Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Gold DAC
With all the news on the new gold phantom, no one has mentioned what dac they are using inside.  Old phantoms were limited to 192/24 with the TI dac inside.  Hopefully they have upgraded it to a dsd capable dac.  Anyone?
http://fr.devialet.com/phantom-implosive...ons-fr-fr/

This comparison should amswer your questions.

Anyone could listen to them?

Cheers
Francois
Qobuz/Sonos/D200/GT1 SE (offered to my father, who enjoys it every day)
2 Phantom Reactor 600 and Spotify Premium
It uses the Devialet DAC embedded in ADHV2 intelligence 24bits/192kHz so no DSD yet.
(30-Jun-2016, 13:41)Teliaved Wrote: http://fr.devialet.com/phantom-implosive...ons-fr-fr/

This comparison should amswer your questions.

Anyone could listen to them?

Cheers
Francois

Thanks for posting, that's useful. Now what we need is a white paper explaining what ADHV2 is. 

If Devialet want to send me a Gold Phantom I'd be more than delighted to review it!  Wink

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(30-Jun-2016, 13:44)cloudkicker Wrote: It uses the Devialet DAC embedded in ADHV2 intelligence 24bits/192kHz so no DSD yet.

It might do what the Expert amplifiers do and convert DSD to PCM using MAT. A good question to ask them I guess.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
http://en.devialet.com/phantom/#specifications/

Same link as above, in English.
Francois
Qobuz/Sonos/D200/GT1 SE (offered to my father, who enjoys it every day)
2 Phantom Reactor 600 and Spotify Premium
They should have just cut the crap and put something like an ESS Sabre in it. DSD Is really out of the question as the DSP has to be done in a PCM domain, DSP can't be done on bitstream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(16-Oct-2016, 18:07)DSD Wrote: They should have just cut the crap and put something like an ESS Sabre in it. DSD Is really out of the question as the DSP has to be done in a PCM domain, DSP can't be done on bitstream

I am glad they did not put an ESS chip in there. While the ESS Sabre DAC is very popular, I do not think it is the best. If the 1792 where to be replaced I think Devialet should look at using R2R for even better sound. As you say, it is all PCM processing anyway.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-Oct-2016, 14:10)ogs Wrote:
(16-Oct-2016, 18:07)DSD Wrote: They should have just cut the crap and put something like an ESS Sabre in it. DSD Is really out of the question as the DSP has to be done in a PCM domain, DSP can't be done on bitstream

I am glad they did not put an ESS chip in there. While the ESS Sabre DAC is very popular, I do not think it is the best. If the 1792 where to be replaced I think Devialet should look at using R2R for even better sound. As you say, it is all PCM processing anyway.

I wouldn't know where to start designing a DAC, but the little I know from reading what DAC designers have said makes me think it's less about the chip, and more about how well they know the chip they're using and how to extract the best from it. Although obviously as technology changes and improves, and feature sets are added, a jump has to be made at some point.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

There is so much more about a DAC than the chip that makes the D/A conversion.

Just because the ESS Sabre is a newer construction does it mean it sounds better than the two old TI 1792 used in the Expert range.

One of the best sounding SACD/DAC machines I have meet is a TAD DA1000 mk2 and that uses TI 1794 wich also is a older construction but it sounds excellent in this implementation.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree