Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outstanding sound
I was skeptical after my dismal experience with Gemini I and its initial connectivity issues when they were first released. I sent them back after 4 days and vowed never again. Now I own the gamut of Devialet devices-two Phantom Golds, a Dione, and a Mania. And they are mostly outstanding with regards to the quality of sound. The Dione can stand a bit of improvement. So when I saw the release of the Gemini II, my initial reaction was to avoid, based on my poor experience with Gemini I. I have also been very loyal to Apple’s AirPods Pro 2 and Max. What could possibly top those? In the end, my curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the Gemini II. I’m glad I did. Hands down, it blows away other in ear and in ear devices with regards to the depth, layered, and richness of the sound. These are for listening to music. A treat and break from the good sounding, but flat Apple AirPods. Now, there is no spatial audio in the Gemini II. But the sound is so far superior to my ears that I don’t even miss it. In fact, the thought crossed my mind that it’s cool to turn your head and the music turns as well with AirPods. But in comparison, it comes off as a gimmick. A way to, perhaps, mask the flatness. The AirPods have great sound. And I admire the technology in them, and Apple in general. But the Gemini II are in a class of their own. Pricey. But a treat to the ears. Brings an involuntary smile to my face when I listen to music with them. Devialet, you are now forgiven for the Gemini I. Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(21-Sep-2023, 08:03)Bobbybina Wrote: I was skeptical after my dismal experience with Gemini I and its initial connectivity issues when they were first released. I sent them back after 4 days and vowed never again. Now I own the gamut of Devialet devices-two Phantom Golds, a Dione, and a Mania. And they are mostly outstanding with regards to the quality of sound. The Dione can stand a bit of improvement. So when I saw the release of the Gemini II, my initial reaction was to avoid, based on my poor experience with Gemini I. I have also been very loyal to Apple’s AirPods Pro 2 and Max. What could possibly top those?  In the end, my curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the Gemini II. I’m glad I did. Hands down, it blows away other in ear and in ear devices with regards to the depth, layered, and richness of the sound. These are for listening to music. A treat and break from the good sounding, but flat Apple AirPods. Now, there is no spatial audio in the Gemini II. But the sound is so far superior to my ears that I don’t even miss it. In fact, the thought crossed my mind that it’s cool to turn your head and the music turns as well with AirPods. But in comparison, it comes off as a gimmick. A way to, perhaps, mask the flatness. The AirPods have great sound. And I admire the technology in them, and Apple in general. But the Gemini II are in a class of their own. Pricey. But a treat to the ears. Brings an involuntary smile to my face when I listen to music with them. Devialet, you are now forgiven for the Gemini I. Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a bit of an A/B test with Gem 1 and Gem 2. The Gemini 2's are much superior, and without a doubt the best earbuds I've tried. They make the Airpods sound very ordinary. I'm finding that they are easy to use in the real world too - quick connection, reliable and excellent ANC. For anyone who's sitting on the fence - I would say go for it.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I'll chime in and concur totally.  I have two pairs of Gen 1's because, well, the sound is great but the battery is decidedly not and to be able to have extended coverage I had to rotate between the two.

I sat down with my Gen 2 OdP's for the first time today and with Roon and 24/96 tracks the step forward in sound quality is not incremental.  Plus, an hour into listening both right and left earbuds are at 76%--with Gen 1's it was 58% Left, 23% Right.  And I can connect to my phone and laptop at the same time!!!

I have loved the Gen 1's.  It now seems to me that they were the beta product, and Devialet finally got everything right with the Gen 2's.
Goldmund Studietto/SME Series V & Lifetime Roon-->Expert Pro 220-->Triangle Signature Alpha's
Expert Pro 140 --> Vienna Acoustics Schonberg's
I agree the sound is incredible and so is the ANC

Do you also have the headphones at 90% battery in the morning when you open the case?
A positive review from Flossy Carter. He confirms your impressions on sound quality. However, call quality appears to be subpar. What are your experiences?

(22-Sep-2023, 20:52)Rexie Wrote: I'll chime in and concur totally.  I have two pairs of Gen 1's because, well, the sound is great but the battery is decidedly not and to be able to have extended coverage I had to rotate between the two.

I sat down with my Gen 2 OdP's for the first time today and with Roon and 24/96 tracks the step forward in sound quality is not incremental.  Plus, an hour into listening both right and left earbuds are at 76%--with Gen 1's it was 58% Left, 23% Right.  And I can connect to my phone and laptop at the same time!!!

I have loved the Gen 1's.  It now seems to me that they were the beta product, and Devialet finally got everything right with the Gen 2's.
24/96 over Bluetooth? Surely what you’re hearing is the mastering and not the sample rate.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Has anyone stacked these up sound wise against the Sony WF-1000XM5 wireless earbuds? I’ve recently upgraded to the 5s from the 4s and still have a pair of 3s.

The sound quality has improved with each model, with the change between 4s-5s being the greatest.
Battery life has improved although the earbuds and case are smaller. After one hours listening, without ANC or Ambient modes engaged, both earbuds are at 92%. Sony claim 8 hours use per charge. 

The ANC on the 5s is not as good as it is on the 4s but as I don’t use ANC often, it’s not a dealbreaker for me. Also the fit of the 5s is so good that the majority of external sounds are inaudible.

Gemini’s 4 hours of battery life seems a bit paltry. Is this with ANC/Ambient engaged?

How do the Geminis fit? The Sonys kind of screw in with a quarter twist and are so small and light that they never fall out.

Would you spend £100 more for half the battery life? Maybe: if you only listened for a couple of hours at a time and the sound quality and fit was better. So might I.

The sound of the XM5s is, to my ears, about as good as it gets. So close to my HD800s that, for the sake of convenience, it’s the 5s most of the time.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who’s tried both brands.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(03-Oct-2023, 10:13)Axel Wrote: Has anyone stacked these up sound wise against the Sony WF-1000XM5 wireless earbuds? I’ve recently upgraded to the 5s from the 4s and still have a pair of 3s.

The sound quality has improved with each model, with the change between 4s-5s being the greatest.
Battery life has improved although the earbuds and case are smaller. After one hours listening, without ANC or Ambient modes engaged, both earbuds are at 92%. Sony claim 8 hours use per charge. 

The ANC on the 5s is not as good as it is on the 4s but as I don’t use ANC often, it’s not a dealbreaker for me. Also the fit of the 5s is so good that the majority of external sounds are inaudible.

Gemini’s 4 hours of battery life seems a bit paltry. Is this with ANC/Ambient engaged?

How do the Geminis fit? The Sonys kind of screw in with a quarter twist and are so small and light that they never fall out.

Would you spend £100 more for half the battery life? Maybe: if you only listened for a couple of hours at a time and the sound quality and fit was better. So might I.

The sound of the XM5s is, to my ears, about as good as it gets. So close to my HD800s that, for the sake of convenience, it’s the 5s most of the time.

I didn't buy the Sony so yes I prefer the Devialet because I love the Devialet sound. It is unique, the bass, the medium, the treble. You like it or you don't like it, you have to try it.
The problem with Sony, reliability, foam tips, I hate, internal pressure anc active
The battery life of 5 hours is enough, 30 minutes in the box and it's recharged
(03-Oct-2023, 14:55)Ounerbouks Wrote:
(03-Oct-2023, 10:13)Axel Wrote: Has anyone stacked these up sound wise against the Sony WF-1000XM5 wireless earbuds? I’ve recently upgraded to the 5s from the 4s and still have a pair of 3s.

I didn't buy the Sony so yes I prefer the Devialet because I love the Devialet sound. It is unique, the bass, the medium, the treble. You like it or you don't like it, you have to try it.
The problem with Sony, reliability, foam tips, I hate, internal pressure anc active
I’ve never had any reliability issues with my 3 pairs of Sony earbuds. The 5s come with better tips than the earlier versions, they have a mesh attached and are more compliant than before giving a better fit and more noise isolation. When you say internal pressure, what do you mean? I’ve never experienced any feeling of too much pressure on my eardrum. As I mentioned, the 5s seal much better than the earlier versions. The 5s would be the most likely to “over pressure” my eardrums but they don’t. 
I don’t understand what you mean by "anc active"
5 hours battery life would be enough for me. How long does it take to recharge the box and can you please tell me how many charges you get from the box, roughly?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(04-Oct-2023, 09:39)Axel Wrote:
(03-Oct-2023, 14:55)Ounerbouks Wrote:

I’ve never had any reliability issues with my 3 pairs of Sony earbuds. The 5s come with better tips than the earlier versions, they have a mesh attached and are more compliant than before giving a better fit and more noise isolation. When you say internal pressure, what do you mean? I’ve never experienced any feeling of too much pressure on my eardrum. As I mentioned, the 5s seal much better than the earlier versions. The 5s would be the most likely to “over pressure” my eardrums but they don’t. 
I don’t understand what you mean by "anc active"
5 hours battery life would be enough for me. How long does it take to recharge the box and can you please tell me how many charges you get from the box, roughly?

Devilalet, like Apple, has implemented vents to avoid having too much pressure in the ear. I am very sensitive to this, and Sony or Bose are unbearable for me