Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Output current of OdA or 1000Pro
Ok I found out the peak current : 45A, even higher than the MBL amps!!! So it is Devialet’s cup of tea.
(29-Nov-2017, 21:56)PeppaPig Wrote: Ok I found out the peak current : 45A, even higher than the MBL amps!!! So it is Devialet’s cup of tea.

Good luck !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(29-Nov-2017, 21:56)PeppaPig Wrote: Ok I found out the peak current : 45A, even higher than the MBL amps!!! So it is Devialet’s cup of tea.

Interesting!  Can I asked how you got this information?  Is this per channel for a 1000Pro?

Edit:  I am currently (pun intended) thinking of subtle ways of making Devialet’s software team work harder on the OS board software, by means of careful application of a 1000Pro’s peak power output to carefully selected ‘soft parts’. Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(29-Nov-2017, 22:18)Confused Wrote: Edit:  I am currently (pun intended) thinking of subtle ways of making Devialet’s software team work harder on the OS board software, by means of careful application of a 1000Pro’s peak power output to carefully selected ‘soft parts’. Sad

Blush ... that's a neat one !!  'soft parts' ??   Wink
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(29-Nov-2017, 22:18)Confused Wrote:

Interesting!  Can I asked how you got this information?  Is this per channel for a 1000Pro?

Edit:  I am currently (pun intended) thinking of subtle ways of making Devialet’s software team work harder on the OS board software, by means of careful application of a 1000Pro’s peak power output to carefully selected ‘soft parts’.

I got that information from Devialet’s Engineer team. The Devialet’s Peak Current output is 45A, peak watt is 4000watt.

I heard OdA driving a 101E MK2, it drives it without any issue, but I didn’t compare it with MBL amps, so I don’t know the difference, however with OdA connected, 101E sounds impressive to me. I never hear a speaker as good as that, Kills any other speakers I ever heard, Easy, far better.

I don’t understand your Edit part, what is the soft part means?
(30-Nov-2017, 12:24)PeppaPig Wrote: I don’t understand your Edit part, what is the soft part means?

Ah, awkward.... Angel

OK, to explain in plain language.  The 'soft parts' refer to two particularly delicate parts that a Devialet software engineer might have (making an assumption that he is male) that could be 'energised' with occasional high levels of current in order to motivate him to work faster on the OS Board software.  In order to calculate exactly how this will work, I need to establish the resistance of a human testicle as measured in ohms.  I know that Devialet amps do not work to well at very low resistances, so I need to make sure this will not go horribly wrong. Angry  4000w peak should do it though....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-Nov-2017, 13:21)Confused Wrote:
(30-Nov-2017, 12:24)PeppaPig Wrote: I don’t understand your Edit part, what is the soft part means?

Ah, awkward.... Angel

OK, to explain in plain language.  The 'soft parts' refer to two particularly delicate parts that a Devialet software engineer might have (making an assumption that he is male) that could be 'energised' with occasional high levels of current in order to motivate him to work faster on the OS Board software.  In order to calculate exactly how this will work, I need to establish the resistance of a human testicle as measured in ohms.  I know that Devialet amps do not work to well at very low resistances, so I need to make sure this will not go horribly wrong. Angry  4000w peak should do it though....

I still don't know what you try to say.

4000W is only peak output which doesn't make much sense, same as the MBL amp's 35A peak current output, they are the same thing: Peak.

I personally heard 101E MK II connected to OdA, which is a relatively low resistance speaker, and high current demand, during the listening session I don't see any problem and sounds very good. But I am seeking an official answer from Devialet.

They just replied me today said the 1000 PRO is even more powerfull than the Oda (before the free upgrade) in terms of output power, after the upgrade, OdA will be same as 1000 PRO. so I believe my concern is solved now.
(01-Dec-2017, 00:17)PeppaPig Wrote:
(30-Nov-2017, 13:21)Confused Wrote:

Ah, awkward.... Angel

4000W is only peak output which doesn't make much sense, same as the MBL amp's 35A peak current output, they are the same thing: Peak.

I personally heard 101E MK II connected to OdA, which is a relatively low resistance speaker, and high current demand, during the listening session I don't see any problem and sounds very good. But I am seeking an official answer from Devialet.

They just replied me today said the 1000 PRO is even more powerfull than the Oda (before the free upgrade) in terms of output power, after the upgrade, OdA will be same as 1000 PRO. so I believe my concern is solved now.

@PeppaPig - There is no need to worry about my 'soft part' references.  Frankly, these comments were off topic and not relevant to your question of using Devialet amplification for powering MBL speakers.  So I apologise for detracting from what is a sensible topic with ill advised humour.

With my apology stated, I do have some on topic thoughts.  One thing that has always impressed me about Devialet is the vast range of speakers with which Devialet amplification appears to work well.  Just spend some time browsing this forum and you will find happy Devialet owners with speakers of shapes, sizes and types.  However, there have been one or two rare exceptions.  Typically, these have been electrostatic speakers, and the key point here is that they have been speakers with severe dips in the impedance curve to vey low ohm numbers.  So the issue may not be raw power or current related as such, but dips in the impedance curve, in particular to resistances of less than 1 ohm.  This is something that Devialet amps do not like.

I have attached some links to threads that cover this issue:

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...s#pid39136

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...ht=sanders

As for the various speakers in the MBL range, this give impedance details for the MBL 101E & 111B, on paper this looks fine for a Devialet amp:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mbl-...asurements

This states that the 116F 'only dips to 4 ohms at high frequencies':

http://hifipig.com/mbl-116f-radialstrahler/

Note, I could not find any firm data for the 111F.  Maybe you could send a query to the manufacturer asking for the impedance curves?  

So, there is an issue with Devialet's and low impedance speakers, but based on the MBL specifications I can see on paper, I think you should be fine.  I emphasis that this is 'on paper', and hence in theory, there is no substitute for an actual demonstration, of course.

Good luck!
My memory is they implied that the pro range was improved into very low impedances than before.

I've always thought that the pre-pro range could be slightly fussy with the odd speaker, but I don't think the traditional view of difficult to drive was a good indicator of which speakers they would be.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(01-Dec-2017, 08:42)Confused Wrote:
(01-Dec-2017, 00:17)PeppaPig Wrote:
(30-Nov-2017, 13:21)Confused Wrote: Ah, awkward.... Angel

@PeppaPig - There is no need to worry about my 'soft part' references.  Frankly, these comments were off topic and not relevant to your question of using Devialet amplification for powering MBL speakers.  So I apologise for detracting from what is a sensible topic with ill advised humour.

With my apology stated, I do have some on topic thoughts.  One thing that has always impressed me about Devialet is the vast range of speakers with which Devialet amplification appears to work well.  Just spend some time browsing this forum and you will find happy Devialet owners with speakers of shapes, sizes and types.  However, there have been one or two rare exceptions.  Typically, these have been electrostatic speakers, and the key point here is that they have been speakers with severe dips in the impedance curve to vey low ohm numbers.  So the issue may not be raw power or current related as such, but dips in the impedance curve, in particular to resistances of less than 1 ohm.  This is something that Devialet amps do not like.

I have attached some links to threads that cover this issue:

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...s#pid39136

As for the various speakers in the MBL range, this give impedance details for the MBL 101E & 111B, on paper this looks fine for a Devialet amp:

This states that the 116F 'only dips to 4 ohms at high frequencies':

http://hifipig.com/mbl-116f-radialstrahler/

Note, I could not find any firm data for the 111F.  Maybe you could send a query to the manufacturer asking for the impedance curves?  

So, there is an issue with Devialet's and low impedance speakers, but based on the MBL specifications I can see on paper, I think you should be fine.  I emphasis that this is 'on paper', and hence in theory, there is no substitute for an actual demonstration, of course.

Good luck!

That’s ok, English is not my first language so I easily get confused.

I think the Devialet can drive the 111F but how good it can drive it is a question, there is no information can be found on internet.

MBL N51 is about $20k, only 380watt per channel, which means need to get two of them to drive 111F, that’s over my budget so I prefer to keep the OdA.