Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Optimization Options for streaming Music
Hi guys,

I was wondering about optimization options for my current streaming setup. The setup is as follows:
  1. FLAC files stored on NAS connected to gbit Switch via Ethernet cable
  2. Intel NUC connected to Gbit Switch running Roon headless
  3. Roon headless configured to use Exclusive Mode and Volume Control disabled
  4. Audioquest Cinnamon USB Cable connecting NUC with Devialet D200
  5. Nexus 9 Tablet running Roon Remote
  6. Tidal Hifi Subscription
Given the setup above, do you see any room for improvement? Cost should not be the driving factor rather:
Can be done to further improve SQ and maybe even usability.

Regards
Kian
(16-Feb-2016, 19:49)k1282 Wrote: Hi guys,

I was wondering about optimization options for my current streaming setup. The setup is as follows:
  1. FLAC files stored on NAS connected to gbit Switch via Ethernet cable
  2. Intel NUC connected to Gbit Switch running Roon headless
  3. Roon headless configured to use Exclusive Mode and Volume Control disabled
  4. Audioquest Cinnamon USB Cable connecting NUC with Devialet D200
  5. Nexus 9 Tablet running Roon Remote
  6. Tidal Hifi Subscription
Given the setup above, do you see any room for improvement? Cost should not be the driving factor rather:
Can be done to further improve SQ and maybe even usability.

Regards
Kian

Isolating the Nuc from the Dev will most likely help according to a lot of people that have gone down the network audio adapter (NAA) route. Since you use Roon, a SonicOrbiter off the shelf, or better yet and wait and see what DIY solutions Roon bring out (due very soon).

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

What do you mean by isolating the NUC from the Dev exactly?

Buying something like the Auralic Aries Series? The SonicOrbiter should be the same right?

I how far does it help to put something between the NUC and the D200? Isn't it a superfluous interruption of the dataflow to the D200 or doesn't it matter with digital content?

ANd what das the SonicOrbiter do exactly? It is not running the Roon Software, be it headless or as Remote, it only processes the signal and forwards it to the D200, correct?
I'm totally in to go for the AIR / Apple solution;
- make sure you have acces to a broadband connection with enough speed and reliability
- use Apple stuff to create the network out of your router (airport express / time capsule)
- extend this network placing an express next to the Devialet
- configure all as on their website
- have air running on your macbook

Use Tidal / iTunes or any other player for streaming.....
(18-Feb-2016, 11:10)k1282 Wrote: What do you mean by isolating the NUC from the Dev exactly?

Buying something like the Auralic Aries Series? The SonicOrbiter should be the same right?

I how far does it help to put something between the NUC and the D200? Isn't it a superfluous interruption of the dataflow to the D200 or doesn't it matter with digital content?

And what das the SonicOrbiter do exactly? It is not running the Roon Software, be it headless or as Remote, it only processes the signal and forwards it to the D200, correct?

Generally speaking, especially more recently, it's considered a bonus rather than a hinderance to have a 'lightweight'/low RFI ethernet type renderer as the final link to your DAC - since it carries over less noise. So Sonic Orbiter, Aries, Cubox, various DIY solutions coming forwards - are all the same idea at different levels of expense and with different mission profiles. Since you use Roon it narrows it down as you don't need a custom control Ap, therefore might as well go Sonic Oribter or upcoming DIY solutions. There is probably still some noise and its most likely down to power supply, NAA hardware itself, and how minimal and efficient the OS is, among other things….

Of course, one step better would be to have nothing in-between and use the Devialet as an NAA as it was intended, using AIR - if you can get it to work reliably.

It's definitely worth trying - but ignore anyone suggesting that you 'simply do X,Y and Z' and AIR will work for you! Trust those that have been around for longer, and have a better understanding of the reality of AIR in the real world…. It may work - but I wouldn't buy hardware specifically for it, and as soon as you hit pops/crackles/dropouts/bluescreen/whitenoise or whatever, call it experiment over, and move on to a better solution designed by manufacturers that know what they're doing - as mentioned above.

Bear in mind that Using Roon and AIR may cause some issues, but since Devialet aren't very helpful to vendors (especially ones they think are rivals apparently), so the Roon guys have limited options to bug fix anything.

Yes, the Sonic Orbiter (in Roon mode) essentially just acts as an NIC and passes the data onto the Devialet (there's a bit more to it), and in theory in the cleanest way possible - at least from that hardware. Fair amount of discussion about it over at the Roon forums.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(18-Feb-2016, 13:53)Xander Wrote: I'm totally in to go for the AIR / Apple solution;
- make sure you have acces to a broadband connection with enough speed and reliability
- use Apple stuff to create the network out of your router (airport express / time capsule)

That's exactly my setup beside I am using Qobuz instead of Tidal and it also streams perfectly with iTunes and Air. Just easy, no special set-up required.
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
(18-Feb-2016, 19:29)blair.athol Wrote:
(18-Feb-2016, 13:53)Xander Wrote: I'm totally in to go for the AIR / Apple solution;

That's exactly my setup beside I am using Qobuz instead of Tidal and it also streams perfectly with iTunes and Air. Just easy, no special set-up required.

Well that's it then - sounds like the AIR problem has been cracked! If it works for you two, it must mean everyone else with issues is doing something wrong. Wink

:-)

Happy to help to get yours running...

Have you tried it in setup as above?
(18-Feb-2016, 19:36)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(18-Feb-2016, 19:29)blair.athol Wrote:

Well that's it then - sounds like the AIR problem has been cracked! If it works for you two, it must mean everyone else with issues is doing something wrong. Wink

That is certainly no solution for me as I hate, really hate, apple and its products. And I won't start letting apple products into my home Wink

ALso using laptops for controlling music is a no go for me.
But I do think Air was always ment to run on Windows or Mac... You can hate Apple, but 2 AirPort extremes can do the trick for you.... Max 180 euro's to get it working....