Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 1: Trouble getting bluetooth audio to work with Roku Ultra with App
How does one connect a Phantom 1 to play audio with Roku Ultra since now the current model Roku Ultra 2022 no longer has optical port? 

I searched everywhere and it seems those that have the older Roku Ultra 4640X connected optical cable to the Phantom 1 to get audio feed. 

Since most of my TV/Film viewing is through my Roku Ultra device, I was hoping having a pair of Phantom 1's as a stereo set up would bypass the hassle of having an A/V Receiver.

If anyone can offer any assistance that does not require me having to purchase some bulky device to connect with it since I have limited space in my setup, that would be best.
Maybe you can use the Airplay? or BT depending on which generation of phantom model you have and if the ROKU does BT.

in theory- use the Devialet app to enable BT (or AirPlay), then on the ROKU device UX/settings do something to find or pair with the phantom (after you have put the phantom into the desired mode, using the devialet app)

I am not a fan of wireless audio so have a bias.
personally in this situation think i would look for an HDMI Audio Extractor to feed the Arch (or Dialog) if i were forced to rely or swap the ULTRA for something that does have SPDIF.
anything to avoid relying on WIRELESS audio path is the route i would go.
(10-Aug-2023, 01:14)scotthar Wrote: Maybe you can use the Airplay?  or BT depending on which generation of phantom model you have and if the ROKU does BT.

in theory- use the Devialet app to enable BT (or AirPlay), then on the ROKU device UX/settings do something to find or pair with the phantom (after you have put the phantom into the desired mode, using the devialet app)

I am not a fan of wireless audio so have a bias.
personally in this situation think i would look for an HDMI Audio Extractor to feed the Arch (or Dialog) if i were forced to rely  or swap the ULTRA for something that does have SPDIF.
anything to avoid relying on WIRELESS audio path is the route i would go.

I was counting on using Bluetooth by connecting the Matte Black Phantom 1 (not Phantom Premier) to the Roku App thru my iPhone by selecting it on the app as a private listening via headphone since Airplay is not compatible with Roku app. 

The Roku app can allow you to connect to any portable/mobile bluetooth speaker like those IP67 rated/waterproof speakers or head phones/ear buds from your iPhone device. So I would assume the same scenario can apply the same to the Phantom 1.

As of right now, my HDMI cable is going directly from my TV to my Roku Ultra 2022 and the Phantom 1 is just placed next to it because I was planning on plugging in the optical audio input (TOS Link) directly from the back of the TV to the Phantom 1. However, when watching any shows via Roku Ultra, no audio is coming out but the equalizer shows that audio is playing but no actual sound is coming out. 

That is the current status of my audio playback issue.    

Swapping out of Ultra is not an option since all of my streaming service's subscription relies on it. I will try the Audio Extractor and Devialet's Dialog as an option. Appreciate you responding to my quiry.
Studio: Devialet Matte Black Phantom 1, AudioQuest Forest Optical TOSlink Cables
Living: Wilson Audio MAXX Speakers Series 3
Family: Bowers & Wilkins XT8, XT4, XT2, XTC, PV1, McIntosh MX123 AVR
Bedroom: Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo, Wedge Silver, PV1D
Dining: Naim Mu-So 2nd Gen, Qb V2   
Powder Room: Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Wireless (Silver)
On the TV make sure the optical output is set to PCM. Otherwise you may not get sound from the TV's optical output.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante