Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passive vertical bi-amping with 440 Pro
I have been reading about the virtues of passive vertical bi-amping with a pair of stereo amplifiers.

Any one here tried vertical bi-amping with a 440 or a 1000 Pro?

I just checked the configurator and it’s possible to set it up so the amplifiers are no longer in bridged mode, each amplifier only serves one channel/speaker, as in dual mono, but each half of the amp serves the LF and HF sides of the crossover respectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
Can you point me to some links that make a good case for biamping over bridging, last time I looked I never found any compelling arguments to try it, but I was just thinking yesterday that it would be interesting to try.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I am bi-amping using 2 x 440-Pro-CI. I started off with a D400 that became a 440-Pro-CI. I later bought 2 x 220-Pro Companion units .. They're setup using the configurator as 440-Pro monos x 4.

[img][Image: Screen-Shot-2019-02-18-at-10-40-52-PM.png][/img]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(18-Feb-2019, 23:47)Soniclife Wrote: Can you point me to some links that make a good case for biamping over bridging, last time I looked I never found any compelling arguments to try it, but I was just thinking yesterday that it would be interesting to try.

http://av2day.com/2014/05/vertical-bi-am...m-experts/
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(19-Feb-2019, 10:15)disarmamant Wrote:
(18-Feb-2019, 23:47)Soniclife Wrote: Can you point me to some links that make a good case for biamping over bridging, last time I looked I never found any compelling arguments to try it, but I was just thinking yesterday that it would be interesting to try.

http://av2day.com/2014/05/vertical-bi-am...m-experts/

There is not much in that link discussing the difference between bi amping and bridging, only really the following bit..

"The result is an effective increase in the headroom that is greater than would be obtained by simply using a single amplifier of twice the power. In other words, a 40-watt per channel stereo amplifier will out perform, in a bi-amp configuration, an 80-watt mono amplifier driving all the drivers together."

It's not explained why this is, and I think it's wrong, but I'm no expert.
I do biamp and active crossover to JBL 4345 with two 250 CI Pro. This removes passive bass crossover totally and passive high pass crossover for mid. Huge improvement in sound quality.
This evening I have just got it working.
No SAM.
Sure sounds nice.

Good to know. I'll be very interested in a report many records later.
(19-Feb-2019, 20:25)disarmamant Wrote: This evening I have just got it working.
No SAM.
Sure sounds nice.

Please can you post a picture of your Configurator setup as @audio_engr has done in post#3?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(20-Feb-2019, 04:55)Axel Wrote:
(19-Feb-2019, 20:25)disarmamant Wrote: This evening I have just got it working.
No SAM.
Sure sounds nice.

Please can you post a picture of your Configurator setup as @audio_engr has done in post#3?

Sorry, I'm not sure how to do that. But the configuration is simple.

In the configurator switch speakers from 'Mono' to 'Stereo' for both amplifiers, then click on the 'speakers' tab to open the edit box. un-tick 'Linked' and then select Left for both outputs on the Master and select Right for both outputs on the companion.