Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass-Through Configuration on Devialet?
(02-May-2015, 07:46)Confused Wrote:
(01-May-2015, 21:03)f1eng Wrote:
(27-Apr-2015, 03:16)MusicFirst Wrote:
(26-Apr-2015, 22:32)Antoine Wrote: Only volume control can be bypassed.

It's too bad that one cannot bypass the ADC/DAC circuits to access the amplifier inputs directly, especially since DAC development is so rapid at virtually all price points. Sad  It will be only a matter of time before the DAC implementations in the Devialet are bettered at an attractive price....

Whilst you may be correct on price, and I know a lot of hifi fans do not hold this view, in my experience the well engineered ADCs and DACs are already audibly transparent. Using my Metric Halo recorder there is no difference at all between the microphone feed and the output of the ADC/DAC on the sort of music I record.
This has been the case for quite some time too.
There are certainly commercially available DACs which sound different but that is because the designer has designed in some colouration of his liking, and it is no longer transparent.
Some may like this, but it doesn't effect the fact that the Devialet uses its ADC/DAC in an audibly transparent layout.
In fact the character/colouration of the non-transparent DACs I have tried into the analogue inputs of the Devialet comes through unaltered.

The one conclusion I can reach is that I am very glad to have gone the Devialet route, if only because it renders even the thought of highly expensive DAC utterly pointless.  (the same applies to expensive phono stages too)  Thus allowing me to enjoy the music without niggling thoughts about emptying my bank account of many £1000's for a few more silicon chips in a box that might improve SQ just a touch.

Well you could still use a highly coloured DAC like a Lampizator or Audio Note UK into an analogue input. The ADC/DAC in the Devialet is audibly so transparent that all the expensive colour will be reproduced faithfully Smile
Same could be said of the more eccentrically engineered phono stages. Probably (have only tried one).
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(07-May-2015, 12:05)exiled Wrote: AIR over wifi and even Ethernet is still spotty. Over Ethernet it will play for a while and then lose sync and emit nasty white noise. So I'm still using USB now.
Did you inform Devialet?
Lots of people have had this.
Luckily for me I have no such problems at all...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Not yet.
(07-May-2015, 12:05)exiled Wrote: AIR over wifi and even Ethernet is still spotty. Over Ethernet it will play for a while and then lose sync and emit nasty white noise. So I'm still using USB now.

Air runs really good at my end over hours of enjoyoing great music!
I am only experiencing very sparse dropouts when playing 24 bit/192 khz files on wifi and this is related to my network more than to the D200.
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany