Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom II Optical Cable - Disruptive Signal
I've recently bought a stereo pair of Phantom II 95db and I connected them to my TV via optical cable. For some reason the Phantom that has the optical cable plugged into keeps playing back disruptive audio... the other one sounds perfectly fine. It's always the one that has the optical cable inside. Then it stabilizes itself after about 2 minutes of reproducing bad audio. It plays audio well for about 5 minutes and then it starts disrupting again. It's really frustrating. The optical cable is brand new and the mini Toslink adapter fits snug and well. Any idea what the problem could be?

I will try to upload some files later.
Hi, in my case I had sound drops from time to time, increasing the latency from the app solved this.
(16-Jan-2024, 13:44)marius23mvp Wrote: Hi, in my case I had sound drops from time to time, increasing the latency from the app solved this.

Thank you! I'll try it as well. How many ms did you set the latency?
For tv watching I keep it at minimum 200 ms. The bigger this value is - the more stable connection you will have, but also with more lipsync problem.
I can watch a movie at 200 ms without sound drops, and with a decent (noticeable but bearable) lipsync. Minimum I think is 60 ms - this translates as almost no lipsync problem but with sound dropouts from time to time.
The dropouts can be small (almost like someone will play a little with the balance knob and not put it back perfectly at 0, by this affecting the stereo imaging - I feel like some sounds does not come out perfectly from the middle anymore and moves a little to the left or right) or bigger - real big cuts from the sound.
It depends I think on how big the audio track is and how much bandwidth it needs.
For example, I have a plex media server, and I saw that to stream a 4k movie usually I need about 20 mbps network capability (in total - I ment video + audio = maximum 20 mbps).
Probably with a bigger audio track you need a bigger network band than the Phantoms are capable of, for communication between them.
For another example - if I stream from Tidal via a Wiim Mini streamer with optical out into the Phantoms (no need for video, so lipsync is not a problem like when I watch a movie) and listen to a good quality audio file (MQA or FLAC) most likely at 200 ms I will have dropouts, so for Tidal I always keep the latency at 1000 - just to be sure.