Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 1 Wifi vs Ethernet?
(09-Oct-2021, 11:26)Snoopy8 Wrote: It is up to you to decide whether this area is worth exploring.  If you decide this is not for you, please continue to respect others...

I think there is some confusion here. Surely I respect all opinions. The OP clearly stated that WiFi works fine for him. Due to the nature how the Phantoms are designed and work the answer that Ethernet works better is simply wrong in this case. I’m solely referring to try to give a correct answer to the question of the OP. And there Jean-Marie was 100% correct. Where there is nothing to fix, there is nothing to gain. Adding a cable to a running wireless system can not improve it. It can only add an additional point of potential failure. In the Phantoms a track is streamed in about 10s to the internal memory, checked on bit accuracy and that’s it. Then it is played by the internal player of Phantom OS. Whatever path you choose is irrelevant as long as the internal buffer gets all the bits it needs to play before it plays it. Adding a cable at best can induce unwanted noise to the electronics of the Phantoms, I.e. have a negative influence on the SQ. Nothing against anybody that needs Ethernet due to congested WiFi and problems with it. And once Ethernet is needed there might be better or worse solutions. But where Ethernet is not needed to run the Phantoms where built-in PLC and WiFi without need of additional cable connections works fine there is no need to complicate the system. PLC and WiFi are there and Ethernet will not remove them. I’m talking here solely about the Phantoms and about what the OP wanted to know. Sorry, when this caused confusion.
(09-Oct-2021, 10:57)fabien44 Wrote: Hello

thanks for your answer.
I plan to change to Spotify Hifi when it comes out. I will use MConnect protocol.
Do you think i will lose SQ because of bandwidth issue compare to RAAT?

In fact, my wifi performance testing:
- 40 Mb/s down
- 55 Mb/s up
- 5ms latency h 43,2 Mb/s

Spotify Hifi is not out yet. So, I cannot say anything about the expected SQ and only speculate about the required bandwidth. Probably, the best SQ will be achieved through Spotify connect. I do not know if the Spotify connect protocol that is implemented in the Phantoms will require an update to work lossless. When this bandwidth you are presenting here is your worst case or your worst case performance is not much lower than your testing results you should be fine. Bandwidth requirements for hires music up to 192k/24 are lower.
(09-Oct-2021, 12:46)streamy Wrote:
(09-Oct-2021, 11:26)Snoopy8 Wrote: It is up to you to decide whether this area is worth exploring.  If you decide this is not for you, please continue to respect others...

I think there is some confusion here. Surely I respect all opinions. The OP clearly stated that WiFi works fine for him. Due to the nature how the Phantoms are designed and work the answer that Ethernet works better is simply wrong in this case. I’m solely referring to try to give a correct answer to the question of the OP. And there Jean-Marie was 100% correct. Where there is nothing to fix, there is nothing to gain. Adding a cable to a running wireless system can not improve it. It can only add an additional point of potential failure. In the Phantoms a track is streamed in about 10s to the internal memory, checked on bit accuracy and that’s it. Then it is played by the internal player of Phantom OS. Whatever path you choose is irrelevant as long as the internal buffer gets all the bits it needs to play before it plays it. Adding a cable at best can induce unwanted noise to the electronics of the Phantoms, I.e. have a negative influence on the SQ. Nothing against anybody that needs Ethernet due to congested WiFi and problems with it. And once Ethernet is needed there might be better or worse solutions. But where Ethernet is not needed to run the Phantoms where built-in PLC and WiFi without need of additional cable connections works fine there is no need to complicate the system. PLC and WiFi are there and Ethernet will not remove them. I’m talking here solely about the Phantoms and about what the OP wanted to know. Sorry, when this caused confusion.

You are absolutely wrong
@Johnnydev
Please elaborate.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(09-Oct-2021, 18:36)ragwo Wrote: @Johnnydev
Please elaborate.

I am very sure that after years of experimenting, with Ethernet, cables, EtherRegen with afterdark clock and LPS and optical modules and LPS on modem/router etc. there is no going back on my phantom golds.

The difference is substantial
At this moment i can observe every change even if it is only of 1 cable
Johnny, if you reverse back your system, do you think it less good? Changing sound does not mean better!?
(10-Oct-2021, 08:59)fabien44 Wrote: Johnny, if you reverse back your system, do you think it less good? Changing sound does not mean better!?

Yes, less good