Poll: What do you think causes this issue?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Changig Temperatures
0%
0 0%
Physical Damage
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom II - Strange Subwoofer behaviour
Hello, I recognized in the past three days that the subwoofers of my Devialet Phantom II are sometimes more outside of the speaker and sometimes more on the inside. In the morning the subwoofers are sticking out of the casing and in the evening they are further inside. The reason why I am asking is because the way they are sticking out in the morning doesnt look right at all, it looks like they are way too far outside. For context, my Devialet is sitting on a windowsill and the temparatures there can be very different, because the windowsill is quite cold and below the windowsill there is a heater. I just wanted to ask if I need to be worried that something is not right or if this behaviour is normal. I was not able to find any information on that in the internet. I have attched one image when the woofers are more outside and one where they are more on the inside. Soundwise the speaker is not affected at all, but I am still worried if this is normal ? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Short update: Devialet has finally answered my support ticket I opened 3 days ago, they are claiming this is not a normal behaviour and they would like to repair the speaker and swap the woofers. My concern with this is, the speaker is completely free of damage, it is barely being touched and I also do not use them that frequently due to my neighbors. I feel like this is really caused by the changig temperatures that the speaker is exposed to, and I have the feeling that this will happen again. Should I find a new space for my Devialet or is this issue really happening due to a physical damage? Right now the woofers are back to normal again, the image where the woofers are that far outside was taken 2 hours ago. Would like to know the opinion of someone who is more experienced with those speakersc, or even better would be if there is someone who has experienced the same thing? thanks in advance for your replies!!
I'd let Devialet repair the speaker.
If the cabinet of the speaker gets very warm/cold due to placement on the window sill it's probably wise to find a new location for the repaired speaker just to be on the safe side.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-Jan-2023, 15:16)ogs Wrote: I'd let Devialet repair the speaker.
If the cabinet of the speaker gets very warm/cold due to placement on the window sill it's probably wise to find a new location for the repaired speaker just to be on the safe side.

Will do the repair for sure, I am just a bit speechless that temperature changes can have such a big impact, since I mainly hear that the speakers are pretty durable and can be used outside as well.. Thanks for your reply!
Agree it's a little surprising, but remember that the air volume inside the speaker is very small. Heated air expands so that might push the woofers outwards. That's why I asked if the speaker gets very warm (from the heater underneath). @ragwo  is the only one here at DC who can answer this question. He has extensive experience rebuilding Phantoms.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(17-Jan-2023, 16:12)ogs Wrote: Agree it's a little surprising, but remember that the air volume inside the speaker is very small. Heated air expands so that might push the woofers outwards. That's why I asked if the speaker gets very warm (from the heater underneath). @ragwo  is the only one here at DC who can answer this question. He has extensive experience rebuilding Phantoms.

Its not getting very warm, my heater is having normal temperatures its not crazy hot.. Its just that the window sill can get pretty cold but I'd say its not extreme as well. I've asked Devialet as well how I can prevent this scenario in the future from their perspective, will post the reply here as well.
If your window sill is "normal" there is certainly something wrong with the speaker (which will be fixed on repair). I guess it should be OK to keep the speaker placed in the window if that is most convenient. Too cold is usually not a problem. High humidity or large temperature swings could be a problem, but I doubt it.
Devialetless!
I haven't disassembled nor owned a Phantom II, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help. After a bit of searching, you could say that air expands with very roughly 150 mL per liter if you heat it from 10°C to 50°C at sea level. If the internal volume of the speaker is about 3 litres, a really hot Phantom II could have approximately 450 mL more air inside. I don't know if the woofers would withhold the increased pressure, or give away and move outwards like in the picture. Please bare in mind that my calculations are based on a Google search and you have to take them with a bucket of salt.

Hopefully Devialet can give you a proper answer. Please keep us updated!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Hi @ragwo

I was thinking along the lines of 'how sealed is the cabinet' and 'does the gasket really seal the the cabinet this much - to keep the woofers pushed out for a long time?, but I didn't say it. Sorry about creating confusion.
I've seen that you have reassembled several Phantoms so I believe you know a lot about how they are made... in the physical context I think Phantom I and Phantom II are very similar
Devialetless!
(18-Jan-2023, 11:03)ragwo Wrote: I haven't disassembled nor owned a Phantom II, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help. After a bit of searching, you could say that air expands with very roughly 150 mL per liter if you heat it from 10°C to 50°C at sea level. If the internal volume of the speaker is about 3 litres, a really hot Phantom II could have approximately 450 mL more air inside. I don't know if the woofers would withhold the increased pressure, or give away and move outwards like in the picture. Please bare in mind that my calculations are based on a Google search and you have to take them with a bucket of salt.

Hopefully Devialet can give you a proper answer. Please keep us updated!

Many thanks for your detailed reply and calculations! Unfortunately Devialet has not commented yet on what could have caused this and how I can prevent that in the future. I've informed them that my speaker is completely free of any damage and is not used that frequently, I'm excited for their explaination/guess what could have caused this issue. 
So for the temperatures: My flat turns often to 17 degrees C and then I turn on the heater until my flat reaches 20 degrees C, so the temperature swing is quite low from my perspective, thats why I would never have thought this would be an issue if the speaker is standing there. Will keep you updated as soon as Devialet has reached out to me.