sound interesting Smile
Apparently there is a German restaurant that has 24 Phantoms.

Also, one of Devialet's tech support said that as more phantoms are added, the wifi becomes more robust as they actually connect to each other. Not sure if that is so.
(22-Dec-2015, 04:24)MountainGuy Wrote: Apparently there is a German restaurant that has 24 Phantoms.

Also, one of Devialet's tech support said that as more phantoms are added, the wifi becomes more robust as they actually connect to each other.  Not sure if that is so.

Which restaurant is it? Have the address by any chance?
(22-Oct-2015, 20:06)andreas Wrote:
(22-Oct-2015, 18:21)RobLnd Wrote:
(22-Oct-2015, 14:20)andreas Wrote: is ethernet connected just to the first phantom, feeded from dialog?

each phantom and the dialog connected to a router (directly or via switch). All Ethernet.

the phantoms talk to each other wirelessly via the dialog, is this overwritten if ethernet is used? And is there a real SQ gain with ethernet?

As as been confirmed elsewhere, there is no possibility of any difference in sound quality, wan, lan or otherwise.
(22-Dec-2015, 04:56)iliapas Wrote:
(22-Dec-2015, 04:24)MountainGuy Wrote: Apparently there is a German restaurant that has 24 Phantoms.

Also, one of Devialet's tech support said that as more phantoms are added, the wifi becomes more robust as they actually connect to each other.  Not sure if that is so.

Which restaurant is it? Have the address by any chance?

iliapas, here you go: 

l’esplanade in Saarbrücken, Germany. 

It's 22 phantoms, not 24.  My mistake - sorry.

Let us know if you visit and report back.  Phantoms are going to be implemented in conference rooms, hotels, restaurants etc.  Given their bass extension, dynamic range, and fidelity, I am actually guessing that the Phantoms may redefine high fidelity sound in these environments.   Many of these in a room may end up balance room nodes and such.  Quite intriguing to me.
(22-Oct-2015, 18:21)RobLnd Wrote: each phantom and the dialog connected to a router (directly or via switch). All Ethernet.

Do you get stereo that way or are all phantoms connected via Ethernet Mono ?
If I understand things correctly the Dialog checks the connection between itself and the Phantoms. Whether it does this only once or periodically I don't know. The software then chooses the best link to use, wireless, ethernet or via the mains cable and uses it.
I was told one problem with an early test bit of software was that it tested the 3 then chose the worst, this error apparently took some time to find. I don't know whether this error ever made it into a released firmware...
I have 3 Phantoms, two are in the same room as the Dialog, about 1m and 5m from it and these definitely work poorly unless plugged into an unfilteted outlet, though they are plugged into different wall sockets they work fine now.
I bought a third which we play in different rooms. It works fine too even when plugged into a socket on a different ring-main to the Dialog and out of wifi range.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(18-Jan-2016, 03:12)Syver Wrote:
(22-Oct-2015, 18:21)RobLnd Wrote: each phantom and the dialog connected to a router (directly or via switch). All Ethernet.

Do you get stereo that way or are all phantoms connected via Ethernet Mono ?

Whether it is stereo or mono is defined during the setup procedure in Spark. All the communication, toslink, wireless and ethernet can carry either stereo or mono, depending on the setup.
Presumably this will expand to 5.1 eventually.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Also, one of Devialet's tech support said that as more phantoms are added, the wifi becomes more robust as they actually connect to each other. Not sure if that is so.

I confirm there is a German restaurant, called "Esplanade", using 23 Phantoms (bathroom, cave, bar, conference rooms, kitchen and restaurant Wink

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk