Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passive vertical bi-amping with 440 Pro
(20-Feb-2019, 13:49)disarmamant Wrote:
(20-Feb-2019, 04:55)Axel Wrote:
(19-Feb-2019, 20:25)disarmamant Wrote: This evening I have just got it working.
No SAM.
Sure sounds nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please can you post a picture of your Configurator setup as @audio_engr has done in post#3?

Sorry, I'm not sure how to do that. But the configuration is simple.

In the configurator switch speakers from 'Mono' to 'Stereo' for both amplifiers, then click on the 'speakers' tab to open the edit box. un-tick 'Linked' and then select Left for both outputs on the Master and select Right for both outputs on the companion.

Thanks. I might give it a try.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(20-Feb-2019, 20:32)Axel Wrote: Thanks. I might give it a try.

I’d be interested to hear how you find find it.

In my opinion it works well, the difference is quite subtle, but I notice a little more precision in the placement of performers in the sound stage, and in the timbre of instruments, which I was not expecting.

Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
Are you folks who bi-amp (or multi-amp) using the Devialet high-pass and low-pass filters or sending a full-range signal to both terminals of your speakers and letting the speaker crossover do that work? I don't understand the technicalities as well as I could, but it would seem more effective to filter before sending the signal.
(21-Feb-2019, 16:14)deviousalet Wrote: Are you folks who bi-amp (or multi-amp) using the Devialet high-pass and low-pass filters or sending a full-range signal to both terminals of your speakers and letting the speaker crossover do that work? I don't understand the technicalities as well as I could, but it would seem more effective to filter before sending the signal.

If you have passive speakers (like most people with Devialets) you should not be doing the crossover in the amps, but leave the speaker to do it. If you have removed the passive crossover from the speakers then you need to do it in the amps. Technically it's better to remove the crossover and do the crossover digitally, if you want to modify your speakers and know what you are doing.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(20-Feb-2019, 22:30)disarmamant Wrote: In my opinion it works well, the difference is quite subtle, but I notice a little more precision in the placement of performers in the sound stage, and in the timbre of instruments, which I was not expecting.

Have you noticed any change in headroom or volume settings.  I run my 440 close to 0 vol sometimes and would be interested if I would gain or lose going to bi amp mode, however it it simply sounds better that would win.
(21-Feb-2019, 16:59)Soniclife Wrote:
(21-Feb-2019, 16:14)deviousalet Wrote: Are you folks who bi-amp (or multi-amp) using the Devialet high-pass and low-pass filters or sending a full-range signal to both terminals of your speakers and letting the speaker crossover do that work? I don't understand the technicalities as well as I could, but it would seem more effective to filter before sending the signal.

If you have passive speakers (like most people with Devialets) you should not be doing the crossover in the amps, but leave the speaker to do it.  If you have removed the passive crossover from the speakers then you need to do it in the amps.  Technically it's better to remove the crossover and do the crossover digitally, if you want to modify your speakers and know what you are doing.
If I were in that case, I would try to use digital filtering to avoid dissipating unnecessary power in the analog filter. 

Let’s assume that the crossover frequency is 3000Hz, I would set up the Lows Amp with a low pass cut at 6000 and the High Amp with a high pass cut at 1500Hz. 

The idea being to avoid stacking the slopes of the digital cross over with those of the passive cross over, hence the one octave shift, but still would avoid sending all the bass energy to the highs for the only result to be transformed into heat....

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
The problem with those numbers is you will modify the speakers response. If I look at my speakers you can see output from both drivers for quite a long way above and below the crossover point.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/sonu...asurements

You can get clever with this, and use EQ to fix the small dip you create, but you will need to measure and know what you are getting into.

Running each driver full range won't use any real power out of band, as the impedance goes really high, so the amp sets the voltage, but almost no current flows. As I understand it.
(21-Feb-2019, 19:48)MSoniclife Wrote: The problem with those numbers is you will modify the speakers response. If I look at my speakers you can see output from both drivers for quite a long way above and below the crossover point.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/sonu...asurements

You can get clever with this, and use EQ to fix the small dip you create, but you will need to measure and know what you are getting into.

Running each driver full range won't use any real power out of band, as the impedance goes really high, so the amp sets the voltage, but almost no current flows.  As I understand it.

You are right. 

Over-engineering something can be worse than the straight forward solution!

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(21-Feb-2019, 17:04)Soniclife Wrote: [quote='disarmamant' pid='82533' dateline='1550698245']
Have you noticed any change in headroom or volume settings.  I run my 440 close to 0 vol sometimes and would be interested if I would gain or lose going to bi amp mode, however it it simply sounds better that would win.

I have not noticed any change in volume or headroom. However I never listen anywhere near 0db, I guess the nearest I get is about -12 and that’s loud!

Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
The highest I have done with 4 x 440-Pro is -2dB. It was a master file with very low recording levels. Normally, my listening levels are -23dB to -12dB.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US