Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimal sample rate and bit depths for Devialet Expert
Agreed - bits are not just bits and classical hifi design comes into it i.e. low noise design, linear power supplies etc...

I am also debating Auralitic vs something more expensive such as dCS Network bridge, but want to try a few things out first... hence these posts.
(18-Sep-2017, 14:47)stretchneck Wrote: The quality of the source material will make the most difference, after this probably your room acoustics (I am going to try room correction via convolution at some point, and would love bass traps, but struggle to integrate them into our family living room!), and then the type of input/streamer used.

I would 100 % recommend using convolution. At least it works very well on my room & system.

(18-Sep-2017, 14:47)stretchneck Wrote: What I have gleaned from the feedback is that when dealing with PCM it's probably best just to supply the Devialet at the PCM files native rate and let the Devialet do it's magic - for me this will be CD/Redbook 16/44.1.  So there would be no point in selecting your network streamer to upsample beyond the files native rate - is this correct?

If I remember correctly, the Devialet upsamples all inputs to 192 kHz. So you can do this upsampling already on your pc/mac/streamer or alternatively you can let Devialet to do it. The difference is quite small as others have already said.

(18-Sep-2017, 15:40)stretchneck Wrote: I am also debating Auralitic vs something more expensive such as dCS Network bridge, but want to try a few things out first... hence these posts.

Perhaps you could start with something simple first and something that doesn't require heavy investments? Like for example Roon. It has a free trial, sounds good, works nicely with Devialet, and you can run convolution and upsampling on it if needed.

Or perhaps you should wait for the Devialet streamer board before buying any expensive streamer?

I'm sure though that something like dCS would sound stunning with Devialet Smile
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
If the question's more about how to get the best sound, and you say your acoustic treatment options are limited (as is the case for many of us), then absolutely definitely setup room correction before thinking about upsampling tweaks. If your room has any issues the subtle differences with upsampling filters will most likely be masked anyway.

For many of us, DRC has been a revelation!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(18-Sep-2017, 22:04)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If the question's more about how to get the best sound, and you say your acoustic treatment options are limited (as is the case for many of us), then absolutely definitely setup room correction before thinking about upsampling tweaks. If your room has any issues the subtle differences with upsampling filters will most likely be masked anyway.

For many of us, DRC has been a revelation!

Hifi_swlon I think you're right - I have tried Dirac before (old system), but for some reason suffered with audio clicks and pops.  I'm trying to move away from using a PC and have a purpose made client/renderer.  I will probably try room correction again, but will be using a convolution file in HQPlayer or on an Auralic once DRC is available.
HiGi_swlon - how have you set up the bass traps behind your speakers? I did wonder if a small bass trap behind the speakers would help with the boundary interference.
Like many others opinion one have to try different options and listen carefully. The result depends on two aspects, you and how well the HiFi gear reproduce the music. We all see differently good so why should it be in another way with the hearing? It's possible to improve the analyze of sound, then one focus on the parts instead of the whole. Try to remember one or few aspects, change settings and compare. With Roon, great cabling, excellent speakers and a good hearing one can hear lots of tiny differences.
Tidal --> New brand streamer/dac/preamp --> InterM R500Plus monoblocks --> Intelligent Sound Double 12 --> fractal cables --> La Suède
Formal response from Devialet Customer support for peoples reference:

First please note that indeed we are only compatible with DSD64. It does not seem that we will include DSD128 in the foreseeable future.

As for quality of the format, we could not actually advise or praise a specific one.
Everybody has different impression even if on the paper someone might sell you the DSD as the best of the best.
My best advise to you is that you try and compare the ones you want to compare.
Spoil yourself with an afternoon of "musical benchmark" when you listen to a specific album in PCM then do the same thing using a HQ player.
You can even test some sample in DSD. I myself do not realise the difference between PCM and DSD, but some do.

My opinion is that, when a certain quality of format is reached, it will be harder to see the differences between the format.
As a clear exemple, you can listen to a song in mp3 vs CD quality, you totally hear the difference.

I hope i have answered your questions in a satisfactory fashion, and wish you a good day.
Further feedback:

HQ Player to upscale 44.1/16 CD quality source to 192/24 PCM or DSD64. Not much difference to my ears, and I probably wouldn't spend the money on this. Perhaps DSD64 was slightly smoother sounding, but I wouldn't bother upscaling 44.1/16 content. Better to see if you can get a copy of the album mastered at a higher bit rate in DSD most probable... as said by Jean-Marie earlier in this post, you can't make new information beyond what you already have. I do have some SACD files, so I might try those for comparison later.

Connection method seems to have a high impact - TOSlink sounded very poor, USB (I have a high end cable) and Ethernet via Devialet Air both sounded great.

Room Correction - quite a large difference, with stereo separation and removal of muddied bass when implemented. So this is worth bothering with! I used a demo copy of Audiolense with a UMIK-1, set the filter to 100Hz to 2,000Hz flat. Worked pretty well, if I went lower than 100Hz then I seemed to end up with less bass (?)...

Anyhow, I think this draws this topic to a close - it seems as though my next step is to wait with everyone else to see if the new Devialet OS includes room correction! Otherwise I'll look to get a streamer with some form of room correction (e..g Auralic will have this in the future). I'm after built-in room correction, as I ideally don't want faffing around with computers getting in the way of the music - also needs to be easy to use for the family.
If I remember the Devialet upsample everything in 24/192 correct ?
I use now RPI3 + Allodigione and was wondering if it is useful to Upsample the files in Picoreplayer Squeezelite ?
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(22-Sep-2017, 17:15)jfp Wrote: If I remember the Devialet upsample everything in 24/192 correct ?
I use now RPI3 + Allodigione and was wondering if it is useful to Upsample the files in Picoreplayer Squeezelite ?

PCM sources all leave the Dac as 192/24
DSM64 gets converted to PCM but higher rate.

As I’ve said, I’ve noticed no real difference - Devialet upsamples anyway prior to amplification.  Your mileage may vary though.